Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Alex34
Adept II

Ryzen 5600x unstable work

Hello everyone!

I have Ryzen 5600x + Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro-p (BIOS F15c). For more than six months now, the computer has been unstable. Problems:

1. The computer can turn on from the third or even the fifth time. I press the power button, the coolers are working, but there is no image on the screen. There are no postcodes (beeper is silent). The feeling that there is no initialization.
2. If the computer turns on, it passes all kinds of stress tests. It works without problems.
3. Sometimes he does not see the m2 drive, which is connected to a slot connected directly to the processor.
4. The RX6700XT graphics card operates in PCI-E 3.0 mode

After updating the BIOS, problems began to appear a little less frequently.
If I install an old GX1050TI video card into my computer, then all these problems are not observed. BUT the RX6700XT is absolutely working, this is the second RX6700XT. It looks like there are problems with the processor?

PC conf:

VGA: PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Red Devil [AXRX 6700XT 12GBD6-3DHE/OC]
PSU: be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 9 600W [BN247]
RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator [HX436C17PB4K2/16] 16 ГБ
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition [RR-212S-20PK-R1]
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X OEM
MB: GIGABYTE B550M AORUS PRO-P
SSD: WD Black SN750 [WDS100T3X0C-00SJG0]

0 Likes
1 Solution
Alex34
Adept II

Hello.

I replaced the motherboard with an Asus B550M-PLUS. Everything works great now.

Thank you all!

View solution in original post

26 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

People should always list all the components of their PC and preferably operating system, software running when issues appear, what updates are or are not installed, is anything overclocked or altered and so on.

Can't find F15c BIOS from Gigabyte, only F156a and F15d, so maybe install d.

But in short, sounds like memory stability issue. Though M.2 problem could be due to too high baseclock too.

Go to BIOS, make sure baseclock is 100MHz and easiest is likely to increase memory voltage to 1.375V-1.4V, not more though. If this doesn't fix it, then you need to drop memory speed one or two steps, but update the BIOS first. Also check you have PCIe 16x gen4 enabled in BIOS and that you don't daisy chain power cables to GPU (but use two separate cables from PSU to GPU). EDIT: What PSU do you have?

Other issues are hardly related, but due tgo PCIe gen3, you might want to reseat your CPU and while you are at it, check there are no bent pins.

Sorry, I edited the first post, added information about the PC configuration.

I took off the processor and checked the status of the socket and all pins. Everything is OK.

All BIOS settings are set by default. No overclocking. I tried to set the PCI E operation mode to 4.0 mode manually, but the video card still works in 3.0 mode. I conducted all memory tests with and without XMP. RAM works fine. I repeat, if the computer boots up, it passes all stress tests, all components.

And again, if I change the video card to the old GF1050, then there will be no problems with the PC.

But RX6700XT has been tested on other computers and it works fine there. My computer does not want to work normally with two different RX6700XT.

BIOS 15c was removed from the Gigabyte company's server, they remove all intermediate bios versions. I have updated the BIOS several times over the past 8 months. It didn't get much better.

The warranty on the components is coming to an end soon. It is difficult to give the entire PC to the service center under warranty, since the PC is used daily for work.

0 Likes

Still, I would do the things I mentioned.

- Having latest BIOS is a good thing
- Your PSU might not be able to run 6700XT or could be defective
- Other than 100MHz baseclock can cause issues and some manufacturers default over 100 to get small performance boost in reviews
Assuming you have your GPU in the first (upmost) slot, it's lanes go to CPU pins and contact issue there can cause problems
- Not starting properly could be PSU, motherboard, CPU, memory and many other things. Could be memory controller not handling current memero speed (might work with higher voltage, but I'd somehow rather loosen memory timings), could be due to memory sticks and work with higher dram voltage.

"I repeat, if the computer boots up, it passes all stress tests, all components."

So did mine, but still would not always boot up until I loosened memory timings. Had to clear cmos to get it to boot at all.

@MADZyren wrote:

Still, I would do the things I mentioned.

- Having latest BIOS is a good thing
- Your PSU might not be able to run 6700XT or could be defective
- Other than 100MHz baseclock can cause issues and some manufacturers default over 100 to get small performance boost in reviews
Assuming you have your GPU in the first (upmost) slot, it's lanes go to CPU pins and contact issue there can cause problems
- Not starting properly could be PSU, motherboard, CPU, memory and many other things. Could be memory controller not handling current memero speed (might work with higher voltage, but I'd somehow rather loosen memory timings), could be due to memory sticks and work with higher dram voltage.

"I repeat, if the computer boots up, it passes all stress tests, all components."

So did mine, but still would not always boot up until I loosened memory timings. Had to clear cmos to get it to boot at all.

Understood.

"- Having latest BIOS is a good thing"

I will update BIOS.

"- Your PSU might not be able to run 6700XT or could be defective"

Then how can it pass the test under load? After all, the role of the power supply is simple - to give the right voltage in terms of voltage and power?

"- Other than 100MHz baseclock can cause issues and some manufacturers default over 100 to get small performance boost in reviews"

Checked now. 99.80 Mgz

"- Assuming you have your GPU in the first (upmost) slot, it's lanes go to CPU pins and contact issue there can cause problems"

I was checking the CPU and GPU slot contacts. It's all good. I have installed and removed these components several times.

"- Not starting properly could be PSU, motherboard, CPU, memory and many other things. Could be memory controller not handling current memero speed (might work with higher voltage, but I'd somehow rather loosen memory timings), could be due to memory sticks and work with higher dram voltage."

How can some components be logically excluded? There is no way to check each of them individually?I also questioned the memory controller, but then why, after installing a weak video card, the system starts quickly and correctly? Every time.

"So did mine, but still would not always boot up until I loosened memory timings. Had to clear cmos to get it to boot at all."

This is not normal. And can it mean about incorrect operation of RAM? But my memory works without overclocking XMP.

0 Likes

"Then how can it pass the test under load? After all, the role of the power supply is simple - to give the right voltage in terms of voltage and power?"

Could be temperature difference causing or fixing contact issue on solder, could be capasitor issue, could be different kind of power spike needed when starting than when running, or something else.

"How can some components be logically excluded?"

Kind of difficult if you don't have (or someone you know has) compatible parts you can test with, but usually by removing everything you can and try if it works then. Also if it starts at all, lowering clocks, giving more voltage, trying with one memory stick at time aso. 

The reason machine works with weaker GPU could be, it stresses other components less. It requires less electricity and stresses PSU less. It is slower so it stresses CPU less. It does support PCIe gen4 so it stresses MB less aso.

Could be that PC case has powerbutton or reset button, which makes a little contact, maybe only sometimes and causes issues.

Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, sounds like memory thing, but can be faulty electronics too. Why weaker GPU fixes it, maybe motherboard is broken and doesn't work with gen 4 gpu.

Have you tried disabling smart access memory. RX uses it, 1050 doesnt.

Thanks for the reply!

"Could be temperature difference causing or fixing contact issue on solder, could be capasitor issue, could be different kind of power spike needed when starting than when running, or something else."

I don't understand you

"Kind of difficult if you don't have (or someone you know has) compatible parts you can test with, but usually by removing everything you can and try if it works then. Also if it starts at all, lowering clocks, giving more voltage, trying with one memory stick at time aso."

Unfortunately, I am not able to test the components separately. I tried to work with one memory bar separately, the results are the same.

"The reason machine works with weaker GPU could be, it stresses other components less. It requires less electricity and stresses PSU less. It is slower so it stresses CPU less. It does support PCIe gen4 so it stresses MB less aso."

Understood.

"Could be that PC case has powerbutton or reset button, which makes a little contact, maybe only sometimes and causes issues."

Checked. It's all right.

"Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, sounds like memory thing, but can be faulty electronics too. Why weaker GPU fixes it, maybe motherboard is broken and doesn't work with gen 4 gpu."

I also had these thoughts. Glad to hear them from someone else.

"Have you tried disabling smart access memory. RX uses it, 1050 doesnt."

It's interesting that you asked about this. The "smart access memory" function does not work on my system. This is indicated by GPU-Z. All the necessary settings in the BIOS are activated, but this function does not work. Perhaps because the card does not work in PCI E 4.0 mode ???

I said earlier that the system started to start more often when I updated the bios. So it was the same on the old bios, but I had to change the parameter in the bios port "PCI E - auto" to "PCI E- 3.0" manually.

0 Likes

"I don't understand you"

It can be defective but still work under some conditions, but this situation sounds like it's not PSU due to SAM and gen 4 issues.

Can't recall anymore if you had cleared cmos. Do that if haven't. It is a different thing than setting bios to default.

"I had to change the parameter in the bios port "PCI E - auto" to "PCI E- 3.0" manually."

And doesn't work if you manually set PCIe 4.0? Could be GPU firmware issue. You could contact Powercolor (if they have an update for firmware or if they want you to send it there if they know this has been an issue for some people).

I don't know how things work there, but you should have like a 3-year warranty and the store should help you to get your machine running. If GPU has been replaced, it likely motherboard or CPU. Maybe they could test those if you contact them.

If these don't work or are not possible, I'd replace motherboard. You could look for used parts if availability is ok where you live as many are now upgrading. I have never had issues with Asus boards. If money isn't tight, get something like TUF-series, if budget is tight, pretty much anything goes as running a 6-core CPU is not demanding for VRM.

There is a tiny chance broken CPU can damage motherboard. Very unlikely, but due to very problematic case, I once ended up buying a new motherboard and a new CPU. Got another brand of motherboard and because seemed like a waste of money to get the same CPU, got one much more powerfull to get at least something out of it. This was a long long time a go.

EDIT: Also what elstaci says down there. Didn't notice his answer before.

"Can't recall anymore if you had cleared cmos. Do that if haven't. It is a different thing than setting bios to default."

Emmm... nope. Pressed F10 and selected "set default settings". Then i updated the BIOS and clicked "set default settings" again. Isn't that the same thing?

"I don't know how things work there, but you should have like a 3-year warranty and the store should help you to get your machine running. If GPU has been replaced, it likely motherboard or CPU. Maybe they could test those if you contact them."

I just can't give them a PC for tests right now. It takes us 45 days. No one is in a hurry. A PC is needed for everyday work.

"If these don't work or are not possible, I'd replace motherboard. You could look for used parts if availability is ok where you live as many are now upgrading. I have never had issues with Asus boards. If money isn't tight, get something like TUF-series, if budget is tight, pretty much anything goes as running a 6-core CPU is not demanding for VRM."

Do you think the problem is most likely in the motherboard? I'm an Asus fan... I don't know why I bought Gigabyte this time.
I came here because logically I thought that the processor was not working correctly. I read reviews on the internet and was surprised how many people have problems with the Ryzen 5600x.

0 Likes

"updated the BIOS and clicked "set default settings" again. Isn't that the same thing?"
nope

"It takes us 45 days. No one is in a hurry. A PC is needed for everyday work."
Recommended option in such situation is to have more than one machine - cheaper ones if that is the limiting factor.

"Do you think the problem is most likely in the motherboard?" 

i would say there is a good chance it is. It is not exactly reliable nor easy to diagnose something without being able to work with it.

"I read reviews on the internet and was surprised how many people have problems with the Ryzen 5600x."

I see your point, but have you found posts which point to actual cause? 5600X are sold widely and by far most of them work just fine. Same thing goes to most GPU's and other hardware. It's not like AMD, Intel or Nvidia didn't test their hardware and these things are sold by... hundreds of thousands, millions? Some have issues always, but when is it systematic and when it is user error, some weird combinations of hardware or software aso. is... tough question

0 Likes

Besides what others have mentioned it is possible you are having PSU issues. According to AMD the minimum PSU required is a 650 Watt PSU.

Try downloading OCCT and run its PSU Test to check how your PSU runs under extreme load. Check to make sure all PSU output are all within 5% tolerances.

The Ryzen 5600X is low wattage processor with 65 watt TDP. But in Tom's Hardware testing the processor using HandBrake power is using a maximum 74 watts of power.

While the peak power usage for the RX 6700XT is 230 watts: https://www.techreviewer.com/best-tech/amd-rx-6700-xt-gpu-power-supply/

From the link above it shows the power usage with a Mid-Tier CPU:

Screenshot 2022-10-23 190304.png

NOTE: You need to take in account Power Spikes from the GPU or CPU to account for the higher PSU wattage.

Hello! Thanks for the reply!

I understood. 

"Try downloading OCCT and run its PSU Test to check how your PSU runs under extreme load."

I have already conducted testing. It's all right. The system does not consume more than 400W. and behaves stably. The problem is with the start of the system only  

The PC can turn on normally for a week without any problems, or it can start only the fifth time in a day. The problem is of a floating nature. I forgot to mention, if the computer does not turn on, then I hear from the coolers how the PC is cyclically rebooting.
The first thing that was under suspicion was RAM. That he can't find the right parameters to start, BUT then why does everything work fine with a simple video card? And problems with the SSD disk appear only after installing the RX6700XT, which cannot start on PCIE 4.0. All this device works on a direct bus with the processor.

Alex34
Adept II

Guys, please help

0 Likes

So from I understand whenever you have the PowerColor GPU card installed is when you have all the issues about booting up intermittently.

Another User also opened a thread about his AMD 6000 series GPU card not using 4.0 but rather 3.0 PCIex16.

