cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Nekela
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5800x system crashing into reboot while under gaming loads unless 2 cores are disabled

Try going in to the bios and setting the performance enhancer to level 3. Then go to the PBO settings and set PBO to enabled and Fmax enhancer to enabled. After that go to the advanced tab and open AMD overclocking. Select PBO here and set PBO to advanced and the limit to motherboard. Also make sure that eco mode is turned off

tim716
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Ryzen 5800x system crashing into reboot while under gaming loads unless 2 cores are disabled

Thank you really much! 

Unfortunately, it hasn't solved the problem entirely, the system still BSODs or reboots 15-20 seconds after the CPU goes from a burn-in load to idle most of the time with your settings (and CPB on). 

And the core voltages of 0.2V in idle are still there :(

But it hasn't crashed yet after exiting games, i.e. in real applications. So it looks like the system is more stable with these settings. I think I'll leave it like that for now and test further. 

Is there maybe a way to hard limit the lower core voltage, or some other way to try and make the system stable?

0 Kudos
kumarab123
Adept I
Adept I

Had the same problem on a new build. 5600x and B550 Gaming Plus, 1660s and 32Gig DD4 3200Mhz. Developed 3 days after being totally stable. Random restarts, it even started crashing in the BIOS (so that ruled out windows/driver related issues). At first I thought it was a PSU issue, but the same day, within 10-12 hours the motherboard just stopped breathing, no post at all, all debug LED's lit up solid white. Bought all stuff locally from a vendor so the RMA was good and the mb was replaced within 2 hours. It's been running fine for 3 days now (touches wood).

What I'd suggest is to boot into the BIOS. Just let it stay there on the hardware monitor page. See what it does. If it crashes, it's a 99pc chance it's the motherboard, or a 1pc chance it's a PSU(or some other power related issue). Although not impossible, it's very unlikely the CPU itself is a lemon.

Regards

Jazzinplayer
Adept II
Adept II

Dude, I found the solution to my problem. Check it out on my thread, it was some cable extensions I was using, at the end PSU related. 

But I wanted to tell you to check out your gpu installation, it might sound dumb but believe me, this might be your problem.

The shield thing they added to the GPU slot is very tricky. You might think GPU is properly inserted but many times is not. There is a double lock system on this design and you gotta make sure is actually locked on both ends. 
I noticed it because my gtx 1060 worked well but my 2080 didn't. The 2080s has a thicker pcb and it's tricky, you insert the card and the right lock pops/clicks and you think is fine. But on the left there is a 1/20 of an inch left to push in and lock the other bracket. Check the picture and push as you would with a DDR4 stick.

The thick shield thing they added is pretty tricky, will make you think GPU is OK but is not, also check your PSU/Cables. Detailed info on my post

mb_locking.jpg

tim716
Adept II
Adept II

With great help from some Russian gurus I finally found (I hope) a solution for my case.

Just to remind you, my problem specifics were crashes in transitions from loads to idle, in idle within 30 seconds after a transition, or when applying a load again after these 30 seconds. NEVER under a load. Turning the Core Performance Boost off eliminated the issue together with the CPU performance.  If you're in the same boat, try this, it should help.

The following is for the ASUS bios, for other vendors the same parameters may be hidden in another place.

The system is stable so far with the following BIOS settings:

Go to AMD overclocking, set the Presicion Boost Overdrive to Manual. Some additional parameters will appear. In there:

1. (The main thing) Set the EDC current limit to 200A.

2. (Just in case) Set the power limit to 130W.

3. (Just in case) Set the temperature limit to 83C.

1 is an increase, 2 and 3 is a decrease. Leave at zeros all the rest there.

Also, just in case, set Idle Voltage to Typical, Global C-states control to Disable, check that ECO mode is Off. Then you can set Core Precision Boost back to On, everything should work.

Looks like the MB and its BIOS wasn't tested with a 5000 CPU at all (or, if it was, it was like "Ok, it boots, that means it works, great, the job's done), and the BIOS just doesn't know about the larger peak currents of Rysen 5000s, and the BIOS' "digital fuse" is just too small for a new CPU. When changing its clocks the CPU, probably, tries to draw more current, the "fuse" (EDC current limit) kicks in and the CPU malfunctions and produces a BSOD.

