cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

aetheralG
Adept I

Ryzen 5800x system crashing into reboot while under gaming loads unless 2 cores are disabled

Build:

CPU: 5800x (Noctua D15 cooler) - Max temp 64 degrees under load

GPU: Radeon 6800xt (Sapphire Reference Model) - Max temp 78 degrees under load

PSU: Corsair RM850x (850 watt)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz

MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite Wifi

Issue: My new build crashes when under gaming loads and the pc reboots itself (no BSOD). At first, i thought the problem was due to insufficient power so I swapped my 750w power supply with a brand new 850w power supply (that's 200 dollars I'm not getting back due to return policies). I've tried reinstalling chipset drivers, graphical drivers, disabling XMPs, disabling SAM, disabling boosting, and plugging my PC into the wall outlet directly (instead of into a surge protector). I have run windows memory diagnostic, as well as 1 pass of memtest86 (will do more overnight), and I have tried several bios revisions (only ones that support Zen 3).

All my temperatures in HWInfo and all seem perfectly fine even upon crashing.

The only thing has seemed to work is running the 5800x as a 6 core processor using the BIOS settings. This causes the system to become stable. I'm extremely confused as to why this works, but it does.

Do I just have a faulty 5800x and need to RMA? Has anyone else encountered this problem? I'm very confused.

46 Replies
simaem
Adept I

Re: Ryzen 5800x system crashing into reboot while under gaming loads unless 2 cores are disabled

Hey Bud 
You and many others are having this same issue like me with different processors, please check some threads here.

mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Re: Ryzen 5800x system crashing into reboot while under gaming loads unless 2 cores are disabled

00.PNG

You need to upgrade your BIOS. If you are still having problems, you need to increase the CPU core voltage with the BIOS. If you're still having problems, you need to reduce your CPU speed with CPU ration with the BIOS. If you still have problems, return your motherboard. 

Restart problems usually indicate that the motherboard is faulty.

EDIT: You should use the BIOS in default settings, and also remove tools such as Ryzen Master from your system.

katatonia
Journeyman III

I have the same issue, can't use processor unless i either disable all but one core, or i undervolt my processor to 1.3v, and then still it crashes under heavy load.

I tried with two different, both brand new, motherboards with latest bios. They are not the issue, the CPU is.

mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

00.PNG

Specs for the 5800x are available in this picture.

The system I am currently using does not contain an AMD component. But I managed to solve some stabilization problems that I had before by doing some changes with the BIOS for an AMD system.

Looking at the specs for the 5800x, CPU Core Ratio seems to be 38.
So... Would you go to the BIOS and try to give the CPU Core Ratio value 36?

Also, 1.3vcore value can be quite low. When you increase this value, does the error count decrease? 

Obviously, minor BIOS changes for a newly purchased system may make the system very stable...

0 Likes
URV05
Journeyman III

I am also encountering problems with a 5800x and a b550m aorus pro motherboard.

My issue is that the system shut downs mostly when I'm restarting  windows or arbitrary under various types of loads.

First I tough the issue is the psu, swapped and it' the same. Then I replaced the ram with a pair from the QVL and it was the same with and without XMP.

My temperatures under load are fine, and i can stress the cpu at 100% without issues. Even at 80-90 degrees it didn't shuts down, however It does it randomly even when idle or booting cold.

Reinstalled windows several times, installed latest bios and chipset drivers and removed my nvme ssd and installed windows on a ssd from the supported list...reseated everything on the MB and it was the same.

What seems to be stable for a few hours now is the fact that i disabled Core Performance Boost.

Now I am sitting at 3.8 without any boost without encountering any shut down so far...

I am starting to think that the CPU is not quite fine, or the motherboard bios is the issue.

Jazzinplayer
Adept II

Having the same Issue. Also a x570 Aorus Elite motherboard. Just uploaded a new post with the whole explanation and temporary solution.  

Disable Core Boost Performance from Bios and run at base clock speed. You can enable XMP and it will work fine. 

I think motherboard is not being able to correctly manage voltages under auto settings, this should be Bios/driver related

0 Likes
Jazzinplayer
Adept II

Same issue with 5600x and x570 aorus. Actualice I noticed any setting above 1.3 v cpu core,  will cause crash in games. My only solution is running base clock no Core Boost and enable XMP. That gives me stability and best scores.

0 Likes
Jazzinplayer
Adept II

Exactly what happens to me. Deactivate CPB and run the CPU at base clock, the activate XMP on you DDR4. That will work stable and cause no crashes. Is not a desirable fix but at least is stable and somehow good performance

@URV05 wrote:

I am also encountering problems with a 5800x and a b550m aorus pro motherboard.

My issue is that the system shut downs mostly when I'm restarting  windows or arbitrary under various types of loads.

First I tough the issue is the psu, swapped and it' the same. Then I replaced the ram with a pair from the QVL and it was the same with and without XMP.

My temperatures under load are fine, and i can stress the cpu at 100% without issues. Even at 80-90 degrees it didn't shuts down, however It does it randomly even when idle or booting cold.

Reinstalled windows several times, installed latest bios and chipset drivers and removed my nvme ssd and installed windows on a ssd from the supported list...reseated everything on the MB and it was the same.

What seems to be stable for a few hours now is the fact that i disabled Core Performance Boost.

Now I am sitting at 3.8 without any boost without encountering any shut down so far...

I am starting to think that the CPU is not quite fine, or the motherboard bios is the issue.

mrsense
Adept II

Don't flash the bios with SAM.  Currently, there's some sort of issue causing no boot, loss of performance (if you can boot into the Windows or graphic and sound issue.  Flash back to the older bios without SAM.