cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

CrispyCrunch
Adept II

Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-Power

Mainboard: MSI x570 Unify
Mainboard-BIOS: 7C35vA82 (Beta version)
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
RAM: Crucial Ballistix BL2K32G36C16U4B 3600 MHz, 64GB (32GB x2)
Drive: M.2 Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB SSD
Graphics: SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
PSU: be quiet straight power 11 750w Platinum
Chipset driver: 2.9.28.509 (released 2020-11-09)

I first assembled the PC with a Ryzen 3800x a week ago because it was unclear if and when I would get the Ryzen 5900x I ordered. Worked with the included AMD Prism Wrath CPU cooler for one week without any problems.

- Today I installed a Ryzen 5900x and a Scythe Fuma 2 CPU cooler.
- After 20 min the first crash/restart with the following entries in the Event Viewer: WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-Power ID 41.
- Happens irregularly again and again, sometimes after minutes, sometimes longer: Windows freezes for a few seconds and then the PC reboots. Doesn't matter if load or not.
- CPU temperature between 30 and 40 °C
- Updated to BIOS and chipset driver mentioned above: Problem still exists
- XMP Profile disabled (RAM on 2600 MHz): problem still exists
- CMOS Reset: Problem still exists

Either there is a compatibility problem of something with the CPU, or the CPU is defective?
What to do? Really frustrating.

2 Solutions

Im having a similar issue, x570 aorus and 5600x. Have same errors on windows. 

Disable CBP and PBO and run it at default settings (3.7 ghz and xmp on). That works for me. 

View solution in original post

I got a new angle on this. So deactivating PBO and CBS definetely works, PC was running stable for a week now. But you'll loose performance.

So I wrote to the MSI support and the AMD support.

MSI suggested to try increasing the DRAM Voltage by 0.05 V, which I did. System seems to be stable, no crashes so far - neither in idle or while gaming.

View solution in original post

947 Replies

Yes, most likely. I have seen way too many problems with these new processors. Some running very hot, some having these issues. If you can, change processor and you'll see. RMA if you can.

0 Likes

I just can't believe that. I can RMA my cpu but currently I hate AMD. I can return my cpu but it is unbuyable right now. Well I can buy it but it's around 80 USD pricier than my copy.

0 Likes

msi b450 tomahawk max and 5900x, same issue for 2 days.

i was using 3700x and then i upgraded cpu with the new bios of msi. after cpu upgrade system isnt stable, i got lots of black screens (monitor lose signal). i tried everything and nothing seems working. i tried disabling cpu boost options and i dont know if i'll get another black screen again. 

by disabling boost options simply i'm using worse cpu than 3700x and i paid twice of 3700x. i hope a bios update or something else can solve this mess.

Try upgrading to the last BIOS version, then setting EDC current limit to like 300A and then gradually raise all cores Curve optimizer from plus 4 up until the system is stable. It seems to help several people with similar problems already. Of course it’s overvoltage and cripples the CPU performance, but much less than disabling CPB.

I think the Curve number is gonna be a kind of an AMD **bleep**-o-meter. The more the number, the deeper bottom of the binning your CPU is from.

I have latest bios for my tomahawk. It's besta bios but I think that people reported that it's working correctly.

I don't remember seeing curve optimizer in bios.

Where should I look for it?

As I said I have two weeks (12 to be exact) to return CPU

I'm not going to RMA because it's never work. I'm saying this from my 15 years or more experience with pc and other similar stuff. It was always like this:

Problem occured. I tried to find solution. Gave up after hours or days of testing.

RMA faulty stuff

Wait 3 weeks or something just to recieve information that they can't reproduce/repeat a problem.

For me this is how RMA works.

Worts thing is that in Poland (probably everywhere)  there is very hard do buy 5900x so resellers changed prices. Now those cpus are at least 80 bucks more than 2 weeks before

0 Likes

I got the same problem. Asus rog crosshair VIII dark hero and AMD 5950X.. latest BIOS and chipset. Freshly installed Windows.

Tried turning off PBO and increasing voltages. Still randomly rebooting.

And I didnt buy this top end processor just in order to cripple its performance in order to just use the computer.

This will be yet another highlight of this crappy year. Waiting to get a new computer assembled with top notch components and then some more waiting to get answers from AMD.. and then probably longer waiting until a RMA gets through.

This is the first time I use AMD in my build.. and I really hope this will get solved quickly or it might be the last.

:(

@glith wrote:

I got the same problem. Asus rog crosshair VIII dark hero and AMD 5950X.. latest BIOS and chipset. Freshly installed Windows.