These currents (or how the "fuse" works) also definitely depend on the MB and/or the CPU heating (I didn't have any BSODs when cooling the open case with a cold hair fan), that explains why not everyone with the config like mine has the same problem, people with better cooling (or a colder GPU) might be ok at defaults.

rumple
Adept II
Adept II

This looks like a great thing for a youtube video.  =)  Good job.  I think you may have nailed it.

---------------------------------- My edit of Tim716's Advice: -----------------------------------------------

Background:

BIOS just doesn't know about the larger peak currents of Rysen 5000s, and the BIOS' "digital fuse" is just too small for a new CPU. When changing its clocks the CPU, probably, tries to draw more current, the "fuse" (EDC current limit) kicks in and the CPU malfunctions and produces a BSOD.

These currents (or how the "fuse" works) also definitely depend on the MB and/or the CPU heating (I didn't have any BSODs when cooling the open case with a cold hair fan), that explains why not everyone with the config like mine has the same problem, people with better cooling (or a colder GPU) might be ok at defaults.

---------------------------

THE SOLUTION:

Go into BIOS. Disable CBP, save, reboot. Go back into BIOS.
Set the performance enhancer to level 3.
Then go to the PBO settings and
set PBO to enabled
set Fmax enhancer to enabled.
Open the advanced tab and open AMD overclocking.
Select PBO here
set PBO to advanced and the limit to motherboard.
(The main thing) EDC - Set Spike VRM-out current limit to 200A. (later we can back this down, probably AGESA 1.2)
(Just in case) PPT - Set the socket power limit to 130W. (depends on mobo)
(Just in case) TDC - Set the vrm thermal limit to 85. (depends on mobo and proc)
EDC is a temporary massive increase, PPT here a decrease. TDC depends on your cooling of VRMS and such.

Leave at zeros all the rest in that menu
Set Idle Voltage to Typical
Set Global C-states control to Disable
MAKE SURE THAT ECO MODE IS OFF.
NOW you can reboot, go into BIOS and set Core Precision Boost back to On, everything should work.

Namredel
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Made an account just to say thanks it appears this helped my issue out or it hasn't happend in the 3-4 hours gaming session I did and it usually happens in that time frame. I thought it was thermals at first but it wasn't. I have the Asus crosshair hero VIII if anyone wanted to know. Hopefully they get a bios update to fix this? I long for the day I can use my 5800 to it's full power.

0 Kudos
r0gues4int
Adept I
Adept I

You think this may work for me?

I have the same problems with a 5500 XT, Cpu is 3 3100 and a Gigabyte mobo A520M DSH3

@tim716 wrote:

With great help from some Russian gurus I finally found (I hope) a solution for my case.

Just to remind you, my problem specifics were crashes in transitions from loads to idle, in idle within 30 seconds after a transition, or when applying a load again after these 30 seconds. NEVER under a load. Turning the Core Performance Boost off eliminated the issue together with the CPU performance.  If you're in the same boat, try this, it should help.

The following is for the ASUS bios, for other vendors the same parameters may be hidden in another place.

The system is stable so far with the following BIOS settings:

Go to AMD overclocking, set the Presicion Boost Overdrive to Manual. Some additional parameters will appear. In there:

1. (The main thing) Set the EDC current limit to 200A.

2. (Just in case) Set the power limit to 130W.

3. (Just in case) Set the temperature limit to 83C.

1 is an increase, 2 and 3 is a decrease. Leave at zeros all the rest there.

Also, just in case, set Idle Voltage to Typical, Global C-states control to Disable, check that ECO mode is Off. Then you can set Core Precision Boost back to On, everything should work.

Looks like the MB and its BIOS wasn't tested with a 5000 CPU at all (or, if it was, it was like "Ok, it boots, that means it works, great, the job's done), and the BIOS just doesn't know about the larger peak currents of Rysen 5000s, and the BIOS' "digital fuse" is just too small for a new CPU. When changing its clocks the CPU, probably, tries to draw more current, the "fuse" (EDC current limit) kicks in and the CPU malfunctions and produces a BSOD.

0 Kudos
alexvojacek
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I just registered to say that your suggestion completely fixed my issue.

I had innumerable problems since my new assembly,  Gigabyte X570 Master and Geforce RTX 2080 Ti.

Tons of problems from device missing focus, crashes on games after 5 minutes, freezes.   Once I've removed my card and re-seated back in, everything solved.  I can now run an hour of 3DMark tests without any crashes.

Thank you so much !!!

Luca2490
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Off chance you would know similar instructions for a gigabyte board I'm on an X470 Ultra gaming

0 Kudos