cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Carrinthe
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

With my MSI X570 Unify and Ryzen 5950X I've used the A82 Bios  with PBO and CBS disabled to get the system stable. I've had exactly the same problems as TS, sponteneous reboots at idle. 

I've now been running the A84 bios at stock settings with CBS and PBO enabled for 12 hours without reboots, something that was impossible with older versions, so that seems promising. You can download it (at your own risk of course) here: https://we.tl/t-AHQ55LAvfs

0 Likes
CrispyCrunch
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Where is that A84 MSI bios coming from? It's not even on the offical sites

Carrinthe
Adept I

Jump to solution

I've got it from someone with connections from another community that helped me in the past with an A81 Bios (that didn't solve my problems). But I understand your reluctance. Here's my validation on CPU-Z: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @ 4423.97 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR (x86.fr)

0 Likes
imraneo
Adept I

Jump to solution

May I know what's the AGESA differences between A82 and A84?

Also, looking at the CPU-Z info, it seems that you CPU is overclocked with x44.25 multiplier on all cores, which means to say that you will not get the single-core 4.9Ghz (PBO disabled)

Correct me if Im wrong. Trying to make sense of this data. My CPU-Z has x36 multiplier during idle (supposed to be x37, but for some strange reason it's lower...) It does boost to single core x48.

0 Likes
mla_xxiv
Adept I

Jump to solution

I have my R7 3700X running smooth with no issues before upgrade to R9 5900X that's when things get messy lol

Upon changing my CPU, i got this random restart on idle or casual browsing. I did try replacing it again with my 3700X and no issues whatsoever and swapped back the 5900X then the issue is still there. 

Tried turning off the PBO, XMP, updating to latest 3 bios of MSI X570 Carbon Pro still i got these random restarts. Only thing that works to me is i manually overclocked my 5900X to 4.3ghz @ 1.325v. (PBO-disabled, XMP-ON). It's been 3 days since i did it, so far i haven't experience any crashes or random restarts.

Carrinthe
Adept I

Jump to solution

@imraneo wrote:

May I know what's the AGESA differences between A82 and A84?

Also, looking at the CPU-Z info, it seems that you CPU is overclocked with x44.25 multiplier on all cores, which means to say that you will not get the single-core 4.9Ghz (PBO disabled)

Correct me if Im wrong. Trying to make sense of this data. My CPU-Z has x36 multiplier during idle (supposed to be x37, but for some strange reason it's lower...) It does boost to single core x48.

I don't know the differences. The only thing I can determine is that both are using AGESA 1.1.8.0 

My CPU is not overclocked, the only changes I made from stock bios is enabeling PBO, XMP and configuring a custom fan curve. CPU-Z is giving the cpu a multi thread load while validating, that's why you see the all-core 4423.97 MHz frequency. I hit 4.9-5.0 Ghz singe core with Cinebench R20 with the same settings. 

willeywilson
Adept II

Jump to solution

@thunk_stuff wrote:

@willeywilson wrote:

So my question is how to interpret this data (i.e. what is the +8 Scalar actually doing). 

AMD did a good video of how curve optimizer works on PBO2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jo2ck6xzDM

Thanks @thunk_stuff for the link.  I had a play around this morning.  The PBO Scalar appears to do nothing for me overall, auto sets it to x7, I have tried x8 & x10 and seen no difference in Cinebench R23 scoring or clock speeds.

In the end I think I have found a stable workaround with the following:-

Core  Max Speed  Curve

0        4825               +2
1        5050               +0
2        4825               +2
3        5050               +0
4        4825               +2
5        4825               +2
6        4825               +2
7        4925               +2
8        4750               +4
9        4775               +2
10      4750               +4
11      4725               +6
12      4750               +4
13      4700               +6
14      4750               +4
15      4725               +4

I was hoping to achieve higher speeds on multicore R23 testing (27808 achieved at 4.325Ghz) and more cores on chiplet 1 to hit max speed on single core testing (1556), but these scores seem about right for the processor and will allow me to get some work done whilst waiting for the next bios update.

