cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

CrispyCrunch
Adept II

Ryzen 5900x: System constantly crashing/restarting WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-Power

Mainboard: MSI x570 Unify
Mainboard-BIOS: 7C35vA82 (Beta version)
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
RAM: Crucial Ballistix BL2K32G36C16U4B 3600 MHz, 64GB (32GB x2)
Drive: M.2 Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB SSD
Graphics: SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
PSU: be quiet straight power 11 750w Platinum
Chipset driver: 2.9.28.509 (released 2020-11-09)

I first assembled the PC with a Ryzen 3800x a week ago because it was unclear if and when I would get the Ryzen 5900x I ordered. Worked with the included AMD Prism Wrath CPU cooler for one week without any problems.

- Today I installed a Ryzen 5900x and a Scythe Fuma 2 CPU cooler.
- After 20 min the first crash/restart with the following entries in the Event Viewer: WHEA-Logger ID 18 and critical error Kernel-Power ID 41.
- Happens irregularly again and again, sometimes after minutes, sometimes longer: Windows freezes for a few seconds and then the PC reboots. Doesn't matter if load or not.
- CPU temperature between 30 and 40 °C
- Updated to BIOS and chipset driver mentioned above: Problem still exists
- XMP Profile disabled (RAM on 2600 MHz): problem still exists
- CMOS Reset: Problem still exists

Either there is a compatibility problem of something with the CPU, or the CPU is defective?
What to do? Really frustrating.

2 Solutions

Im having a similar issue, x570 aorus and 5600x. Have same errors on windows. 

Disable CBP and PBO and run it at default settings (3.7 ghz and xmp on). That works for me. 

View solution in original post

I got a new angle on this. So deactivating PBO and CBS definetely works, PC was running stable for a week now. But you'll loose performance.

So I wrote to the MSI support and the AMD support.

MSI suggested to try increasing the DRAM Voltage by 0.05 V, which I did. System seems to be stable, no crashes so far - neither in idle or while gaming.

View solution in original post

947 Replies

I've spent many many hours now and nothing really works (besides base clock), I can stabilize the system even with 4.5 ghz all core and xmp. But will crash in heavy games and Bios reset. Only thing now is changing to another DDR4 but at this point I don't think will work. 

A friend of mine just got his and is running without any issues on a b550 Aorus board (I have a x570 aorus). The store that sold the product does not have "Amazon-like" return policy so I might to issue a RMA and that is going to be a huge pain. If it was amazon I would've return it and buy a new one already. 

I could try to replace the motherboard but don't think that's the issue. Pretty sad right now. I was performing well on my i7 9700k and with all this hassle I regret this "upgrade" so much

0 Likes

Try Linux.

Linux manage your processor better than windows.

Almost all in windows have version for Linux.

0 Likes

I just wanted to add a bit of positivity to the situation... The Asus bios, 3102 with the Agesa 1.0.90 has 100‰ solved my reboot issues. Since the day it was updated my machine has been rock solid under a full workstation load. 80-90 GB ram utilized on the reg, Maya, Houdini, Substance Painter, Marmoset, Photoshop, Nuke all open at once like I'm used to working with. Not a single restart on stock settings with ram at 3200 profile. I could barely make it a day before. 

0 Likes
mrsense
Adept II

Noticed you have the latest bios,7C35vA82, with SAM enabled.

Give 7C35vA7 a try.  Since you don't have an RX6800, you don't need SAM.

0 Likes

I initially had the BIOS 7C35vA7 installed and upped it to the 82 beta after the first few crashes.

0 Likes
timber77
Journeyman III

OS: Win 10 Pro (64bit) - all updates installed  - is Windows licensed or not? the unlicensed version does not provide for changing the components of the system. This is only available for the license system

0 Likes

All updates installed, latest drivers etc., Windows licensed.

0 Likes

did you buy it or get it? 

the one that was issued to Microsoft is not the same license. We need to buy it. The one that was issued is valid only on the system to which it is tied.
The second option is to check the disk for errors.

0 Likes

I am having the same problem. No problem while playing the game but it restarts while browsing the internet. I haven't reached a conclusion yet. If you find a solution, please share it here.

0 Likes

@blacksangal wrote:

I am having the same problem. No problem while playing the game but it restarts while browsing the internet. I haven't reached a conclusion yet. If you find a solution, please share it here.

Yes, disable PBO and CBP in BIOS. Didn't have a single crash since then. But you'll loose some performance.

0 Likes

if I were you, I wouldn't have tormented myself and issued a refund.

