cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Blackdove77
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Saw mention of 2020 CPU's. This issue doesn't just come up with those. I have a 2102 which is experiencing the same and awaiting RMA approval.

0 Likes
root1308
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Hi NanoExplorer,

many thanks for your response. I guess, the best way is to talk to my local dealer for a replacement about my existing CPU.

Unfortunately, currently no spare CPU are in stock. But it's a global problem

I hope I will get a new one and can fully enjoy the power of 12 cores...

Greetings from Germany

0 Likes
3Dfx
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Now reaching system builders... the widespread issue continues and AMD is so silent...

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-hardware/AMD-Machine-Check-Exception---X570-Chipsets-2080/

zukmeister
Adept II

Jump to solution

I just signed up for an RMA on mine today.  It reset 3 times in the middle of the night last night during idle.  This shouldn't be happening and it's only a matter of time before it resets when I'm doing something really important.  

What sucks is I don't have another cpu to throw in there while I wait for a new one so I'll have to go back to my trusty 8th gen intel laptop that hasn't crashed ever.  Shame on you AMD 

zukmeister
Adept II

Jump to solution

how long of a timeframe am I looking at for turn around on 5900x?  Couple of weeks?

0 Likes
root1308
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hi NanoExplorer,

today I disassamble the 5900X and saw the number BG 2105 SUS.

So, I have no idea, whats the number indicates.... 2105 --> Manufactured on Week 5, 2021?

Is this serious good?

Greetings, rootIMG_3081_changed.jpg

0 Likes
FirefoxNS
Journeyman III

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18,19 and Graphics

Jump to solution

Hola,

Despues de haber publicado una posible solucion con mi Ryzen 3600X

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18,19 and Graphics

Antes de hacer dichos pasos ejecute este codigo, espero entiendan la solucion posteada, esta solucion la tome de un foro de DELL para procesadores Intel:

https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/WHEA-Logger-Processor-Core-Internal-Parity-Error-on...

Ejecute este codigo con PowerShell como Administrador:

Link referencia: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/windows-server-guidance-to-protect-against-speculative-exe...

AMD processors only: Enable the full mitigation for CVE-2017-5715 (Spectre Variant 2)

By default, user-to-kernel protection for CVE-2017-5715 is disabled for AMD CPUs. Customers must enable the mitigation to receive additional protections for CVE-2017-5715.  For more information, see FAQ #15 in ADV180002.

Enable user-to-kernel protection on AMD processors along with other protections for CVE 2017-5715:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 64 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

If the Hyper-V feature is installed, add the following registry setting:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtualization" /v MinVmVersionForCpuBasedMitigations /t REG_SZ /d "1.0" /f

If this is a Hyper-V host and the firmware updates have been applied: Fully shut down all Virtual Machines. This enables the firmware-related mitigation to be applied on the host before the VMs are started. Therefore, the VMs are also updated when they're restarted.

Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

AMD processors only: Enable the full mitigation for CVE-2017-5715 (Spectre Variant 2) and CVE 2018-3639 (Speculative Store Bypass)

By default, user-to-kernel protection for CVE-2017-5715 is disabled for AMD processors. Customers must enable the mitigation to receive additional protections for CVE-2017-5715.  For more information, see FAQ #15 in ADV180002.

Enable user-to-kernel protection on AMD processors along with other protections for CVE 2017-5715 and protections for CVE-2018-3639 (Speculative Store Bypass):

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 72 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

If the Hyper-V feature is installed, add the following registry setting:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtualization" /v MinVmVersionForCpuBasedMitigations /t REG_SZ /d "1.0" /f

If this is a Hyper-V host and the firmware updates have been applied: Fully shut down all Virtual Machines. This enables the firmware-related mitigation to be applied on the host before the VMs are started. Therefore, the VMs are also updated when they're restarted.

Restart the computer for the changes to take effect

Espero les funcione.

0 Likes
ivan-filippov
Adept III

Jump to solution

"today I disassamble the 5900X and saw the number BG 2105 SUS. So, I have no idea, whats the number indicates.... 2105 --> Manufactured on Week 5, 2021?"

Yep, BG2105 = the 5th week of 2021

zukmeister
Adept II

Jump to solution

I found an old picture of my processor before I installed it... I asked for an RMA today

Processor says BG 2049PGS

I imagine this is a late 2020 processor... ones with reported issues right?

0 Likes
Numbernine
Adept I

Jump to solution

Update #3! (Original Post, Update #1, Update #2).

It's been a while since I posted - it took me a little longer than planned to ship the CPU back to AMD (c/o ModusLink) in Florida. The day my RMA was approved we got a bad snowstorm here and didn't feel like venturing to Fedex in miserable weather! Anyway, I digress.

My replacement 5900X arrived today (batch 2104 for those interested - previous was 2051) and I finished installing it about an hour ago. So far, things look very promising! I began by resetting the BIOS settings to default, then enabling an XMP profile. I've ensured that the chipset drivers are up-to-date in Windows 10, and even used Ryzen Master to apply some overclocking to the CPU. Everything seems perfectly stable so far; no crashes under load (e.g. while running Furmark, OCCT, or Prime95) and - more importantly - no crashes while running at idle or near-idle. All of this is using the same hardware configuration that I mentioned in my first post, and without any of the other BIOS workarounds that are frequently touted to "solve" the WHEA problem either (e.g. disabling C-States, disabling CPB/PBO, changing voltages, etc.).

Given the 'spastic' nature of the problem, I will need to run this configuration for a while before I would feel comfortable saying that it's solved, but so far I'm very optimistic; at the time when I returned the CPU, running Windows for more than 20 minutes without encountering the WHEA error was difficult. RMAing the CPU really does seem like it fixed the problem. Note that I do not think this should be the first solution anyone should try - there are a lot of potential causes of WHEA errors and/or Machine Check Exceptions. It's painful, but you really should try swapping all the other hardware you can before reaching the conclusion of, "yes, the CPU is faulty."

Now, if anyone from AMD is reading this: let's talk about your RMA process.

Firstly, it's pretty sad that you don't offer an "Advance RMA" process, which is to say a process where I provide you a credit card number, you post a temporary charge for the cost of the CPU, send me the new CPU, I return the old CPU, and you remove the temporary charge when you get the old one back (or permanently charge me if you don't get it!). I'm fortunate enough that I had another CPU I could use during the in-between period, but for those without a backup CPU, they're totally SOL. I've done this process with other hardware manufacturers in the past - why not you? It's 2021 - we have the technology.

Secondly, the shipping back to Florida at my expense is kind of a kick in the junk. I only owned the CPU for a month and then have to pay an additional $80 CAD for a warranty claim on an already expensive CPU? It's seriously making me reconsider AMD CPUs going forward. I'm happy to have a working CPU now, but... yeesh.

To your credit: the CSRs that I dealt with via email where very friendly and helpful, and the time between "defective CPU received in Florida" and "notification of shipped replacement CPU" was in the order of a few hours, which is excellent, and the two-day shipping back to me was very much appreciated.

Overall, the RMA process is okay but has definite room for improvement.

I'll post back here again in a few days with a (hopefully) final update on the health and behaviour of the replacement CPU!