One other thing to note is that PBO in Advanced AMD Overclock settings on ASUS Bios is overwritten by the PBO setting on the AI Tweaker area of the BIOS.

Fingers crossed there is a new BIOS on the Horizon for my ASUS board as per the MSI un-official one mentioned above.

usurper
Adept I

Jump to solution

@mla_xxiv wrote:

I have my R7 3700X running smooth with no issues before upgrade to R9 5900X that's when things get messy lol

Upon changing my CPU, i got this random restart on idle or casual browsing. I did try replacing it again with my 3700X and no issues whatsoever and swapped back the 5900X then the issue is still there. 

Tried turning off the PBO, XMP, updating to latest 3 bios of MSI X570 Carbon Pro still i got these random restarts. Only thing that works to me is i manually overclocked my 5900X to 4.3ghz @ 1.325v. (PBO-disabled, XMP-ON). It's been 3 days since i did it, so far i haven't experience any crashes or random restarts.

that sounds like my issue described here
https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/new-ryzen-3900x-x570-random-restarts-whea-logger-error-id17-... 

as an update, it had ran fine for a week, and since then i re-enabled XMP and it ran fine for 2 more days

0 Likes
860lacov
Adept III

Jump to solution

Hey guys. I would like to point something out. Correct me if I'm wrong (I hope I am).

Problem with random reboots occurs on many rigs.

There are reboots of 5900x on MSI, Asus, Gigabyte etc. mobos. (not sure about Asrock)

There are people like me with 5900x + MSI Tomahawk x570.

So we use the same bios. (I checked for example the latest beta and previous stable one).

And on the same parts their system is stable. Without any bios tweaks or anything.

My conclusion:

There are CPUs immune to voltage problems (I'm saying voltage problems because it seems that adjusting voltages can help [for me system was more stable but not stable at 100%])

and

Lets say there will be a bios update that will help us. It seems to me that me and people here, with the same problem have a crapy of 5900x

We are waiting for the new bios with hope that it will bring us stable system. Others waiting not for stable system but maybe for more performance out of their already system.

Does it make sense?

Podersen
Adept I

Jump to solution

@MacNZ wrote:

@Podersen wrote:

Returned my 5900x because of me having all the same issues as aforementioned no whea error 18. Just kernel 41. 

Bought a 3700x and I don't know how but that chip is displaying the same behaviour. This is on a new X570 unify and gskill 3600 cl16. I don't think there is anything wrong with power. So am I just so incredibly unlucky or is every amd chip like this? I just came over from Intel. 

I had the same error on my 3700x.

Background: As builders, we are taught to install the latest BIOS for our motherboard, along with the latest chipset and device drivers. We do this without thinking. IMO, the WHEA (18) error reported in this thread is not likely to be hardware related. After all, AMD does not fabricate its own chips. AMD's fabrication is done by TSMC, the best in the business. The likelihood of faulty silicon is almost nil. Back to the BIOS, which contains the APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) microcode. WHEA errors can also be caused by faulty microcode. More importantly, over the last few months, since the BIOS and chipset drivers were updated to be compatible with the 5000 series CPUs, AMD and the MB vendors have introduced faulty microcode into the environment. In other words, by updating to the latest BIOS as a matter of course, we, as systems builders, are introducing errors that typically do not exist for older, tried and true, CPU solutions like the 3700x.

Solution: Roll back the BIOS to an earlier stable version that supports the 3700x, or try a newer BIOS that contains AGESA 1.1.0.0 D. In my case, I rolled forward to Gigabyte BIOS F31o (AGESA 1.1.0.0 D). I also use AMD Ryzen High Performance power profile with SLEEP set to NEVER, which may prevent WHEA (41).

Good luck!

=MacNZ=

Alright man! I am going to be rolling back to a bios before the new chips. Will give update, because right now I am having issues getting into windows because of freezes on 3700x with latest drivers.

Wish me even more luck🤞

0 Likes