Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Babababe
Adept I

Ryzen 5600x not posting

Hello,

I already issued an RMA for the processor but here is my story.

I first installed my Ryzen 5600x on a b550 Asus rog strix A gaming

• Trident Z 3200 cl14 2x8gb 
  • Seasonic focus gx 750w gold
  • rtx 3080FE

After switching slots with one ram and flashing bios I eventually got a signal to see something about bios recovery please restart then no signal, either dram led or cpu led stays lit with one stick in the nearest slot to the cpu. After many many attempts I sent back the motherboard thinking the ddr slots were faulty.

Then I told myself, if it's the cpu as it might well be, let take a ryzen 5000 ready motherboard, that has a ccmos button, an on-board power button, and a 2 digit debug code screen. I chose an MSI b550 Unify X board.

Full of hope I directly put the 2 dimm modules on board and then...

no signal, dram led lit. But now I have the debug code right?

• first code I've seen is 1bPre-memory PCH initialization (PCH module specific) with the two dimm

Then with one dimm (I ccmos after each hardware modification) on the first slot, still no signal but now cpu led lit

• second code b6Clean-up of NVRAM

The motherboard manual says to ccmos and then

• third code 9a: USB initialization is started

After trying again I went back to 1b error code... still cpu led, no more dram led when 1 ram stick one the first slot.

At this point I decided to RMA the processor. Here is my ticket number 8201060891.

I didn't want to update the bios because the board is 5000 ready and it should post without update.

I ordered another ddr4 kit to be sure it's not my trident z at fault but I don't think the two modules are faulty that would be crazy... I tryed both modules in the first slot by the way.

I really think there is something wrong with the cpu.

Thanks for the help,

Babababe.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Ok problem solved problem was the ddr trident z cas 14 I don't know if it's faulty or just not compatible.

I put a kit on the motherboard qvl list and it's working.

The gskill modules were advertized as compatible with the board so maybe both sticks are faulty who knows I'm gonna have to check...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Without knowing the make/model of the board, you may need a newer BIOS, one beyond Patch "C". The main thing is the RAM needs to be in the second slot form the CPU and the 4th slot for the second stick on nearly every board or it will not post in a 2 stick config. So the RAM needs to be in slots A2/B2 or not the slot directly next to the CPU, one to the right, skip one and put the other stick in. I hope I'm being clear enough. See my photo of mine with 2 sticks.20200815_181611 (2).jpg

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

the board only have 2 dimm slots.

But on the previous board only the first slot was able to work a little i saw others having the same issue and the replacement of cpu worked. 

I will try the new kit of ram then if it still doesn't work I may update the bios but it says 5000 ready so it should post without an update. update to improve stability ok but to post it should be ok i think. 

we'll see

0 Likes

Ok problem solved problem was the ddr trident z cas 14 I don't know if it's faulty or just not compatible.

I put a kit on the motherboard qvl list and it's working.

The gskill modules were advertized as compatible with the board so maybe both sticks are faulty who knows I'm gonna have to check...

0 Likes

I missed where you switched to the MSI.  But glad you fixed it. All 4 slot boards, you must use the 2nd and 4th slots for only 2 sticks of RAM, future reference. 2 slots, is 2 slots, should be the 1st slot if 1 stick but some still say use the 2nd slot for 1 stick operation. 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes