cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

delevero
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

update to my own problems wih the 5900x and kernel power id 41 ( 63 ) error code, after the computer turn off in games after 5-15-30 minutes.  ( defective cpu )

I have today bought a new 3600xt cpu and replaced the 5900x cpu.
Instant my pc run smooth and 0 crashes in games.

Very long story short i replaced all my hardware and did stress tests for 8 houres and even torture tests of the hardware.. with the 5900x the stress tests all passed and computer run stable all night doing tests.. But if turned on any game the computer would turn itself off after a few minutes.
The only way i could play games with the 5900x cpu was if i manualy went into advanced mode in bios and changed cpuVcore from auto to 1,375v then i could play for houres.. BUT this is not a good solution since the cpu will not perform as expected when it cant control the power itself.
I also notised that at auto or manual power settings the cpu no matter what would always run faster than expected out of the box.. without overlocking it would boost to 4952mhz on all cores now and then..all thoug hthat is great, i do wonder if its normal since the cpu specifications say it should run from 3700-4800mhz.. I did not overclock anything.
No matter what any VR game would crash the pc after 10-15 minutes even if i manualy control the cpuVcore.
My problem was simply that if i select factory default/load default settings in bios then the computer would crash in games.
That is NOT how its supposed to work, a cpu should work out of the box at factory settings and be stable.!!!

My conclution after 3 month of issues and instability is my cpu is defective and i have desided to RMA the cpu though its very difficult to get a new one.

My advice try the above, or be prepared to RMA your cpu and get a new one.. You properbly have a defective cpu.
ps.. pc magazines and talk on the net indicated that the new ryzen cpus have a higher than normal failure rate.
My cpu is one of the first that was avaliable to the public. ( they where sold out in less than 8 minutes )
I bought it at www.komplett.dk

If anyone want to know then these are the numbers written on my cpu / production number ect.

Ryzen 9 5900x
100-00000006   ( maybe there is a 2 after 6  not sure )
BG 2046SUS
4520117W00422
Diffused in usa
Diffused in Taiwan
Made in China
2020 AMD

vishal9195
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Can can also try

* WITH CPB ENABLED

*Change Dynamic V-Core DVID from AUTO to NORMAL and offset it to +0.100 volt 

It should work for those who are getting crashes after Enabling CPB. 

0 Likes
Numbernine
Adept I

Jump to solution

Update #2 (previous update here):

AMD has apparently agreed that I've exhausted all debugging options available to me and provides for an RMA under warranty. I'll be shipping the CPU back to them in tomorrow - hopefully I'll have a working CPU in a couple weeks. I'll post back the results of the new CPU when it arrives!

0 Likes
zukmeister
Adept II

Jump to solution

wait... for RMA they want you to send in the CPU then wait weeks for a new one?  Screw that, I'm going to dump this 5900x to some poor sucker locally on facebook and go intel.  I was really excited to be back on a powerful AMD machine but this thing is fragile and crashes randomly.  Never under full load, which is what's so **bleep** weird.  Get your **bleep** together AMD, you just lost another customer. 

Numbernine
Adept I

Jump to solution

@zukmeister  Unfortunately so. I still have a 3700X that I can use in its place for now, so it doesn't bother me too much - but if I were in a situation where I didn't have other PC components to use (e.g. if I were building a PC for the first time), this would definitely be a bad experience.

If this were any other PC component, I would just return it to the store that I bought it from - but since the store sold out of 5900X's within a few minutes on the day that I bought mine, and they have no idea when they'll get more, they wouldn't be able to offer me an exchange anyway.

The whole situation sucks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Jump to solution

I suggest exploring threads from more sources than here. There's a few simple things in BIOS besides the newest 2.1.0.0 out for most boards that cure the low power crash problem on many 5000 series CPU's. Like set your SOC voltage to 1.10v, default is 1.2 or higher. There's c-state adjustments that can stop it, not using XMP/DOCP settings can help too. RMA usually isn't the fix at all for the low power crash problem. But you both are bent on going down the RMA path or selling it to some guy on Facebook (who will do the adjustments and have a good CPU), so I won't waste my time trying to help. 