Tried turning off PBO and increasing voltages. Still randomly rebooting.

And I didnt buy this top end processor just in order to cripple its performance in order to just use the computer.

This will be yet another highlight of this crappy year. Waiting to get a new computer assembled with top notch components and then some more waiting to get answers from AMD.. and then probably longer waiting until a RMA gets through.

This is the first time I use AMD in my build.. and I really hope this will get solved quickly or it might be the last.

Turning PBO off on its own did not help me either, i had to disable both CPB and PBO for the system to be stable.

0 Likes

disaster, at default bios setting system random reboot.

default bios EDC 140A

if decrease EDC less than 140A - reboot probability increased

if increase EDC more than 140A - reboot probability decreased

whats going here? did AMD tested CPU at a factory? 

0 Likes

The Curve optimizer is inside the PBO section. You have to set it to Manual/Advanced to see it. Leave all parameters you don’t have to change at 0.

0 Likes

Thanks

Will check it but even if it helps I'll probably return my cpu

I'll read about this a little.

I didn't want to go to pbo settings because of warranty warnings.

0 Likes

I’m not sure AMD can prove you’ve been there. ;) Actually the RMA is the right decision, but I’d prefer to be sure the CPU is the culprit. You can just disable CPB though, if this helps it’s a 99% chance it’s CPU.

0 Likes

I personally have this issue with an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, but people have been reporting this with both B550 and X570 boards, it doesen't seem to be a board issue.

I've been talking to MSI's support center, and they have recommended that i adjust DRAM and/or CPU voltages to see if i can find a sweetspot that makes the system stable. 

I disabled CPB and PBO yesterday, and the system seems to be stable since then, so that's that.

0 Likes

I'm looking for an answer for 2 weeks.

No success.

Disabled CPB works for me but with such performance lost I coukd easily go with cheaper cpu

I just can't believe that AMD don't give a suit so much. No reply from them.

"Is there any information about this being a fixable issue through BIOS updates, or just straight up broken hardware?"

It is unknown.

AMD has just released AGESA version 1.1.8.0. Only some ASUS boards have a BIOS version available, so its not widespread and tested enough to answer the question if it will fix your problem. 

Even if it does fix it, there will likely be people who still can't get a stable system with it. CPU silicon quality is a spectrum and there are likely people near the end of the quality spectrum that the BIOS won't help. 

Since there are many people out there with good CPUs running pre AGESA 1.1.8.0, the problem is at some level related to that CPU quality spectrum.

We don't know how widespread the issue is. 5 percent? 50 percent? I think it is near the lower end. I did just get my RMA approved. So I'm gambling that I have good odds my replacement CPU will be stable. 

It's sad to still feel like it's a gamble, though.

I have my R7 3700X running smooth with no issues before upgrade to R9 5900X that's when things get messy lol

Upon changing my CPU, i got this random restart on idle or casual browsing. I did try replacing it again with my 3700X and no issues whatsoever and swapped back the 5900X then the issue is still there. 

Tried turning off the PBO, XMP, updating to latest 3 bios of MSI X570 Carbon Pro still i got these random restarts. Only thing that works to me is i manually overclocked my 5900X to 4.3ghz @ 1.325v. (PBO-disabled, XMP-ON). It's been 3 days since i did it, so far i haven't experience any crashes or random restarts.

@mla_xxiv wrote:

I have my R7 3700X running smooth with no issues before upgrade to R9 5900X that's when things get messy lol

Upon changing my CPU, i got this random restart on idle or casual browsing. I did try replacing it again with my 3700X and no issues whatsoever and swapped back the 5900X then the issue is still there. 

Tried turning off the PBO, XMP, updating to latest 3 bios of MSI X570 Carbon Pro still i got these random restarts. Only thing that works to me is i manually overclocked my 5900X to 4.3ghz @ 1.325v. (PBO-disabled, XMP-ON). It's been 3 days since i did it, so far i haven't experience any crashes or random restarts.

that sounds like my issue described here
https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/new-ryzen-3900x-x570-random-restarts-whea-logger-error-id17-... 

as an update, it had ran fine for a week, and since then i re-enabled XMP and it ran fine for 2 more days

0 Likes

Hey guys. I would like to point something out. Correct me if I'm wrong (I hope I am).

Problem with random reboots occurs on many rigs.

There are reboots of 5900x on MSI, Asus, Gigabyte etc. mobos. (not sure about Asrock)

There are people like me with 5900x + MSI Tomahawk x570.

So we use the same bios. (I checked for example the latest beta and previous stable one).

And on the same parts their system is stable. Without any bios tweaks or anything.

My conclusion:

There are CPUs immune to voltage problems (I'm saying voltage problems because it seems that adjusting voltages can help [for me system was more stable but not stable at 100%])

and

Lets say there will be a bios update that will help us. It seems to me that me and people here, with the same problem have a crapy of 5900x

We are waiting for the new bios with hope that it will bring us stable system. Others waiting not for stable system but maybe for more performance out of their already system.

Does it make sense?

@usurper wrote:

@mla_xxiv wrote:

that sounds like my issue described here
https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/new-ryzen-3900x-x570-random-restarts-whea-logger-error-id17-... 

as an update, it had ran fine for a week, and since then i re-enabled XMP and it ran fine for 2 more days

ok, update #2 - after 3 days of doing fine with XMP back on, it happened again, almost right after boot, when literally nothing was going on and barely any apps loaded. so i'm re-disabling XMP...

0 Likes

I decided to rma my copy of 5900x

Even if someone bios settings can help it's not how it should work.

And I said in my previous post.

There may be a bios update that will fix this but there are 5900x that works without a problem so I believe that our copies are from crapy batches.

I hope I'll get new copy

Do you have to send the CPU off first before getting a replacement? How long do you think you'll be without the CPU.  I think I want to do the same but can't be without the computer as it's my work horse and I'm very behind.

0 Likes

Not sure if this is European law or only Polish but in Poland we have manufacturer warranty (usually) and seller warranty.

I decided to go with seller warranty this time because if I'm correct seller should react to my demand in 14 days. Not sure how it going to work with current ryzen availability.

Now I'm waiting (cpu in home) for shop reaction for my RMA. I wrote very big description :)

I will not have working pc during RMA. I have old laptop. Will do for Internet browsing  :)

I hate that I will not have cpu but for me CPU in current condition is unusable. I don't have to have PC but I want to so not the worst.

The worst is how RMA usually works.

You sens faulty part and seller (or someone) is 100% sure that it is good part and can't help you.

I could return CPU to the shop and get my money back but

1. 5900x is very hard to get

2. Price of the new 5900x is about 100 USD higher then in time when I bought it.

Sorry for my English

Thanks, I've just done the same here in Germany.  CCX 2 is only just getting 4.7Ghz (i.e. not stated speeds) only 2 or 3 cores on CCX 1 achieve 4.9 or higher and without the curve optimizer it doesn't run at all.  I'm going to end up keeping it over the Christmas period to get some work done and send it back when I can.

Fingers crossed the next one is better.

0 Likes

Bought another 5950X
Replaced the "old" 5950X and now finally I have a stable system! Fingers crossed it stays this way.
Anyone looking for a future magic AGESA or BIOS update is waiting in vain.
If anything, such future updates will likely just mask the issue on defective CPUs, by lowering the performance/boost in order to make them stable.

Hello,

This is my feedback after some investigations:

Fisrt build with 5900X: 5900X + MSI X570 UNIFY + 32GB TRIDENT Z 3600MHZ CL16 (2x16) + MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO + RM850X + 970 EVO PLUS

Result: Errors (WHEA 18 + Kernet power) + spontaneous restarts

So I decided to change CPU + RAM + MB, switched to: ASUS X570-E + 16GB TRIDENT Z (2x8) 3600 CL16 + NEW 5900X

Result: same errors (WHEA 18 + Kernet power) + spontaneous restarts

I'm a bit lost, some says that It comes from a defect cpu, I can't think I got 2 defect CPU's. (Way more persons would report the issue if it is that common).

I'm thinking about a bios mistake or something weird in the agesa. Let's wait a bit and see if a bios update solve ths issue.

@X4V1 wrote:

Hello,

This is my feedback after some investigations:

Fisrt build with 5900X: 5900X + MSI X570 UNIFY + 32GB TRIDENT Z 3600MHZ CL16 (2x16) + MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO + RM850X + 970 EVO PLUS

Result: Errors (WHEA 18 + Kernet power) + spontaneous restarts

So I decided to change CPU + RAM + MB, switched to: ASUS X570-E + 16GB TRIDENT Z (2x8) 3600 CL16 + NEW 5900X

Result: same errors (WHEA 18 + Kernet power) + spontaneous restarts

I'm a bit lost, some says that It comes from a defect cpu, I can't think I got 2 defect CPU's. (Way more persons would report the issue if it is that common).

