cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Sentry
Adept I

Ryzen 5700G + Asus Pro B550M-C won't boot, 6 beeps

New build with an ASUS Pro B550M C/CSM motherboard and Ryzen 5700G. Doesn't POST - instead I get 6 short beeps. This isn't in the manual. Anecdotal evidence from the internet suggests the BIOS is too old to support the new CPU. Which makes sense, because it was the one risk I exposed myself to with this build. 

This motherboard does not have Flashback.

Oddly, the printed manual mentions the 5000 series specifically - anyway there are multiple BIOS versions before CPU support was added for the new chips, and it's the most likely problem. Nobody can confirm (even ASUS) what the 6 beeps means though.

I have contacted ASUS but they are the definition of useless. I have contacted AMD for a boot kit and they asked me for additional, which I sent, but I haven't heard from them in 2 days (from my previous response, even). I'm just don't really have anyone responsive to help me here.

This is a really frustrating situation that AMD created for consumers. What can I do next besides hound AMD and ASUS?

0 Likes
7 Replies

This 2 year old Asus Thread where one User says 6 Beeps indicates a failed GPU: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?107916-Maximus-vii-hero-6-short-beeps-beepcode-and-doesnt-...

Screenshot 2021-09-16 103642.png

Not sure how reliable that User's answer is though.

One question by a User in that thread is what type of Motherboard Q-Code was generated when it failed to boot? 

What Motherboard Trouble LED light was on? VGA, CPU, RAM, System?

According to your Motherboard CPU SUPPORT list you need BIOS version 1401 (12/08/2020) or newer to be able to recognize and boot with the Ryzen 5700G APU Processor.

If your motherboard was manufactured before 12/2020 than you have an incompatible BIOS version installed and needs to be upgraded.

If you haven't updated your BIOS since you purchased the Asus Motherboard you can find out which BIOS version is installed from the factory by looking for a thin white label with about 2 lines on it near the DIMM Slots or CPU Socket. At the end of one of the lines should have a 4 digit number on it. This is the BIOS version that is installed on your motherboard.

If it is older than 1401 that is your problem and you need to flash your motherboard BIOS to version 1401 or newer for your processor to work.

NOTE: if you need to flash your BIOS you will need to either borrow a supported Ryzen processor or take your motherboard to a computer shop to upgrade the BIOS or see if Asus Support will upgrade the BIOS or submit for a AMD BOOT KIT which is free whereas AMD will send you a processor to upgrade the BIOS and then your return the processor back to AMD.

Ok this was extremely helpful; thank you. This confirms the problem. The last four digits on the barcode on the motherboard are 0214, which is the very first BIOS version listed on Asus's site, which is before the CPU support was added.

But I suppose my problem remains the same - I need to get AMD to send me a boot kit and they haven't been super responsive in doing so. 

Seems like you opened a RMA Request.

Here is all the information concerning the AMD Boot Kit: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105

Screenshot 2021-09-16 103642.png

Note: Found an update AMD Boot Kit that includes the 5000 Series Processors and 500 Series Motherboards.

0 Likes
ryzen_type_r
Challenger

The 5000G series SKUs were only released recently whereas the non G CPU's were released nearly a year ago.  It's not really AMD's nor Asus's fault that a mobo that may have been sitting on a shelf for months with an outdated BIOS that doesn't support a new CPU.  This is the nature of DIY computers.  I think if anyone should be helping you, it should be Asus, but I've learned long ago not to have any expectations of good support from mobo manufacturers lol.

You'll need to get beg/borrow/steal a non G CPU and flash the mobo with a compatible BIOS before you can use your processor.  Try a local computer store to see if they can do this for you, throw them a coupla bucks or buy them a pizza.

It is not my understanding that the new G series CPUs need yet another BIOS update to be supported. Rather, just the one from last December that added support for the 5000 series in general.

There is no BIOS update in the last couple months that has "Added CPU support" as a release note - yet ASUS's web site specifically lists the 5700G as one of the CPUs that have been tested with this board.

The local computer store idea is a good one though; I am going to try that.

0 Likes

From Asus  Support CPU SUPPORT LIST BIOS verision 1401 supports all the processors on the list including the 5700G.

BIOS 1401 notes just mentions "New CPU Support" which indicates all the processors on the list including, as you mentioned, the 5000 series processors.

All BIOS versions 1401 and newer now support all the processors on the list which is why it isn't mentioned.

Find out how much the local computer shop will charge you for that service.

0 Likes
Sentry
Adept I

I had a local shop install an old CPU and update the BIOS, gave it back to me and everything worked perfectly first try. Thanks.