0 Likes

And have no new CPU for months :-(

0 Likes

X570 UNIFYE (MS-7C35) V10.7 BIOS Release - you have this BIOS version? check

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Check your voltages with HWiNFO64 and run Prime 95 they way you're running now. I have an issue similar with my 3600X and AsRock mobo and it's the board's VRM it seems isn't up to task. I'm getting a Gigabyte Aurous Elite X570 with a "true" 8 phase VRM next week.

I searched your board and the power delivery seems great, however MSI has dropped the ball before in that area. If you run HWiNFO, look at the power reporting deviation under load (should be close to 100%,+/- 5%) and at idle. Also look at the temp of the board(VRM) to see if it passes 105c or even close, that's too hot. About 70c would be decent. My board has a -88% voltage deviation, not good! Under load it comes under 100% around 90%, so not the best.

One horrible thing that can happen, it happened to a customer's MSI that who put their own cooler on, is they scratched the back of the board where the back plate goes during install and that caused these same errors.

If none of this pans out to a true solution, I would hope a final BIOS update or something will fix the issue. It is a shame AMD sells these expensive, new CPU's and the BIOS is a Beta. Also that one can't run with all the options like PBO, etc. Defeats the purpose entirely, and the fact that running PBO technically voids the warranty, is absurd.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

So playing with my 3600X issue I found an older post on here relating to FCLK issues. Basically AMD "advertises" the Ryzen 3000's can run 1866 Infinity Fabric and the "sweet spot" is 3733mhz RAM. Well 3600mhz/1800 IF is where I was running after being "locked" in via a **bleep**ty BIOS for 4 months or so. Then AsRock updated and I was able to finally get my RAM to run what I thought was correctly at 3733/1866 IF, with custom RAM timings needed from Dram Calc to get get out of gear, because initially it was slower than the 3600! 

Here I've ben complaining about the VRM of AsRock ,which is a pile of crap but should handle a 3600X. So after researching WHEA 19, Kernel Power System 41's to the tune of 83 over 3 months I missed and having a 4101 last night, I did some more research. Long story short is I put my RAM back to 3600/1800 IF, used my old custom timings I had for that and poof no errors in 4.5 hours of BF4 with the GPU OC'ed at 157FPS average. Not one error in the Event Viewer. Prior to that i ran OCCT for an hour and no error where I got 1 the other day.

Point for you, I researched the 5900X and AMD's "advertised" Infinity Clock(FCLK) and it's an incredibly hard to hit 2000mhz! The article in Tom's Hardware went through hoops and couldn't hit that stable. 1900 wasn't stable but they found settings for a 3950X of 3600mhz CL14-16 RAM with a IF of 1800mhz worked flawlessly! So, until AMD makes the corrected version of the 5900XT, like the 3000 series they made into "XT"'s and they mysteriously work at 1866-1900mhz, check to see if your RAM is running at 3600mhz. Manually set the Infinity Fabric in BIOS to 1800, make sure your RAM timings are in that 16,16,16,16, 30, 46 area, 18 is ok too, voltage around 1.35-1.40 or what your box says, should work, manually do it not DOCP. Try SOC volts of 1.10, PBO on, and the LLC to "3" or the middle and you should run fine. Performance should easily top a 3950X as well.

From what I read these 5000 Series run pretty much identical to the 3000 series before the "XT". The exception is AMD recommends using a 280mm AIO vs. an air cooler. 360mm's are inefficient in testing, probably need better pumps or need to be wider. Try Gskill RAM if your Crucial isn't cutting it. 

0 Likes

My system crashes WHEA-Logger ID 18 when playing games. It can pass AIDA64 test but crashes ramdomly.

Ryzen 5800x

Gskill 8G*2 C18 3600

MSI B550M mortar

I am searching for the solution for a long time. I seems to have fixed it by the solution from this Chinese post.

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2274174-1-1.html

According to this post, some AMD 5000s CPUs cannot be stable in FLCK 2000. 

My CPU is a lucky one and worse. The system gets lots of WHEA-Logger ID 19 warning and crashes WHEA-Logger ID 18 when FLCK setting is AUTO in BIOS. After setting FLCK to 1600 manually, the system stop getting  WHEA-Logger ID 19.

0 Likes

We've been talking about this issue for a few days now. That's what I told him in my post. To set it all manually. Welcome to the forum.