I'm thinking about a bios mistake or something weird in the agesa. Let's wait a bit and see if a bios update solve ths issue.

yes same here i think its bios issue from AMD. i ve used old bios 2607 for Asus Tuf x570 in this settings
XMP on 2*8 3600 Cl 18
Performance Level 3 (Oc)
everything was ok and stabile.
when new bios came 28** and 30** series makes RANDOM restart

So to summarize we are seeing 2 differents possible causes/fixes:

• Hardware issue: Some people fixed it by swapping the cpu (let's see in the future if it's not coming back). In my case the problem is still here after changing the cpu with a new one.
    Fix: Swap the CPU (RMA/refund)
  • Bios issue (AGESA): For others, it started from a bios update and is touching multiple manufacturers (personnally tested msi and asus motherboard). Those bios' are using the same AGESA version, which can be the cause of the issue.
    Fix: Wait for an AGESA update from AMD.

AMD did not communicate anything at all for the moment.
I strongly suggest everybody to send back their CPU for a refund because without any official communication, there is no guarantee that something will be release to fix the issue.

@X4V1 wrote:

So to summarize we are seeing 2 differents possible causes/fixes:

• Hardware issue: Some people fixed it by swapping the cpu (let's see in the future if it's not coming back). In my case the problem is still here after changing the cpu with a new one.
    Fix: Swap the CPU (RMA/refund)
  • Bios issue (AGESA): For others, it started from a bios update and is touching multiple manufacturers (personnally tested msi and asus motherboard). Those bios' are using the same AGESA version, which can be the cause of the issue.
    Fix: Wait for an AGESA update from AMD.

AMD did not communicate anything at all for the moment.
I strongly suggest everybody to send back their CPU for a refund because without any official communication, there is no guarantee that something will be release to fix the issue.

I have to say that now that I've changed to bios A84 (link in one of my previous posts) for my Unify x570 I've been stable with my 5950X the last few days with XMP (3600C16) and PBO on. A84 uses AGESA 1.1.8.0 just like any other recent bios. But I've read somewhere that within AGESA you have patches, so you have for example AGESA 1.1.8.0 patch C and AGESA 1.1.8.0 patch D. Maybe that makes a difference, but I'm not sure if that info is accurate. Why not rename it AGESA 1.1.8.1 for example. 

0 Likes

1. Bad silicon =High ECD current = high temp spike, overheat

2. Buggy agesa.

high temperature spike + buggy agesa bios = unstable at high clock = whea_uncorrectable_error.

ryzen 5000 series require liquid cooling + luck at the silicon lottery

0 Likes

any information about new bios versions?

it over a month for my x570 tomahawk from msi

0 Likes

@buildorbust wrote:

1. Bad silicon =High ECD current = high temp spike, overheat

2. Buggy agesa.

high temperature spike + buggy agesa bios = unstable at high clock = whea_uncorrectable_error. 

The heat theory doesn't hold up in my eyes as when you turn the PBO settings on you're allowing the CPU more current (from 140A to 190A for my MoBo), so this in theory would make it worse, as would overvolting in the curve optimizer.

Even at 4.6Ghz all core boosting I barely go over 80°c with a 240mm AIO.

Plus when single cores spike the actual EDC doesn't go up massively, and it's always single core spikes in clock speed that cause my system to reboot, hardly ever multi core boosting.  I feel this holds up to the masses who reboot at idle/browsing (i.e. single threads) but not so much when gaming.

I would say it's more likely the MoBo can't deliver the currents/voltages quickly enough for how the cores pull them and therefore the core dies and reboots.  This also ties in with when I purely capped the processor at 80% using windows power plan it was semi-stable - because it suddenly had 20% less change in minimum to maximum power draw.

So in summary, my thoughts are the Processors outstrip the MoBo power regulation for instantaneous draw.  This could be fixed within the AGESA update on how the board handles power delivery.  But it also shows up more on bad silicone because they need more power to hit the speeds they're being asked to.

I am new to this so I may be completely off base but it stacks up in my eyes.

0 Likes

air cooling does not dissipate heat quickly enough.

water has a much higher heat capacity.

with air even if external sensor show 70c, internal cpu components may overheat > 90c = bsod, reboot.

temp spike = silicon quality + agesa bios.

0 Likes

It's not linked to the temperature (happening in idle, not when temps are high). It's either a hardware issue or a bios issue ( or both :p)

0 Likes

@buildorbust wrote:

air cooling does not dissipate heat quickly enough.

water has a much higher heat capacity.

with air even if external sensor show 70c, internal cpu components may overheat > 90c = bsod, reboot.

temp spike = silicon quality + agesa bios.