I do agree a degree in computer science should not be a requirement to own an AMD CPU or GPU. Nor should one need to hunt down info about these things for days/weeks, wait for BIOS updates, etc. It all should be consistently working not failing. Good luck!

"It worked before you broke it!"
K0NG95
Adept II

Jump to solution

That's bs.

first:
there is no "new 2.1.0.0" Bios/Agesa.

second:
the SOC Voltage never exceeds 1.15V (at it's absolute max stable 1:1:1 Clock)
Stock is 1.1V

third:
All your "tips and tricks" like crippling your performance, disabling stuff that is supposed to run etc. are not a solution in the first place.. and second that does not fix anything at all.

you wasted your time with trying to defend the same old problem that can not be fixed by the user in 100% of all cases with posts and "ideas" that the same fanboys on reddit took over here.

it's AMDs fault, they are the only one who can fix it. it seems to be a Hardware issue and there is NO SOLUTION.

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Jump to solution

I'm using the new BIOS AGESA 1.2.0.0 from AsRock 2/5/21, I got the numbers out of order. SOC on many boards are over 1.1 for the 5000 series. 1:1:1 is the memory to fabric ratio, not he SOC voltage or anything to do with that. As far as "fanboys" or whatever, look at  my results. 

There is a "fix" for most of this non-sense and with 22 years experience selling and building mostly AMD PC's, passing the Microsoft software/hardware certification tests, I have enough knowledge to go beyond Redditt. Besides, that is a decent source for info if you know where to look. There's an AMD area, and one for nearly every part or board manufacturer, along with Discord's to various tech related or manufacturer direct support, that you're missing out. 

Of course not all  case will be correctable, most can be. Decent resultsDecent resultsTemps, all core OC at 4700Temps, all core OC at 4700Custom timingsCustom timings3 times a winner3 times a winner

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
K0NG95
Adept II

Jump to solution

exactly what i said.

the SOC voltage does NOT reach 1.2V. and it can not since it's governed by the CPU which limits it to 1.15V at stock settings.

you have a SOC Voltage of 1.15v on average. and it can not touch 1.2V (even if it's going to 1.19)

and your "fixes" are nothing bearable for a customer and indicate a hardware defect.

telling someone to only drive 40 km/h and not going above 4000 RPM in their brand new car is not a fix.. it's a bandaid fix until you get a functional car.

not being able to run a CPU completely stock without even visiting the bios is in fact an issue that shows that something is wrong with the product.

my failure rate of Zen 3 CPUs is at the moment 100%.

i have three Zen 3 Chips and all of them are not behaving normally.
5800X = Cache hierarchy reboots
5900X = Cache hierarchy errors (RMA)
RMA replacement 5900X = Unstable at stock speeds in Cinebench and other "Stress" tests.

we don't need a discussion about crippling performance with disabling XMP, Core Boost or even just disabling anything in the bios.

AMD has to fix it, refund the customers with broken CPUs and at least having a official post where they explain that they are known of the issue and they will fix the problem for every single existing CPU on the Market.
anything is completely unacceptable and needs no further discussion.

artur_aragao
Elite

Jump to solution

Esteemed,

I feel for you. The WHEA problem is related to n variants. Some cases are the CPU, others the VGA, memory, source, cables or drivers. It sucks to do the identification. For that, just patience.

After 2 months with headaches caused by problems with the VGA RX 5700XT, I decided on two well-thought-out days to go to nVIDIA with the ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070. I have no regrets. It was Plug n 'Play! Plugged in, installed drivers, didn't even need to configure the drivers, played. That simple.

I will not return to AMD on VGAs until it improves design and drivers. I do not indicate for ANY VGAs of architectures derived from NAVI (v.1, v.2 and v.3).

I removed the RX 5700XT, put the RTX 3070 on and all my problems are over.

I want God to direct friends where the problem really is and that they be resolved as soon as possible.

[ AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | XPG LEVANTE 240 | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C91) - 7C91v16 | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz XPG SPECTRIX | EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB | XPG CORE REACTOR 850W | SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB ]
0 Likes