0 Likes
jaydeejoy
Elite

i had same problem with 3900x on Asus Tuf X570 Gaming Plus (random restart error kernel power)
lastest ALL drivers 

Chipset
windows      UP THE DATE
GPU

i had     2*8 (16Gb)   corsair 3600
SB Clock Spread      Disable

XMP ON   3600mhz 

Permormance E. - Level 3 (OC)
in this settings , everything was ok
no restart

when i get 4*8 (32GB) 
Pc crashed restarting 7-8 times in a day Kernel Power error
i thought it s PSU problem than i bought new Psu ( Corsair RM 850)
but unfortunetly i had same restart and KErnel Power issue.
i tryed all combos
xmp on/off
default bios settings.
No OC etc etc.

than Finally i tryed ALL OLD BIOS versions
cos ASUS in Trouble with x570 Stability
They Reales new bios every month.
in this case

there s new beta bios , 2812 beta  2802

ALL 2800's BIOS have same restart problem in this settings

4*8 (32GB) Ram
DEFAULT BIOS 

XMP     ON / OFF
SB Clock Spread      Disable /Enable / Auto

Performance Enc.    Auto / Default / Level 1 /2 / 3

i used old Bios  2607 in 2 weeks. just 1 time i had kernel power restart issue.

after this restart i instaled new beta  2816 bios.
in 2 days i have no any restart (xmp on/ performance Level 1)
but 2816 beta bios is not stabile

sometimes PC starting low clock speed (0,533 mhz ( 3-4 cores)

when u change POWER PLAN 

AMD HİGH tO  AMD BALANCE
or AMD BALANCE to AMD HİGH
its fixng LOV CLOCK SPEED

than all cores work same speeds

i think 
This is Bios and Chipset Driver ISSUE

i had 3700 x before 3900x
3700x has some low clock speed problem, like a few cores on 0.533 mhz.
it was a chipset driver issue
when i install LASTest  AMD Chipset Driver i never seen this issue again.

0 Likes
cashby
Adept II

I am also experiencing this issue with my 5900X. Same event log issues

Mainboard: ASRock X570 Taichi
Mainboard-BIOS: Update AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.1.0.0 Patch C
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4 x 8GB 3600Mhz
Drive: M.2 Adata SBX 1TB
Graphics: MSI 1080Ti
PSU: Corsair RM650X
Chipset driver: 10.0.19041.546

I had one blue screen where PC was just sitting on a web browser. My main issues is when gaming though. i can play maybe 10 - 15 mins of gaming and then the game will crash. Has experienced this issue on Fortnite and Mafia 3 using epic launcher and steam. 

Ive run every benchmark testing suite and havent experienced any issues with those, 3D mark, Cinebench, MemTest, PCMark - system breezes through it with no issues. MEMtes went for 4 hours but found no errors. 

i reseated the GPU and checked all my cabling - this is my first every PC build. I am using cable extenders for pure aesthetics. Formula Mod branded. 

After the Mem test - I turned off XMP and manually set speeds and voltages to get 3600MHz. 

I played again last night but didn't have any crashes. If it crashes again I'll remove the extenders and see if this helps. 

Im not sure where in BIOS i turn off the CBP or PBO for Asrock? what do these stand for? 

Thanks

0 Likes

Instead of turning the XMP off,  try lowering the RAM speed to 3200 mhz with tighter timings.  Lowering the RAM speed to 3200 mhz also lowers the infinity fabric to 1600 mhz which can possibly stablize your system.

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-5800x-system-crashing-into-reboot-while-under-gaming-l...

Please read my post here. It's (probably) helped me, it can help you if you have the same issue.

0 Likes

Try the 3.40 BIOS, the version you're using has a lot of complaints. I have an AsRock X570 board and we use the same BIOS's, for me 3.2 was the best but I have a Ryzen 3600X. Various online boards have the 3.40 as being good for AsRock X570 boards with any 5000 series CPU.

Thanks for that. I stopped getting the WHEA issue and kernel-P error but during gaming the games just crash and boot me back out. after about 20 mins or so. when i tried to log back in probably after 8 mins get booted again. So i ended up changing the power mode and turning XMP back on but then when running Prime95 it welcomed back the Kernel P errors. I changed Ram speed to 3200Mhz leaving XMP and then put power settings on the higest for high end machines. prime 95 no issues and tried the ryzen master test and all worked no issues... 

Will try gaming again and see if the system crashes. if it does - i'll then change my bios updates and flash back to the original one 3.40 and see how we go. Otherwise i'll have to try the manual CPU adjustments mentioned previously. Thanks for all your help and advice. 