In your case it seems your PowerColor GPU card needs to be RMA to be checked to see if it is defective.

I would open a PowerColor Support ticket and link this thread that you opened to show everything you have done including the only time you have issues booting up is with the AMD GPU card but not with the Nvidia GPU card.

The only thing I can think that might cause your intermittent booting issues if the GPU card has a intermittent short when power is first applied when cold or something of that nature.

The GPU PCIe Power cable is connected tightly and not loose in any ways.

By the way, I downloaded your Manual and I don't see Trouble LEDs on it (CPU,DRAM,GPU, SYSTEM). Do you have a PC Speaker connected directly to the Motherboard or are you using regular PC speakers?

I believe you need to have a PC Speaker connected to hear the Beep Sequences when Booting up.

From your Manual about hooking up a PC Speaker is you don't have one installed:

Screenshot 2022-10-23 190304.png

I read that you said there are no beeps (if using a PC Speaker) or anything of that nature to tell you what is wrong. Since the first slot on the motherboard and M.2 is controlled by the CPU it is possible if the GPU card is causing a short to the CPU that will affect the M.2 slot also.

"So from I understand whenever you have the PowerColor GPU card installed is when you have all the issues about booting up intermittently."

Right. There was no start at all with this video card. I sent the card to the service. It was the first 6700xt. She was found defective and I was given a new one. I installed a new card and the start did not happen again. I removed 6700xt, installed 1050 and changed the PCIE mode in the bios to 3.0 instead of Auto. I returned 6700xt and the system started up. After that, I updated the bios twice and I no longer needed to set the PCIE to 3.0 mode. Now the card always works in 3.0 mode, it doesn't matter which mode I set in bios 3.0/4.0/auto, it doesn't matter. But now with this card I have problems with periodic system loading. The PC may turn on normally for a week, or it may not turn on 10 times in a row in one day. I press the power button, I hear the coolers working, but there is no image. By the noise of the coolers, I can hear a cyclic reboot.

PS: In fact, I think now that the first card was also working. It was found defective and stolen. Then resold. This is a normal practice in our services. Believe me.

"The only thing I can think that might cause your intermittent booting issues if the GPU card has a intermittent short when power is first applied when cold or something of that nature."

Do you still think that the problem is in the card? But this is the second card, a new one. Can there really be such a large percentage of defects in PowerColor? The Red Devil series is considered premium. In any case, after moving to a new place of residence, I can't find a warranty card for 6700xt. Sad.

"The GPU PCIe Power cable is connected tightly and not loose in any ways."

Yes. Rechecked.

"By the way, I downloaded your Manual and I don't see Trouble LEDs on it (CPU,DRAM,GPU, SYSTEM). Do you have a PC Speaker connected directly to the Motherboard or are you using regular PC speakers?

I believe you need to have a PC Speaker connected to hear the Beep Sequences when Booting up."

Yes. Small speaker connected to the motherboard according to manual. When the PC cannot turn on and there is a cyclic reboot, the speaker is silent. There are no signals of memory or video card malfunction.

I have been googling POST Reboots and the most common thing that is mentioned is RAM or PSU.

What is confusing is that you say that with the Nvidia GPU card everything works normally. No reboots but as soon as you install the AMD GPU card you start having POST cycling with no beeps.

From my understanding of POST,  lets say the RAM isn't configure correctly or has a defective RAM stick, when BIOS checks the RAM and sees something wrong it automatically restarts POST and sets RAM back to default to get the RAM to work properly. 

But since everything works fine with the Nvidia GPU card than it isn't a RAM Issue otherwise the same thing would happen no matter what GPU card you have installed.

Now you mentioned with the Nvidia GPU card everything works fine. From what I read the GX1050TI requires a minimum of 300 Watt PSU according to Nvidia Specs. So it isn't as power hungry as the RX 6700XT which AMD recommends a 650 Watt minimum PSU.

So it is possible with the AMD GPU card installed intermittently draws more power at start up than your PSU can supply thus rebooting occurs. It happens so fast that there is no Beeps.

This is just taking a guesstimate since the only difference is the GPU card that is installed. One, Nvidia,  requires less powerful PSU and the other, AMD, requires more powerful PSU.

I don't know if you can borrow another PSU to test or simply test your AMD GPU card on another computer with a stronger PSU and see if everything works normally.

"What is confusing is that you say that with the Nvidia GPU card everything works normally. No reboots but as soon as you install the AMD GPU card you start having POST cycling with no beeps."

Yep.

