cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Lord_Vader
Adept I

Ryzen 5900x locked at 547 Mhz on all cores

I just built a pc with a Ryzen 5900x with the Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero MB and Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16 1.35V Memory.  All of my cores are running at 547 MHz.  Ryzen Master has 547 MHz listed as the Maximum CPU clock speed.  NOTHING changes it!  Not reboots, disabling fast boot, changing power balance settings or attempts at overclocking with Asus TPU II (Water cooled PC) or Ryzen Master.  No response from tech support yet.  Can anybody help me?  This is completely unacceptable, at least I still have my old Intel 6700K system to rely on until this gets resolved.

13 Replies
MikeGee
Adept I

Which Tech Support you have contacted? I hope the Asus Support not AMD, because this sounds like a MB problem in the first place. Have you checked your MB settings and made the config like the MB manual adviced for this CPU? Did you flashed the latest version of your Bios?

AMD user since 1994

I don't think it's the MB, in the bios it is recognized as 4300 MHz.  The CPU settings are BCLK 100.00 MHz, Core Voltage 1.001 V, Ratio 43x.  My temp is low at 38C. Ram is set to 3200MHz ,voltage 1.496.  Asus has an automatic overclock feature called TPM I for air and TPU II for water cooling.  I tried TPU II and nothing changed in windows.  It says at the boot screen that it's now overclocked at 16% but once I get into windows I'm putting along at speeds I haven't seen since the mid 90's.    

Sounds pretty straight forward expect for the voltage, 1.001 V sounds to low for me. I got the 5800X and have around 1.34 ~ 1.36 V (btw. my 3600MHZ Ram runs at 1.35 V). Try to get the Voltage like stated in the Specs for CPU  & RAM. And a general tip ist to try a USB Ubuntu just to exclude your OS as the culprit.

AMD user since 1994
Asryan
Adept II

I have exactly the same issue i don't understand what's happening. I'm using the stock bios profile, changed the power plan.. nothing works

misterj
Big Boss

Lord_Vader, please post a screenshot (complete) of Ryzen Master (RM) in Advanced Mode and one in Basic Mode. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
scratchfury
Adept I

I'm not the original poster, but I am running the same motherboard with a 5600X and can continue with the asked for screenshots.

RM-Basic-View.PNGRM-Advanced-View.PNG

scratchfury
Adept I

So after posting the screenshots, I messed with the voltage on Manual, and setting it to 1 or above seems to take it out of the funky state without having to reboot/power off.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

This is very strange behavior.  I would be tempted to clear the CMOS (pull the battery out for 10 minutes) and I might even flash the BIOS after that, even if you successfully already flashed the BIOS.  Be sure to reset the CMOS.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
johnsin
Journeyman III

I had the exact same problem with the same components:   New PC build with Ryzen 9 5900x, Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, Corsair Vengence LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, RTX 4070 Ti.   No matter what I did, all cores were locked at 547 MHz.   The UEFI was correctly set with DOCP and registered the CPU at 3900 MHz, the DDR4 was set to 3200 MHz -- everything looked right.    But CPU-Z registered the cores at 547 MHz????    Cinebench 24  multicores was giving showing s a dismal 133 pts, which should have been ~ 1200.   I was really stumped -- for weeks, I'm embarrassed to say.   But the problem was a SIMPLE FIX -- the Slow Mode switch on the MB was enabled, which should be disabled.   I disabled this switch and the CPU cores jumped up to 3900 MHz.   Somehow during the install I must have inadvertently engage this switch without knowning it.   I didn't even know this switch existed, which FYI, is used when an overclocked CPU becomes unstable and causes the system to crash.   If that happens,  you enable this switch and the CPU runs at reduced freq (547 MHz in this case) so you can adjust parameters.  The PC still runs fine at 547 MHz, just at 1980s PC speeds.   Hope this helps someone --- it was hardcore misery for me for weeks, I'm embarrassed to say.  Although, the upside when you expereince something like this is I really learned alot more about parameters tweakings in the UEFI (voltage settings, etc) CPU optimizations, GPUs, and motherboards.         

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Wow, thanks for sharing that @johnsin .  I have never heard of a 'Slow Mode' switch.  Is this a software setting in the BIOS or a physical switch on the motherboard?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

BigAl01, this appears to be an ASUS feature for ASUS users, and definitely needs more research. It is a physical switch on ASUS boards. Enjoy, John.

Yes, "Slow Mode" is a physcial switch on the ASUS Dark Hero VIII motherboard as shown below.

Screenshot 2024-01-20 104533.png

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

ASUS RoG boards do have these bios or physical jumpers/switches. Its in their nature of tweaking.

Like CPU vCore overvolt for extreme overclocks and DRAM overvolt and so on and so on.

Screenshot_20240120-162239_Chrome_1.jpg

The Englishman