cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hc1gunner
Adept I

Ryzen 5900X - Boost Mode ? ? ?

In December I built a new PC with a Ryzen 5900X, this is my first AMD based system in a long time.

I use the Ryzen Master app to monitor my temps, and have not used the app to change any of the default settings. What has become very annoying is...To the best of my knowledge, the simplest of tasks are causing the processor to go into boost mode for a few seconds, temps raise 10 - 20 degrees, then fall back to normal after a couple of seconds. Every time I open a new tab in a browser, run any simple low-end app, it appears that the processor goes into "boost mode" for a couple of seconds. I can see no reason or need for this while just opening websites, or at the startup of any simple app. What's happening is...every time it does this the temperature goes up, and then my fans kick in (as they should). So instead of sitting at my PC with everything nice and quiet, performing simple desktop tasks, I have to listen to my systems fans kick into higher RPM's (a lot of extra noise), kick in, kick out, repeat, repeat, and so forth, very annoying.  

I can see boost mode being needed if running games, or apps (programs) that require a lot of processor power, but for it to kick in with every single simple low-end app or new web page opened is ridiculous, and not needed. The base clock of 3.7 GHz is plenty powerful (fast enough) to run simple tasks. I don't want boost kost disable, because I do game a lot.

I contacted AMD support, the person assigned to my case has just taken me around in circles with all kinds of stucpid things that made no sense, or worked, now he passed it on to another department, and I have not had a reply in a week.

It makes no difference if Windows Power Plan is set to balanced or high performance, the system reacts the same.

Using Gigabyte Smart Fan 5 app to monitor, and run all system fans, app works just fine. It sees temps instant rise 10 - 20 degrees, fans kick in instantly. 

Sys Specs:

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - rev 1.2 - socket AM4 - BIOS F31o
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (B08164VTWH)
G.SKILL TridentZ Neo 32GB DDR4 3600 Model F4-3600C14D-32GTZN (CL16)
SSD - M.2 NVMe 1 TB - Samsung 980 PRO (MZ-V8P1T0B/AM)
Power Supply - Seasonic PRIME PX-850, SR-850PD.
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 Liquid CPU Cooler.
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 8G
0 Likes
3 Replies
kurdtnz
Adept III

Im no expert by any means but to be honest, what you are explaining sounds like normal Ryzen behaviour. They work differently from intel cpu's and are constantly boosting to their max speed on 1-2 cores for brief periods on light threaded workloads. I had a 3600X and now a 5600X and they do exactly the same. The temp rises and voltage rises only last for split seconds. I get what you mean by this behaviour making the cpu cooler and other fans continuously ramping up and down which can be really loud and annoying but after buying a better cpu cooler it is no longer audible,(and my case fans are 2 big 200mm fans that are constantly on max rpm anyway,so im use to that noise.)

0 Likes

I running all 140mm fans, and the processor is liquid cooled. It get it might be how they act, but I still see no reason (by design) to go in and out boost mode for simple low-end stuff, you not gain and speed in open a new tab in a browser, and its certainly not needed. I would say a redesign of how boost mode works is needed.

All my PC's since 1996 have had a liquid cooled processor, even going way back to Athlon's, and I've never had a processor that could just all sudden rise 10 -20 degrees.

So when I game, which is a much harder work load on the processor, and the load is at a constant, my CPU runs at about 52 - 65C. So how opening a new tab for a web page can instantly create a temp of 50 - 62C does not make any sense. Desktop temp is around 37, so by going into boost mode to open a website, the processor is jumping 13 - 25 makes no since when it has water cooled copper plate sitting on it.

0 Likes

You can turn off Core Performance Boost in BIOS - CPU will not boost anymore - it will work 10-20% slower - but for games, you will still have more than enough power

0 Likes