cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

JoltCola
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Usually newer AGESA fixes reboots on idle, but I see F33A has AGESA 1.2.0.0. Try setting power supply to typical in CBS settings. Also try giving your vCore, vMem, and vSOC a bit more juice via offsets, see if any of those stabilize it.

0 Likes
artur_aragao
Elite

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

I will spend a few things here that I have been analyzing and have greatly improved the stability in the system.

These WHEA problems can be related even with PSU, Mainboard and CPU. I particularly consider that the problems can in most cases here be linked to other factors.

If you have tested all the components, we can predict that there are more problems related to the devices (not the ones already mentioned) connected to this system, or the system itself and drivers that may be contributing to it. Drivers use IRQs transparently for us.

In my case, it stabilized A LOT by changing memories that were not compatible and uninstalling Corsair Link, which is no longer supported and therefore, the app may have problems that could cause BSOD, crashes and restarts. Take a look at the Corsair Forum and you will see that. I haven't fully remedied the problem, but it has been 4 to 5 days since I received BSODs. The Dragon Center from MSI I do not enable the gamers features and so far the system has not caused me any more problems.
However I am analyzing.

I am suspicious, also that it may be a bug in the Microsoft operating system. But that would need to be analyzed. I disabled Fast Boot in Windows 10 and in the BIOS. It helped a lot.

So the tip I give, if you have devices that are constantly monitored and managed by some software, validate that the USB cable that is connected or the app is not causing the anomaly.

And I consider that there is still a fine adjustment of BIOS for these problems.

[ AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | XPG LEVANTE 240 | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C91) - 7C91v16 | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz XPG SPECTRIX | EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB | XPG CORE REACTOR 850W | SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB ]
0 Likes
bnom
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Thanks for this.. I may try to run MemTest Manual just to double check but I think I found the issue.

I decided to change my CPU voltage from auto to offset and offset it by -0.2V. This seemed to stop the crashes, but I am just concerned if I should RMA the chip or if this is a BIOS issue. I was also wondering if I plug in the 6 and 4 pin to the CPU Power headers if this would help. I tried a smaller offset but the crashes were happening at -0.1V

0 Likes
bnom
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Just curious, how long did the RMA process take?

0 Likes
artur_aragao
Elite

Jump to solution

Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.0 for the MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI is out.

Validate with your manufacturers if the BIOS came out.

[ AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | XPG LEVANTE 240 | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C91) - 7C91v16 | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz XPG SPECTRIX | EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB | XPG CORE REACTOR 850W | SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB ]
0 Likes
zukmeister
Adept II

Jump to solution

I think i'm going to start an RMA on my 5900x... my last time buying an AMD processor.  What a shame 

0 Likes
artur_aragao
Elite

Jump to solution

Good!

I had already achieved stability with some of the things I did and posted here. I was still analyzing if anything could happen, but now the BIOS that was waiting is out. The ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.0 version seems very stable. However, testing still. I already activated Resize-BAR. We will test later with the games.

Validate with your mainboard manufacturers if it already exists, even if it is a BIOS BETA with AGESA ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.0. I felt an improvement here in stability and performance.

I hope you find it soon

0 Likes
ivan-filippov
Adept III

Jump to solution

"my last time buying an AMD processor.  What a shame"

zukmeister, I also blamed the processor but after checks in the shop's service, I was told that the defects were in the motherboard (Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master) and in the memory (Kingston PredatorX 2x16GB 3600c17).

I mean, that I understand all your disappointments but let's try to be cold minded here:

1. You will not find any Intel's CPU comparable to 5900x\5950x (and it's useless to wait for Rocket Lake as 11900k will have 8 cores only)

2. It's ok if sometimes we got hardware with defects - that's how we can test the support service

Anyway - I hope that your next build will work perfectly. Good luck

0 Likes
Sbanks1987
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

The symptoms I was getting were very similar to this post. Tried everything and was putting it down to faulty 5950x or motherboard. In the end I've not had a similar crash since I uninstalled the nzxt cam software. Maybe it's worth trying with similar software like someone mentioned above with the Corsair. Hope it works out because I understand how frustrating it can be. 

0 Likes
artur_aragao
Elite

Jump to solution

I'm glad you solved your case.
I was the one who posted about Corsair Link.
I recommend that you do a search, as most likely it is actually some software installed.
But I need to make a reservation. The BIOS with AGESA 1.2.0.0 gave a super stabilization in the system as a whole. I understand that this can also be a resolution step.

I still have Fast Boot in BIOS and Windows 10 disabled. The Fast Boot in the BIOS kept my SSD speed below the nominal. And these disabled features have further stabilized my situation with the previous BIOS. So, I still need to take a few more days and validate the Fast Boot feature again.