cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Carrinthe
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

@jaydeejoy wrote:

@Carrinthe wrote:

Oké count me in :(

Since a few days I have 5950X with an MSI x570 Unify and constant reboots in idle. In my event viewer I see I've had 8 critical errors in the last 24 hours event-id 41 source: Kernel-Power. I've tried Bios A70, A81 and A82 (the last two are beta) with no effect. I've increased voltage tot my mem (4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C16Q-64GTZRC)  to 1.39v, still rebooting. I've now disabled  XMP to see if that works. But I see that disabling PBO and CBP should help.  Well for now I'm happy with just a stable system while they work on fixing the problem. But with PBO an CBP disabled I can run XMP? 

when u try XMP ON just let us Know pls.
i got 4 * 8  (32Gb)3600 cl 18 corsair ram
3900x
lastest Asus X570 Tuf bios 3001
and XMP ON rebooting 
XMP OFF./ PBO 3x  no rebooting and stabile 24 hours .
But fcking 2666 ram speed
why i payed for 3600 

Oke, I disabled PBO and CBP and have XMP on. I've an overclock all core 4.3GHz @1.25v. This has been stable for the past 24 hours. 

Flaunt
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-P

Jump to solution

i have the same 5950x and msi X570 unify, and i have to disable CPB. i then turn on XMP and all core clock 4.4 @ 1.225 V and LLC mode 3 

this is at least passable for being able to use the system, but NOT what i paid for. 

I am going to try an Asus board and see if it’s the same issue. 

They need an official statement on this. i suspect it’s a Bios issue, but i’m sure they have a ton of RMAs because of this issue. 

X4V1
Adept I

Jump to solution

On the MSI support page of the MSI X570 Unify, there is a chipset driver which seems newer that the one proposed by AMD. Anybody know if it makes a differences in term of stability? Did someone already tested ? I just replaced the one from MSI by the one from AMD, which seems older (10 october 2020), let's see if it helps.

0 Likes
Genolandia
Adept I

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. A completely new PC, literally every component. I only have the Kernel Power 41 issue that reboots the computer at seemingly random. It seems to be mostly when the PC is under low load. I have done literally everything from reinstalling windows, selectively installing and uninstalling drivers, unbuilt and rebuilt my PC, tried new power supply EVERYTHING. Now I changed the processor to a 3000-series 3800 and everything is smooth sailing.

Consensus from investigation: My 5950X (and seemingly many 5900 users as well) does not work as advertised at no overclocking. I did not tweak any overclocking setting. I am going to return my processor and hopefully have better luck with the next one I get. Really disappointing and my new PC glow is entirely gone.

Question: Has anyone had luck, or heard anyone with luck with the 5950X or 5900X? This thread is very populated and many might have the same issues.

iraff1
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I have this issue too, it seems extremely widespread, looking around on various overclocking forums around the world you'll see plenty of people having WHEA errors and random reboots. To me it's baffling that none of the reviewers magically never had these issues yet its a massive widespread problem when the product is released.

To me that makes it clear, reviewers get super perfectly constructed silicone handpicked by AMD and heavily tested before shipped, and the rest of us get scrap metal, whatever is over, mass produced garbage that you get to pay 1000$ to draw your shot at the untested silicone lottery. Absolutely shameless.

My problems with WHEA started at random, my system was fully stable for over 5 days, i did all kinds of stresstesting to make sure it was stable. Suddenly my event viewer out of nowhere started flagging whea errors, as far as i can tell they seem to be coming and going at random. No setting that i've changed seem to be helping, stock setting, overclocking, underclocking, nothing really helps at all, the WHEA errors are there.

The only positive thing i have to say is that my WHEA errors seem to not lead to any actual crashing, which is great! My WHEA error IDs are 10 and 11 which is different from most people i've read about. Anyway, i hope whenever the AMD ryzen 5000 beta is over this will all have settled.

smbell1979
Adept I

Jump to solution

Same issue here... Brand new build, Asus Crosshair VIII Hero 128GB 3200 RAM, 5950x. WHEA Cache Hierarchy errors, random reboots when doing simple things like opening Chrome. RAM is even running at 2400 mhz currently to rule that out, but seems like it doesn't matter.

I have a 5800x as well that did not have the issue for the three weeks up until my 5950x arrived.

Solved should honestly be removed from the post title. Turning off Core Performance Boost indeed seemingly solves the reboots, but we should be able to use the CPU as designed by AMD

My guess is that the yield on these cpus is so horribly low that they are sending out whatever they have to get them into peoples hand, quality control ignored.

CrispyCrunch
Adept II

Jump to solution

Well, increasing the DRAM voltage did indeed stabilize the system for me, but the error is not completelly gone. Had 3 random crashes & reboots with the WHEA ID 18 error after 1 week. All within 2 hours, all at idle, and after that it's been stable again. Very strange.

I contacted AMD customer support but all they answered was to send them a few system files and haven't heard back yet on this issue. They suggested trying a different graphics card, but according to this thread that won't help. Haven't tried it yet.

MSI customer support told me it will take a while for them to release a BIOS update.

X4V1
Adept I

Jump to solution

Did you try increasing cpu voltage via the curve optimizer in your bios? Seems to solve the issue for some users here.

0 Likes
X4V1
Adept I

Jump to solution

I replaced my MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO by a KFA2 GTX 1070 (my old one), and no problem since that (running for 2 days now)

So I have a simple a question for other users facing the same issue: do you also have a RTX 3080 ? Could it be graphic card related ?

Note that the RTX 3080 rans perfectly fine in another computer for more than a month with no crash at all so I don't think the graphic card is having some hardware issue. But it seems to have an impact on computer reboots.

0 Likes
Genolandia
Adept I

Jump to solution

My PC is a 5950X and a 3090 ROG STRIX OC. PC currently running well with the 5950X being replaced termporarily with a 3800X. Everything fine and dandy right now. I am willing to bet it is the CPU since the windows install was really unstable with the 5950 and flawless with the 3800. I reinstalled as an experiment and it seems I was correct. With the 5950X I had restarts even in the Windows install that I did not have with the 3800X. Not a single crash since I changed yesterday morning (almost 24 hours).

Perhaps there is interplay, but I doubt the GPU is causing the idle crashes since it is not used much then. Still an interesting and useful observation.