Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

razumasu
Adept I

Ryzen 5900X and windows install failure

Hello.

In short the Issue is: I can't install Windows 10 or Linux on my new PC. I have tested all components and the only thing left that i suspect could be an issue is the CPU. How do i check for a faulty CPU with no OS installed?

The long version:

I bought completely new components for a new PC. Components are:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG crosshair VIII Dark Hero.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x

RAM: 4x8gb G.Skill TridentZ NEO 3600 mhz

PSU: Corsair RM850X 850w.

GPU: Gigabyte RTX2070 Super

CPU Cooler: NZXT Z73

HDD: Samsung Evo Pro 980 2tb nvme m.2.

Cabinet: Nzxt H710i.

When i boot on the Windows installer from a USB i get the error: “Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation. (Error: 0xC0000005)”

Sometimes i get BSOD's before even getting into the Windows installer. The BSOD's i get are all over the place:

Irql not less or equal
System PTE Misuse
Memory_Management

When installing Ubuntu Linux the machine just freezes during install.

Things i have tried (this is the long list):

Install media:

• Tried 3 different USB's and an external harddrive.
  • Tried USB stick on different machine. Windows installs fine from it.
  • Used Windows Media Creation tool to create bootable USB.

RAM:

• Switched to non QVL Kingston Ram that is working on my Intel machine. Errors still occured.
  • Switched to non QVL G.Skill Ram. Error still occured.
  • Tried QVL Ram in a different system. No errors occured in new system.
  • Run memcheck for 24 hours. No errors found.

Ram is running pure vanilla at 2100 mhz.

Motherboard:

• Bios updated to latest version. Errors still occur.
  • Exchanged motherboard to completely new motherboard because of suspicion on RMA. Errors still occur.

M.2

• Make sure CSM is disabled.
  • Set secure boot to other OS
  • Clear secure boot keys.
  • Use M.2. drive in different machine (intel) for several weeks with no errors.

SSD

• Because the M.2 drive i have is not on the QVL i bought a smaller SATA SSD which was on the list. Same errors.
  • Used old SATA SSD. Same errors.

PSU:

• Moved PSU from other PC to test. Same errors.
  • Moved new PSU to old PC. No errors.

GPU:

• The GPU is from my old Intel machine and works fine there. I've tried with a GTX 980ti on the new machine as well. Same error.

CPU:

• Temperature is running around 33 degrees celcius.
  • I have removed the CPU and verified that no pins are bent or broken.

Oddities:

• I managed to install Windows 10 on the M.2 through my other PC. Moving the M.2 to the new PC i managed to boot into Windows. But it only lasted a short while with multiple BSOD's until the disk was corrupted.

Other:

• Besides the CSM and secure boot changes i have changed nothing in the bios. So no overclocking or anything.

The only component i have left to test is the CPU, but i don't have another AMD board i can put it in, and neither do i have another Ryzen to put in my new board.

So is there a way to test if a CPU is faulty without installing an OS? I have litterally tested everything else.

ALL suggestions appreciated because i have almost given up right about now. 

A lot of the BSOD's relate to memory and storage, an my final idea is if the processor has an error that messes up memory handling? I dunno.... i am blank. 

Help!

0 Likes
1 Solution
razumasu
Adept I

Final update:

It was a defective CPU.

During my attempt to problem solve this a LOT of people have claimed that if you can access your bios it can't possibly be a CPU error. This is wrong. It was a CPU error.

So to anyone who might find this post in the future when looking for assistance. I suggest having your CPU RMA'ed.

Over and out.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies