cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zukmeister
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

well i got my RMA in, 4th week 2021 cpu.  I no longer have WHEA errors but my computer still re-starts once a night about 3ish AM while idle due to a bug check error.  I'm going to try re-installing windows and see if it helps.  I have never had these issues with an intel processor ever 

0 Likes
TexasAVI03
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Do you have a KERNEL-Power Error Event ID 41 (63) before a WHEA Error Event ID 18?

If so research that error and the things to turn off in Windows.

AS a matter of record are you on the latest version of Windows? 20H2 build 19042.870?

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Jump to solution

"hi!

can you put your bios parameters? i have a MSI mobo with 5900X.

Thx"

I have and X470 ASUS Crosshair VII with the latest UEFI update and an Ryzen 9 5950X.  Cooling is an EKWB custom loop with a monoblock (cools CPU as well as VRM components).

DRAM is 4 single rank DIMMs at 1.35V, 3600MHz and CL14.  I can post full manual timing here if needed, but I do not use the DOCP profile.

All other settings at at default except...

CSM is disabled.

Precision boost overdrive is enabled in "AMD Overclocking"  However, PPT/TDC/EDC are set manually with 215W/140A/160A.  Scalar is 1X and the auto overclocking is set to +100. 

Those power settings were determined based on my cooling solution (EKWB custom loop).   I recommend starting with PO on, but setting PPT/TDC/EDC to 142W/95A/140A.  Those are the stock settings and should behave identical to having PBO disabled.  If the system is 100% stable with those settings,  you can then slowly raise them until your errors return, the system becomes unstable, you hit the temperature you want, or your all core boost starts to climb over 1.3V. 

For me, I stopped at the settings listed above because going further saw pretty dramatic increases in temperature with minor performance gains.  The all core boost voltage also started to creep over 1.3V as well, which you certainly don't want for silicon longevity.

These settings are 100% stable for me.  No random restarts, and I can pass OCCT large and small data sets without issue.

0 Likes
Blackdove77
Adept I

Jump to solution

Received my RMA this morning. Took 12 days to ship from Canada to US using Canada Post, They examined and approved the CPU 3 hours after receiving it, shipped one back to me that same day and it took 4 days to ship to me.

New CPU was 2104, and so far has been working perfect. Shoved it in first thing this morning, reset bios to defaults except DOCP enabled (CPU I RMA'd needed PBO & CPB turned off to not WHEA) and now it's been 9 hours so far of fortnite running, 3 video streams going, and me doing my day job all day without a single WHEA... will continue letting it go but so far so good! The previous CPU would WHEA usually within 20 minutes of fortnite running.

nopigscannnotlookup
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

**bleep**.  I’m having the same issues!   Rma’ed my 5950x due to whea errors, now getting BSODs due to bug check with the replacement CPU.  Multiple reinstallations of win 10.  Did not help.  Come on AmD!  

0 Likes
nopigscannnotlookup
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Deleted.  Repost

0 Likes
nopigscannnotlookup
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Deleted. Repost. 

0 Likes
TrapoSAMA
Adept II

Jump to solution

Hi!

is not a CPU problem mostly is a chipset mix problem. CPU/Chipset and mobo manufacturing

sometimes is fixed with a cpu change, other changing the mobo/chipset.

Not all X570 mobo have this problem WHEA/reboot/BSOD 😞

0 Likes
ace50k
Adept I

Jump to solution

That's what I'm starting to think since the issues have appeared/disappeared with various AGESA versions.  Probably a combination of AGESA and motherboard-specific firmware in my opinion.  If it was a widespread CPU issue I would of expected numerous tech sites to be reporting it.  Doesn't make it any less annoying for those suffering issues, though and my previous Intel systems have been rock-solid.  Mind you, my 2700X and 3900X systems (the 3900X installed on the same ASUS board) have not missed a beat except when setting DOCP with 4 DIMMs.

0 Likes
TrapoSAMA
Adept II

Jump to solution

Oh yes! intel is a rock, but this issues, spontaneous reboot (WHEA error) and BSOD is a bad image 😕

0 Likes