cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

daya_papaya
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

Not a good feeling when the only reliable solution to this problem you've seen in a few months is "just buy different CPU/GPU"

860lacov
Adept III

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

True

Today I ordered 10850k and going to return 5900x

"Sad but true"

usurper
Adept I

Jump to solution

if your crashes happen at low load, and no downclocking helps, i'd once again suggest to read what i posted in the other thread

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/new-ryzen-3900x-x570-random-restarts-whea-logger-error-id17-... 

looks like PSU can shut down if the power load is too low, and MBs have options to not go lower than some minimum value. in addition to "power loading", there's also an "power on idle" CPU-specific setting, which can be set to "typical" instead of "low".

BraveKiwi
Adept I

Jump to solution

Same issue with a Ryzen 5 5600X, on an MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS board.

It's been a nightmare. I replaced the PSU, the RAM, the NVME SSD thinking it would have something to do with those parts. Nothing helped. Disabled CPB and PBO, we'll see if that helps.

Is there any information about this being a fixable issue through BIOS updates, or just straight up broken hardware?

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

I have the following suggestion. 

Go on youTube. 
Look up YouTube Tech Reviewers such as Gamers Nexus, Linus, LevelOneTechs, Hardware Unboxed etc etc. 
See if they reviewed the CPU / Motherboard etc you have. 
Watch their review,
Contact them via YouTube and or Twitter. 
Ask them what is going on with your system since theirs mostly works in their review. 

If they start to hear about problems from more people, they might investigate. 
It does not seem that there is any other way to get anything investigated and fixed quickly any more. 
Good luck.

860lacov
Adept III

Jump to solution

I'm looking for an answer for 2 weeks.

No success.

Disabled CPB works for me but with such performance lost I coukd easily go with cheaper cpu

:(

I just can't believe that AMD don't give a suit so much. No reply from them.

thunk_stuff
Adept II

Jump to solution

"Is there any information about this being a fixable issue through BIOS updates, or just straight up broken hardware?"

It is unknown.

AMD has just released AGESA version 1.1.8.0. Only some ASUS boards have a BIOS version available, so its not widespread and tested enough to answer the question if it will fix your problem. 

Even if it does fix it, there will likely be people who still can't get a stable system with it. CPU silicon quality is a spectrum and there are likely people near the end of the quality spectrum that the BIOS won't help. 

Since there are many people out there with good CPUs running pre AGESA 1.1.8.0, the problem is at some level related to that CPU quality spectrum.

We don't know how widespread the issue is. 5 percent? 50 percent? I think it is near the lower end. I did just get my RMA approved. So I'm gambling that I have good odds my replacement CPU will be stable. 

It's sad to still feel like it's a gamble, though.

jpee80
Adept II

Jump to solution

Its time to bring these issues out to open (aka Steve, Linus, Jayz, etc)

I'm seeing far too many of these with 5000 Series processors. I returned mines for these issues

Users shouldn't have to go far by trying too many troubleshooting steps and combinations. Product is not ready when that is the case!

860lacov
Adept III

Jump to solution

Topic shouldn't be  market as solved.

Now it's like cut you cpu performance by 25% and it will work stable.

This is not the solution. Its a joke

blazeiam
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I just wish AMD wasn't so quiet about this. I have reached out to them and haven't received anything besides the automatic response. Even if a bunch of cpus are faulty and they don't have inventory they should just get in front of it and have a queue system to get replacements out. The whole tight lipped tech scene is downright frustrating. Just acknowledge there is a problem amd!

Tags (1)