0 Likes

I got a new angle on this. So deactivating PBO and CBS definetely works, PC was running stable for a week now. But you'll loose performance.

So I wrote to the MSI support and the AMD support.

MSI suggested to try increasing the DRAM Voltage by 0.05 V, which I did. System seems to be stable, no crashes so far - neither in idle or while gaming.

I ended rolling back my bios to 3.40 for my ASRock x570 Taichi. Which was suggested.  Ran all tests and system is stable. Xmp enabled and played a game tonight for about an hour and no crashes. Fingers crossed this continues next week when cyberpunk is out. Thanks for all your suggestions. 

0 Likes

Who told you about the 3.40 BIOS?? Me, I think! Glad it worked.

@mackbolan777 it was you good sir. I thank you. 🙂

@mackbolan777 wrote:

Who told you about the 3.40 BIOS?? Me, I think! Glad it worked.

0 Likes

If it's still working, can you mark it as a "solution". Not for me to get "points" but so others will find it easily in the "knowledgebase". A lot with AsRock boards are having this issue. Thanks.

I don't think I can as this thread already has one solution linked? 

@mackbolan777 wrote:

If it's still working, can you mark it as a "solution". Not for me to get "points" but so others will find it easily in the "knowledgebase". A lot with AsRock boards are having this issue. Thanks.

0 Likes

@mackbolan777 wrote:

Well, the original post was about trouble with a MSI board. So I don't think it makes a lot of sense to mark a solution for AsRock mainboards?

0 Likes

Because it was the Agesa version common in all these BIOS's that was the "solution". That messed up "Beta" is throughout every brand board causing problems, especially with the 3000 series.

0 Likes

I am having the same headache levels that you are having. Analyzing version 3.40, I was able to return to version 7C91v13 of my mainboard's BIOS. I'm still analyzing.

[ AMD Ryzen 7 5700X (step B2) | CM MASTERLIQUID PL360 FLUX | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI - 7C91v1D | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz XPG SPECTRIX | ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3060 OC Ed 12GB GDDR6 ]
0 Likes

Oh man. So I got the error again. Had been playing and was going well stopped playing. Was surfing net for a bit then decided to log in to Disney plus and watch Mando. Whole system **bleep** down after the recap. When I went back in same errors were reported. She's and crits... So annoyed. I'm at a loss. 

0 Likes

I mean, That's the real kicker. If you have to turn of CPB, then you're going to end up running at like 3.5 Ghz which is below the base of the processor. At least that's been my experience with the 5600x.

For the record, I swapped every component and the motherboard and still have the same issue, and even after going to a whole different motherboard.

The real question is, is this something a bios update will fix? IF so, I'm fine with it; if not, I'm definitely going to return and replace this CPU because I don't think EVERYONE who has a ryzen 5000 is having the same experience. There must be some percentage of CPUs that are behaving this way.

I Decided to start over again. When I first built my system I used a SSD with the OS on it from my old PC and then tried to reinstall windows to my new M.2 SSD. it encountered some issues but eventually got it to work however I was noticing it was not showing as the first boot option in bios and every time I tried to change it - was causing issues. 

So I used the X570 Taichi mobo tools to wipe and format the M.2 drive which had my current OS on it. I then did a clean install of windows 10 and it fixed the boot drive issues. Somehow my samsung evo game drive got wiped but that's another story... 

I then started installing very minimal things - started off with epic games and played fortnite as this would cause my issues. didn't have any at all. It's been 4 days and I have not encountered any issues at all. started installing more things and still going well. 

I have not touched bios - everything is left on auto. I've run PCmark, 3Dmark and stress tests. It's the best I've had this run since I built it. still on the 3.40 bios from ASRock. 

Not sure if this would help others though but at least I still have everything still enabled and getting full use of CPU. 

For a 5000 series, 3.40 should work. On mine it causes issues possibly due to me running a 3600X. It causes random reboots, no performance gain, like advertised, instability, whatnot on my PC and others on another forum that run 30000 series CPU's. I dropped to 3.10. If you run the 5900X, then 3.40 makes sense, the 3.42 has the "C" patch and is "Beta", that more than likely would mess things up. It's all in that "Agesa" package version, not the entire BIOS, but you can't leave out part of the update, lol. Igor's Lab is a great place to find out what works or workarounds for BIOS issues. The site's in Russian but the guy knows his stuff. He's got translated video's on YouTube as well. But you can ask him any question, if it hasn't been asked and he responds with a solid explanation. He explains why the Agesa version 1.0.8.0 is a defect and a Beta, not just "it's a bad version", a whole paragraph on it.