That's just not logical. A sensor doesn't know how it's cooled. It only measures what the temp is and that's either within or ouside of speck. My bequit! Dark Rock 4 pro does a good job of keeping my 5950x in check. Even with the front fan removed for looks. As most users have the reboots at idle it looks highly unlikely that it's a  temperture problem. I guess it has something to do with low voltage at idle.

0 Likes

Yea, seems like voltage issues on idle, my system runs fine when i manually overclock it. 4.6ghz on CCX0 and 4.2ghz on CCX1 @ 1.2V. Managed to use it the whole day (12hrs) without crashing/rebooting. Hope bios update will fix this soon or i'll just wait for the next gen mobo for 5000 series processors.

Hey guys.

I need an advice.

I have 3 options

1. Return my copy of 5900x (I can do this only in next few days) and get my money back.
  2. RMA and have hope that service will not tell me that during their test system was stable
  3. Wait for bios update.

About 1.

Sounds nice but 5900x is practically impossible to buy and even if it is, the price is about 100 USD higher than the initial price. To be honest I'm thinking about 3900X/XT and 3950X because I don't play much.

I started to look at 5950x too :) I don't need it and price is about 25% more than 5900x but It is easy to get :)

About 2.

Well... It can take about 3 weeks just to know that they don't see any problem.

About 3.

Till this day we actually don't know if this is only bios problem, bios/CPU problem, or only CPU problem.

What do you think?

I'm losing my mind here. I was so happy with this upgrade (2500k -> 5900x) and this shi...y situation took all my happiness.

@860lacov wrote:

Hey guys.

I need an advice.

I have 3 options

1. Return my copy of 5900x (I can do this only in next few days) and get my money back.
  2. RMA and have hope that service will not tell me that during their test system was stable
  3. Wait for bios update.

About 1.

Sounds nice but 5900x is practically impossible to buy and even if it is, the price is about 100 USD higher than the initial price. To be honest I'm thinking about 3900X/XT and 3950X because I don't play much.

I started to look at 5950x too :) I don't need it and price is about 25% more than 5900x but It is easy to get :)

About 2.

Well... It can take about 3 weeks just to know that they don't see any problem.

About 3.

Till this day we actually don't know if this is only bios problem, bios/CPU problem, or only CPU problem.

What do you think?

I'm losing my mind here. I was so happy with this upgrade (2500k -> 5900x) and this shi...y situation took all my happiness.

It depends, are your problems consistent with what others report (reboots with low load or idle) than I would keep the cpu and wait for a newer bios. I'm confident that will solve the issues seeing i'm stable with the latest unofficial bios for my msi x570 unify. 

If you have other problems than it's a different matter.

0 Likes

@860lacov wrote:

Hey guys.

I need an advice.

I have 3 options

3. Wait for bios update.

On #2, I RMA'd mine to AMD and was worried the same. The received it on Monday and accept the return Tuesday for replacement. Given the quick turn around, I think they just tested that the CPU was authentic and not broken by something user did. I doubt they spent time to test WHEA errors. But I could be wrong.

My RMA timeline so far:

Dec 1: Submitted RMA
Dec 14 Received response asking for proof of ownership. I provided same day.
Dec 15: Accepted for return
Dec 16: I shipped via AMD's provided FedEx ground shipping label
Dec 21: AMD received
Dec 22: Approved for replacement 

So 3 weeks so far in the process. Will report back how long it takes to get replacement and if it fixes the problems I had with first 5900x (WHEA bluescreen cache hierarchy errors at idle, stabilized by overvolting all core +8 on curve optimizer).

this shi...y situation took all my happiness.:smileysad:

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS BIOS 3201
Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.9.0.

Testing new bios over 2 hours

Asus Tuf X570

3900x

XMP on 3600 Cl18    2*8 16 Gb 
PBO on 1x

No Restart 

i hope new bios fixed that random restart Kernel 41 issue.
i ll let u know if i got restart again.

Ekran Alıntısı.JPG

0 Likes

Same problem here....

5950X
Asus Dark Hero 3003 BIOS
G.Skill Trident Z 3600 CL14 (2x16)

Happens with PBO/XMP and without it.

Happens only if i close the game. During gaming / benchmarks (cb/3dmark ...) it runs perfectly fine.

Happens also if i manually change the vsoc to ~1.15v.

Memtest86, Aida RAM benchmark and windows memtest complete without any error.

What is up with this CPU? Is AMD even aware of this problem?
Also i got a quit bad 5950x... CCX1 runs awful. But thats another story, or is it? Maybe it is related, if this error as anything to do with voltages and such things.

Asus released a new Beta BIOS today -> 3101. Will try this, but i doubt it will change anything.