"From my understanding of POST,  lets say the RAM isn't configure correctly or has a defective RAM stick, when BIOS checks the RAM and sees something wrong it automatically restarts POST and sets RAM back to default to get the RAM to work properly. "

Yep. I agree. Therefore, I disabled XMP and tried to run a PC with one module.

"But since everything works fine with the Nvidia GPU card than it isn't a RAM Issue otherwise the same thing would happen no matter what GPU card you have installed."

Yep. I agree.

"Now you mentioned with the Nvidia GPU card everything works fine. From what I read the GX1050TI requires a minimum of 300 Watt PSU according to Nvidia Specs. So it isn't as power hungry as the RX 6700XT which AMD recommends a 650 Watt minimum PSU.

So it is possible with the AMD GPU card installed intermittently draws more power at start up than your PSU can supply thus rebooting occurs. It happens so fast that there is no Beeps."

I doubt that the video adapter can consume a lot of power at the start. It is mainly consumed under load. The power supply can be checked by giving it a long load. He passes such tests together with the 6700 XT.

"This is just taking a guesstimate since the only difference is the GPU card that is installed. One, Nvidia,  requires less powerful PSU and the other, AMD, requires more powerful PSU.

I don't know if you can borrow another PSU to test or simply test your AMD GPU card on another computer with a stronger PSU and see if everything works normally."

Unfortunately not. I don't have access to other components.

I am confused by the fact that the 6700XT does not want to work in PCIE 4.0 mode. And on the old bios, the PC did not turn on at all if PCIE 3.0 was not set in the bios. This bus goes directly to the processor. Does a cyclic reboot look like a selection of parameters to start? That is why, after a successful start, the PC passes all the tests. Long-term tests. For some reason it seems to me that the problem is either in the MB or in the CPU.

I wrote to PowerColor support and gave them a link to this thread.

Maybe I can play around with the parameters in the bios to identify the weak link of the PC? Maybe there are some tricks?

Sounds like you have a plan.

I would also open a Motherboard Support just to get their input if nothing else.

Found this Tech site the reviews PowerColor GPUs - https://www.thetechwire.com/is-powercolor-good/ It mentions that your GPU might have a Dual BIOS switch. One for OC and the other for Silent.

If you GPU card does have this BIOS Switch and it is set for OC try changing it to Silent and see if that helps your situation any.

EDIT: If it was a defective Mobo or CPU you would think you would have the same problems no matter which GPU card you have installed.

Why would the Mobo or CPU only act up with the AMD GPU card installed? just my opinion.

"Sounds like you have a plan."

Nope )

"I would also open a Motherboard Support just to get their input if nothing else."

Hmm.. Good idea!

"EDIT: If it was a defective Mobo or CPU you would think you would have the same problems no matter which GPU card you have installed.

Why would the Mobo or CPU only act up with the AMD GPU card installed? just my opinion."

I don't know. Because im here )

"Found this Tech site the reviews PowerColor GPUs - https://www.thetechwire.com/is-powercolor-good/ It mentions that your GPU might have a Dual BIOS switch. One for OC and the other for Silent."

Honestly, I didn't notice the difference.
Thanks.

It was just a stab since OC requires more power usage than Silence.

Anyways if you should find out the fix please post it back here again.  Otherwise I am out of suggestions.

Since your problems occurs during POST that means there are no drivers, beside BIOS itself, involved. Just hardware mainly.

0 Likes

Ok, Thank you, any way! Have a nice day!

0 Likes

Received a response from PowerColor:

"Please clean the graphic card’s gold finger and motherboard’s PCI-E slot then enter windows safe mode, use DDU, and re-install the Recommended(WHQL) driver vision.
make sure the graphic card seats correctly, also try re-install the graphic card in different PCI-E slot.
The Minimum System Power requirement for AXRX 6700 XT 12GBD6-3DHE/OC is 700W, we suggest user another PSU in 800W+ and re-try.
If the issue persists, please contact original reseller and start RMA process.
Thanks for your inquiry from PowerColor website."

Hello.

Thank you all!

0 Likes
Alex34
Adept II

Hello.

Thank you all!

Thanks for the update.

So it was a defective Motherboard.

Mark you last reply as "Solution" so other will know what your fix was.

rtttv
Journeyman III

I have the same board and processor and there is also no image when I turn it on for the last few months, I turn it on and off 5-15 times and press the power buttons for the monitor and PC at the same time, so the chance to turn it on is higher. If you only turn on the PC, you can do this endlessly. and my warranty on the board has expired. what could be the problem?

0 Likes