Trying to reinstall Windows off any SSD/HDD by like "reset this PC", or whatever will cause issues, even with the same chipset. The UUID will mess things up and I'm surprised it worked at all. Back in a day, you could take Windows 7 off say a "Gigabyte 990FX" board and "transplant the drive to an MSI with a 990FX chipset and it would work. Windows 10 binds itself to the board's MAC address/UUID, so really tough to "fool" it into thinking it's installed on the same machine. Like X570 to X570, even the same make board would fail. 

Glad you got it working good.

0 Likes

@cashby wrote:

I Decided to start over again. When I first built my system I used a SSD with the OS on it from my old PC and then tried to reinstall windows to my new M.2 SSD. it encountered some issues but eventually got it to work however I was noticing it was not showing as the first boot option in bios and every time I tried to change it - was causing issues. 

So I used the X570 Taichi mobo tools to wipe and format the M.2 drive which had my current OS on it. I then did a clean install of windows 10 and it fixed the boot drive issues. Somehow my samsung evo game drive got wiped but that's another story... 

I then started installing very minimal things - started off with epic games and played fortnite as this would cause my issues. didn't have any at all. It's been 4 days and I have not encountered any issues at all. started installing more things and still going well. 

I have not touched bios - everything is left on auto. I've run PCmark, 3Dmark and stress tests. It's the best I've had this run since I built it. still on the 3.40 bios from ASRock. 

Not sure if this would help others though but at least I still have everything still enabled and getting full use of CPU. 

Are you saying that a simple Windows re-install solved the problem for you?

Honestly I'm a bit confused. My system was initially stable right after I build it last week. Only yesterday it started rebooting randomly. As I kept testing throughout the day, it got worse - it rebooted even before it loaded Windows! Now it's in a pretty unusable state unless I disable CPB.

Also intially with CPB on, I felt it was boosting sporadically, causing higher temps (50s) even during idle. Now.. is it a program which is causing all this? Even if it is boosting, there's no reason for reboots. So, again, this is an AMD forum. Are they reading this? I think we need an acknowledgement from them so at least we have a peace of mind. I'm ok waiting for a BIOS fix but I need to know that it is being looked at.

0 Likes

If you're using a BIOS with AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.1.0.0 Patch C, try re-flashing to the one before the "C" patch. The one with a "C" is a "Beta".  @cashby is using a BIOS that is a non "C" patch: AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0

Between reinstalling Windows from scratch and using that version of Agesa, most likely solved his issue.

The other "beta" BIOS out that can be problematic is: Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.0.8.0

This is on X570 chipset boards. Agesa is AMD's code that applies to all BIOS's for the Ryzen series.

Other chipsets like the B550 have a similar "Beta" BIOS, I forget that version, but if you have a B550 board and a "Beta" version BIOS, try the previous release.

0 Likes

Gigabyte released a new BIOS, F31o (beta) on 12/03/2020, that updates to AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.1.0.0D. This has cured the WHEA - Logger Event ID 18 issues that I was having on my Aorus Elite v1 MB. So using a BIOS before or after AGESA 1.1.0.0C seems to fix the problem.

If you are using a 5000 series CPU on a Gigabyte MB, try the version that includes AGESA 1.1.0.0D

All the best.

0 Likes

@imraneo wrote:

@cashby wrote:

Are you saying that a simple Windows re-install solved the problem for you?

Honestly I'm a bit confused. My system was initially stable right after I build it last week. Only yesterday it started rebooting randomly. As I kept testing throughout the day, it got worse - it rebooted even before it loaded Windows! Now it's in a pretty unusable state unless I disable CPB.

Also intially with CPB on, I felt it was boosting sporadically, causing higher temps (50s) even during idle. Now.. is it a program which is causing all this? Even if it is boosting, there's no reason for reboots. So, again, this is an AMD forum. Are they reading this? I think we need an acknowledgement from them so at least we have a peace of mind. I'm ok waiting for a BIOS fix but I need to know that it is being looked at.

i had flashed bios back as per discussions on here but it didnt work. i then tried voltage changes with dram but i was like another user caused even more issues. SO in the end still on the flashed back bios. non beta - i used the motherboard tools to format my m.2 SSD and then reinstalled windows straight to the m.2 - fixed my boot start up issues and i havent had any issues now with the WHEA or Kernel - P errors for at least 4 days. fingers crossed that was it. Didnt have to change anything in bios at all. 

0 Likes