Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

razumasu
Adept I

Ryzen 5900X and windows install failure

Hello.

In short the Issue is: I can't install Windows 10 or Linux on my new PC. I have tested all components and the only thing left that i suspect could be an issue is the CPU. How do i check for a faulty CPU with no OS installed?

The long version:

I bought completely new components for a new PC. Components are:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG crosshair VIII Dark Hero.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x

RAM: 4x8gb G.Skill TridentZ NEO 3600 mhz

PSU: Corsair RM850X 850w.

GPU: Gigabyte RTX2070 Super

CPU Cooler: NZXT Z73

HDD: Samsung Evo Pro 980 2tb nvme m.2.

Cabinet: Nzxt H710i.

When i boot on the Windows installer from a USB i get the error: “Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation. (Error: 0xC0000005)”

Sometimes i get BSOD's before even getting into the Windows installer. The BSOD's i get are all over the place:

Irql not less or equal
System PTE Misuse
Memory_Management

When installing Ubuntu Linux the machine just freezes during install.

Things i have tried (this is the long list):

Install media:

• Tried 3 different USB's and an external harddrive.
  • Tried USB stick on different machine. Windows installs fine from it.
  • Used Windows Media Creation tool to create bootable USB.

RAM:

• Switched to non QVL Kingston Ram that is working on my Intel machine. Errors still occured.
  • Switched to non QVL G.Skill Ram. Error still occured.
  • Tried QVL Ram in a different system. No errors occured in new system.
  • Run memcheck for 24 hours. No errors found.

Ram is running pure vanilla at 2100 mhz.

Motherboard:

• Bios updated to latest version. Errors still occur.
  • Exchanged motherboard to completely new motherboard because of suspicion on RMA. Errors still occur.

M.2

• Make sure CSM is disabled.
  • Set secure boot to other OS
  • Clear secure boot keys.
  • Use M.2. drive in different machine (intel) for several weeks with no errors.

SSD

• Because the M.2 drive i have is not on the QVL i bought a smaller SATA SSD which was on the list. Same errors.
  • Used old SATA SSD. Same errors.

PSU:

• Moved PSU from other PC to test. Same errors.
  • Moved new PSU to old PC. No errors.

GPU:

• The GPU is from my old Intel machine and works fine there. I've tried with a GTX 980ti on the new machine as well. Same error.

CPU:

• Temperature is running around 33 degrees celcius.
  • I have removed the CPU and verified that no pins are bent or broken.

Oddities:

• I managed to install Windows 10 on the M.2 through my other PC. Moving the M.2 to the new PC i managed to boot into Windows. But it only lasted a short while with multiple BSOD's until the disk was corrupted.

Other:

• Besides the CSM and secure boot changes i have changed nothing in the bios. So no overclocking or anything.

The only component i have left to test is the CPU, but i don't have another AMD board i can put it in, and neither do i have another Ryzen to put in my new board.

So is there a way to test if a CPU is faulty without installing an OS? I have litterally tested everything else.

ALL suggestions appreciated because i have almost given up right about now. 

A lot of the BSOD's relate to memory and storage, an my final idea is if the processor has an error that messes up memory handling? I dunno.... i am blank. 

Help!

0 Likes
1 Solution
razumasu
Adept I

Final update:

It was a defective CPU.

During my attempt to problem solve this a LOT of people have claimed that if you can access your bios it can't possibly be a CPU error. This is wrong. It was a CPU error.

So to anyone who might find this post in the future when looking for assistance. I suggest having your CPU RMA'ed.

Over and out.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Seekx
Journeyman III

Hello Razu...tbh if you encounter these kind of things nad you cant even install windows normally...RMA it. They will check if its faulty and iam pretty sure it is.

0 Likes

You could also try asking for assistance from https://www.tenforums.com/ for install issues.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Sounds like you need to rma the cpu.

0 Likes

try manual setting cpu speed and vcore? disable the pbo and curve

0 Likes

Here is a simple answer:

If you can get into BIOS, then your CPU is functioning.

That CPU will do millions of instructions before you can blink your eyes.

Just bring up BIOS and let it sit there.  If it crashes before you get into BIOS, then you have

some sort of physical error.   Just sitting in BIOS the system is still refreshing the screen,  listening to 

the keyboard, and that pesky mouse.  Running the timers.   (ie.  millions of instructions being executed) 

With installing an operating system, my experience is

that most errors are User errors(you) with a very few being the software expecting a particular 

type of hardware.

0 Likes

Maybe check the firmware on your ssd's.

0 Likes

I haven't tried updating the SSD firmware. I will try that. 

However i have tried the old sata ssd, the new sata ssd and the m.2 in my old 2016 intel build. And I can install a clean windows on them all there with no problem at all. 

0 Likes

If your system is stable in BIOS.   Then I believe you DON'T have a hardware error.

Sometimes the USB thumb drive doesn't fit in the USB Port well. But I think you ruled that out with the external drive.

If your system doesn't freeze up or blue screen when you are in BIOS - then it is time to look at Software (OS) or BIOS settings.

Even if you want to eventually run CSM disabled.   I suggest you get over this problem first by running CSM enabled.

Load optimized defaults in BIOS.  Keep CSM enabled.  Then try Installing windows again.

0 Likes

All parts New

Moby         Rog Crosshair VIII Hero

CPU           AMD 9 5900

Cooler       Wraith Prism Thermal

What do you do when it gives a "CPU fan error", but the fan power is plugged in and the fan is physically spinning away but the boot up only lets me go into bios(F1) but it won't boot to set up win10?

0 Likes

fan error means the fan rpm cable is disconnect or bad fan or pin not well plug in.... depents........ else bad board as well........

0 Likes

Please excuse my ignorance but I don't see any cable except the power cable on the Wraith Prism Thermal cooler.  It and the CPU & moby are new.(still could be bad I guess, but how do I check?  Confusing, I have built about 10 computers in the last 20 years and never see this problem.

0 Likes
razumasu
Adept I

Final update:

It was a defective CPU.

During my attempt to problem solve this a LOT of people have claimed that if you can access your bios it can't possibly be a CPU error. This is wrong. It was a CPU error.

So to anyone who might find this post in the future when looking for assistance. I suggest having your CPU RMA'ed.

Over and out.

0 Likes