Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Conthor
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5600x running a lot hotter all of a sudden

Hi!

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 5600x that was running beautifully until about a week ago. When idling, the temps would go up to 30-40°C, and wouldn't go over 70°C under load. Since recently, the idle temps would be around 60°C, and would go up to 70-80°C under load.

2 things happened at around that time:

• I changed my CPU cooler from LC Power LC-CC-120 to Thermaltake Toughair 510 (I wanted less noise);
  • A windows update happened.

I would like to note that I changed the cooler first, after which my temps were even better than with the LC-CC-120 and significantly less noise. Then the Windows update happened, and that's when I noticed the temp increase (and noise, to compensate for the temps).

I removed my CPU cooler, cleaned everything, reapplied the thermal paste - no luck.

Did anyone experience anything similar, and did you manage to sort it out somehow? I did some digging and did find out that a certain process - Razer Central Service (32 bit) gobbles up easy 10-20% of the CPU usage, while ALL other apps are in the <1% range. I did find a Reddit post where people reported the same issue that started around the same time.

Just wanted to check here if anyone else encountered this issue, and whether you managed to fix it.

Thanks!

My build:

Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE V2 (rev. 1.0)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT

RAM: KINGSTON FURY Renegade 16GB DDR4, 3200MHz, CL16, KF432C16RBK2/16

PSU: Antec NeoECO GOLD ZEN 700 - NE700G

0 Likes
4 Replies

Uninstall the last Windows update and see if temps go back to normal. If it doesn't then let Windows update install the update again.

If it does use this MS Hide/Unhide Windows Update tool to hide that update for the time being: Microsoft Hide/Unhide App from Major Geeks 

NOTE: You can try adding a second fan to your CPU Cooler in a Push-Pull configuration for better cooling and more air circulation inside your PC.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

picture of case and fans? any difference in room temperature recently? increase fans rpm.

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

I would probably start with checking Task Manager to see, there are no processes stuck to running at high CPU usage, like a stuck Windows update.

Then check all the screws of CPU cooler are still tight and wont tighten further. While inside case, check that both fans are running and which fan connectors did you use.

Then try what @elstaci said about update

Then go to BIOS and increase fan speed of both fans until they become noticeable. The faster the fan runs at low CPU usage, the more seldom and less it ramps under stress, especially in gaming loads which are not that heavy. Also it is easier for ears to have constant static noise than no noise, fan noise, no noise, fan noise when temperature pumps up and down and so does fan speed.

Did you use some software in Windows to control fan speed? Windows update might have over run it and you need to reinstall that software. I would avoid those though an just use BIOS. There is also a change, you are getting wrong numbers. Some recommend using Ryzen Master (maybe reinstall after Windows update), I prefer HWINFO64.

misterj
Big Boss

Conthor. Please post screenshots of RM both Basic and Advanced views running Cinebench R23, only RM images. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes