cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

artur_aragao
Elite

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

In your case, it may be something beyond memory. You need to investigate. Blue screen is something related to the driver or device. In some specific cases an application that may have replaced an important dll for the system.

Give Malwarebytes a visit beforehand to check if it is clean.

@majkiel69 wrote:

I had rather blue screens with WHEA, not just restarts.

[ AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | XPG LEVANTE 240 | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C91) - 7C91v16 | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz XPG SPECTRIX | EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB | XPG CORE REACTOR 850W | SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB ]
0 Likes
artur_aragao
Elite

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@mackbolan777 wrote:

@artur_aragao 

Try using the 20.8.3 driver. I have an entire "fix" based on that driver posted on here but I can't find it right now. Here's the link:

AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT Previous Drivers | AMD Scroll to the Windows 10 version you need. Anything beyond the 20.9.2 I can't say will work right. These newer drivers have no new additions for the 5000 series cards as they are EOL. They have things for the 6000 series but for whatever reason the 5000 series components don't behave well using drivers newer than the 20.9.2 and some cards don't like that one, so 20.8.3 is the best bet.

Use DDU in safe mode to remove the current drivers, if you didn't already know that.

I could then use this version 2.9.1 which is WHQL and includes these fixes, right?

[ AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | XPG LEVANTE 240 | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C91) - 7C91v16 | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz XPG SPECTRIX | EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB | XPG CORE REACTOR 850W | SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB ]
0 Likes
bnom
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I currently have this exact problem except with a Asus B550 - A board.

Wondering if I should tweak some voltages or revert Bios back to V2 PI 1.1.9.0

Any ideas? Currently running stock BIOS

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Jump to solution

@artur_aragao , @bnom 

Yes you can use 20.9.1 if it's working. Even 20.9.2 should work. I found 20.8.3 to be the most stable. Each case may be different and don't but all your faith in WHQL certification. That happens after so much time goes by, regardless of outstanding issues, if nothing is harming the OS per se. Think of it as "period" in a sentence. 

bnom, I need more info than just part of the board model. If you were stable with a previous BIOS, than yes, revert. If you're not overclocking, the 5900x should work just fine out of the box or something else is going on. The BIOS you're listing is 1 version newer than the first stable release. The V2 PI 1.1.9.0 is marked as "Beta" and adds SAM functionality.

New UEFI BIOS updates for ASUS AMD motherboards W01 - B550, X570, B450, X470 - 36 Boards - Includes ...

"It worked before you broke it!"
Tags (1)
0 Likes
amas35
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I received my replacement 5900x from Newegg today. It took them two weeks to process the RMA and ship out a new one. If I am reading this lot number correctly, the new one they shipped was manufactured 6 weeks earlier than the one I sent back. I got a new tuf x570 pro board in the meanwhile which still had errors with the old CPU. New CPU posts perfectly fine and is also able to run cinebench. I believe the BIOS is the beta ver that they released on Christmas.

Judging by what else is happening in this thread, it really was an extremely bad bin for my old CPU. I wasn't even able to boot to desktop with the previous chip, unlike others who just needed to pump more voltage to it.

0 Likes
bnom
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I currently own the following PC build. It was built about two weeks ago and was running fine but then last week it started having random shutdowns. When the shutdowns start I was running BIOS 1202, I had not updated to a new bios when the shut downs started. I upgraded to 1801 and that did not seem to help.

I have tried everything I could possibly come up with and done all of the recommendations people have given me. I replaced all of the hardware minus the CPU and the issue still existed. I recently updated the chipset and the graphics card drivers and the crashes started happening less on the boot up, but I am still unable to boot any games without instant crashes. 

I am beginning to think my 5600x is faulty but I am unsure how to test this since in OCCT the chip runs fine. I attempted turning CPB and PBO as well as tweaking the CPU voltages and nothing seems to work.

I reset my BIOS to optimized settings and of course that did not help.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($159.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($180.00)

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Adorama)

Power Supply: Corsair RMx White (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($213.99 @ Amazon)

Case Fan: Lian Li UNI SL120 58.54 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($80.00)

Case Fan: Lian Li UNI SL120 58.54 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($80.00)

0 Likes
delevero
Adept III

Jump to solution

I have similar issue with crashing of my 5900x cpu and 6900xt gpu.
I had to revert to the first avaliable bios that made the 5000 series ryzen compatible wiht my motherboard and then i can in 95% of the time play games without it crashing.. actual i played without issues for about a week but it crashed 5 minutes ago in hitman 3.  Any of the new bios updates from december and january for my motherboard = crash within 30 minutes in all games.

So something is clearly wrong with the bios drivers and the new 5900x or 6900xt hardware.

ps.  there are some news about something named AGESA 1.1.9.0 firmware that have af fix of some kind, but its not yet avaliable for my motherboard ( inside the bios )   https://www.techpowerup.com/276833/amd-announces-agesa-1-1-9-0-firmware-updates-improve-fclk-oc-stab...

0 Likes
zukmeister
Adept II

Jump to solution

what a sh*tshow this is.  Brand new 5900x high end processor shouldn't have these issues

Any asus guys on here try the beta version 3402 of the bios?  Says it includes an Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0

0 Likes
ivan-filippov
Adept III

Jump to solution

Hello, guys - a bit more information from me - I send to the shop's service for checking
1. Motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus B-550 Master)

2. Memory (Kingston HyperX Predator [HX436C17PB3K2/32])

3. CPU AMD 5900x

After checks, I got an answer from service - both memory and motherboard had defects - but the CPU worked perfectly fine under load and in idle mode. So if you have the same issue with restarts - try to double-check if the motherboard and memory are fine. Ideally, try to get all parts in one shop with good service - so you can send everything together for quality control in case of any issues.

Anthos
Adept II

Jump to solution

Guys try to provide some more information. Just saying you had a crash is extremely vague as literally anything can cause one. Go into your event viewer and see what critical error it states. It helps narrow down a bit what might have caused the issue.