cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Fastmikefree
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Same boat here... pissed to have moved to AMD!

Issues with 5800x so replaced it as soon as I found a 5950x but terrible experience.

All stock was overheating. Had to upgrade all cooling system. Was running great for 2 days and now when gaming, random reboot with error 19 then 18.

Really tired of AMD!

My config:

+ 5950x

+Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero 

+64 GB Crucial Ballistix Max 4400 that I have to run on 3600 with AMD CPUs... (3800 max) vs 4400 on Intel

+2x WD_BLACK SN850 2 To NVMe

+ Corsair 1500W PSU

+Asus ROG Strix 3090

TrapoSAMA
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Hi!

if your CPU is stable after run some stress test try with set PCIe to 3.0, sometimes the GPU fail in auto.

TexasAVI03
Adept II

Jump to solution

Wow, incredible setup.  Good news, you do not need to buy anything!  Just make adjustments.  What GPU do you have?

My 5900X is working fine after tracking changes I made in the BIOS & their effect on performance. By monitoring voltages/current on the cores, memory, SoC, etc. board & eliminating Windows power/chip management controls. When would we start blaming the board manufactures not fully understanding the Zen3 architecture.  Just a thought from reading a lot of people who bought the exotic hardware who are having problems that are all Kernel-Power before WHEA.  (please confirm you have a Critical Kernel-Power event ID 41 error 10-20s before the WHEA event ID 18 error in the main log.)

Which ASUS BIOS are you running?  (The current BETA with USB power fix works fine, the USB issues are still showing up after 12 hours on my ASUS Strix B550-E; my computer is on from 6AM to 12AM during the work week how I know that...

For example, not listed on the supported RAM sheet, I have 64GB of Crucial RGB Pro CL18/3600 confirmed BDie, therefore they need to run over at 1.4 volts on the ASUS board (I am not an engineer I am just telling what has made my system work.  1.35 to 1.5 is where other have ran 2 to 4 sticks. of BDie on the ASUS boards X570/B550; I have a Prime X570 Pro that my 3900X was in and then my 5900X before I wanted something new, hence the B550-E); I am running the DRAM at 1.45v and the FLCK set to 1800/3600; timings are auto set & very loose as you can imagine but it works, it is fast, and haven't messed with that at this point.

Have you made any PBO/PBO2 (in AiTweaker vs Advance menu) changes or is everything on AUTO besides your RAM adjustments?

TrapoSAMA
Adept II

Jump to solution

Texas!

In my case for now CPU are stable but GPU crash when play mostly.

With this setting CPU go to stable

Enable PBO
Set power limits to Motherboard.
Set curve offset to 0 for all cores.
Set PBO boost override to 0.
Leave PBO Scaler at auto or start with a conservative 1x or 2x setting (you can raise this later if you wish but I have not found it to make much difference)

My FP are old and Power Supply Idle Control in the BIOS, from Auto to Typical Current Idle

PCIe set to Gen3 but GPU still crash

TrapoSAMA
Adept II

Jump to solution

and my mobo is a MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi Rev 1.0 Bios 1.C2

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Elite

Jump to solution

After contacting AMD tech support, below is the full list of troubleshooting they advised me to try, maybe one of the other solutions will work for you:

Update the system BIOS to latest version available from motherboard manufacturer (refer to motherboard user manual for instructions on updating the BIOS).

Set the BIOS to use factory default settings / optimized default settings (refer to motherboard user manual for instructions on restoring BIOS default settings).

In the BIOS, locate the Power Supply Idle Control option and set it to Typical (this option should be available in the Advanced section of the BIOS).

Update Windows to the latest version and build via Windows Update. For instructions, refer to article.

Update to latest chipset driver from AMD. For instructions, refer to article.

In Windows Control Panel, select Power Options and choose the Balanced (recommended) power plan. In Windows Settings, select Power & sleep and set the Performance and Energy slider to the middle.

Disable non-Microsoft services and startup items using the System Configuration Tool.

Reseat CPU, RAM, and all PSU power connections (end-to-end for modular PSUs). For more instructions, refer the product’s user manual.

Verify RAM sticks are installed in the correct DIMM slots (for socket AM4 motherboards with 4 DIMM slots, use A2 & B2).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-faq-8a903416-6f45-0718-f5c7-375e92dddeb2

I'd contact AMD if you're still having issues.

Fastmikefree
Adept II

Jump to solution

@TexasAVI03 

Thx for your reply! Yep, we can see it like that!  

That is part of the reason I am so frustrated...

My GPU is an Asus Rog Strix OC 3090.

You are right, I got an error 41 exactly 12 second before error 19 than 18.

My bios is the 3401, last available on Asus website. 

I am running all stock but RAM setup since I had to downgrade the 4400 1.4V to 3800 with FCLK at 1900.

Note that I can let it run in all benchmarks for hours with no issue.  (OCCT, Cinebench, etc...)

That unexpected reboot happened when gaming (Battlefield 5). Highest temp by then was 79°C.

I found on another forum someone saying that can be due to AMD CBS/PSU to be set at 'low current idle' in place of 'auto', what I just changed, but pessimistic about that one since I believe that to be related to idle period, what is not the case when gaming such an FPS. 

I did not change anything else like C State or other... so any advice will be welcomed! 

Many thanks

Tags (1)
Cmdr-ZiN
Elite

Jump to solution

I never had any sudden reboots while playing games, I did have a bunch of game crashes but that's Rockstar allowing hackers to crahs games

See if it's happening in multiple games.

I did have a crash immediately after quiting a game and the pc going to zero usage but only happened a couple of times, the rest was at idle and my PSU wasn't a recent design.

Your ram is a very high speed is it one of the QVL models for you MOBO? RAM speeds aren't always garuanteed.

Do you have more details on the error 41?

Many issues could cause this same result, the PSU idle thing was new to me though.

TexasAVI03
Adept II

Jump to solution

@Fastmikefree I wrote you this incredibly long response with all my settings etc. and my bios setup...and its gone.  I didnt save it like an idiot either.  This board has a moderator problem.

BillAdama
Adept I

Jump to solution

@Fastmikefree 

hi, I didn't catch up on the whole thread, so sorry if you tried this, but

try manually overclocking the RAM and see if you can find something stable.

I had reboots at idle, WHEA 19 errors, and kernal 41 errors as well. My RAM is 3600mhz via XMP profile.

I disabled XMP, then slowly worked my way down until I hit a stable config - 3200mhz with timings accordingly. 1.36volts. Haven't had a reboot in two days now. WHEA errors are gone.

I should mention, this configuration was stable for nearly two years at 3600mhz (running a 3700x). I did update the BIOS, but these problems did not appear until almost 3 weeks later. Maybe coincidental, or bug in the BIOS/AGESA that took some time to appear. I don't know...I don't want to keep flashing the BIOS to find out, since I am stable again.

My suspicion is that FCLK over 1600mhz is causing it to happen.