Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mspoller
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5600x Never hits 4.6ghz

Hello,

I was lucky enough to score a 5600x and after doing some benchmarks with both 3D Mark and R23 Cinebench, my CPU never hits 4.6ghz.  It always hovers around 4.1ghz.  On R23 single core it peaked at around 4.4ghz.  I'm pretty frustrated because it should be able to easily hit the advertised boost speed, correct?  This was with PBO enabled using Ryzen Master.  I'm running:

CPU: 5600x

Motherboard: MSI Gaming Edge Plus Wifi (Most up to date bios)

GPU: RTX 3080

32 GB 3200mhz ram running at 3200mhz using XMP.

Corsair rxm 850w Gold PSU

I saw another post about this and didn't see a solid answer.  Has anyone else been having these problems?  If so did you find a fix?  Is it a motherboard issue?  A cpu issue that needs to be RMA'd? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
10 Replies
sciony
Adept I

I think its more important about the cooling solution aswell.

AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | Asus Prime X670-P | Sapphire RX5700 XT Nitro+ | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30
goosethesecond
Adept III

@mspoller wrote:

Hello,

I was lucky enough to score a 5600x and after doing some benchmarks with both 3D Mark and R23 Cinebench, my CPU never hits 4.6ghz.  It always hovers around 4.1ghz.  On R23 single core it peaked at around 4.4ghz.  I'm pretty frustrated because it should be able to easily hit the advertised boost speed, correct?  This was with PBO enabled using Ryzen Master.  I'm running:

CPU: 5600x

Motherboard: MSI Gaming Edge Plus Wifi (Most up to date bios)

GPU: RTX 3080

32 GB 3200mhz ram running at 3200mhz using XMP.

Corsair rxm 850w Gold PSU

I saw another post about this and didn't see a solid answer.  Has anyone else been having these problems?  If so did you find a fix?  Is it a motherboard issue?  A cpu issue that needs to be RMA'd? 

Thanks!

What type of cooler are you using? AMD processors are very tight and meticulous about power/speed management depending on temperatures.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler meaning it idles between 45-55 and goes up to 85-89 at full load with an average of 65 when at medium load. Because of this, I also don't reach maximum boost ALL THE TIME and it's been why I'm super close to purchasing an AIO cooler to get some better temps.

0 Likes

What speed does it reach on CPU-Z stress and/or aida64.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

@goodplay wrote:

What speed does it reach on CPU-Z stress and/or aida64.

That Hyper 212 Black is just a large heatsink with two fans on it right?

Can you open Ryzen Master and give me a summary of your temps when you idle, when you browse/watch videos, and when you game?

I'm still thinking this has to do with temps. These processors need to be fairly cooled at full load which I'd say should be below 70 to be able to reach full boost clock and stay there. ALSO, motherboard VRMs may affect this. I'm going to look up your mobo model and see if it has a nice VRM to supply clean and consistent power to the CPU.

EDIT: Okay just read a nice review here: https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/gigabyte_b550_aorus_pro_review/17

Your board is actually ONE OF THE BEST for VRM power management for Ryzen CPUs and they were able to get 4.4GHz across all cores on a 3900X so your mobo isn't the issue for sure haha. Also they used a Corsair H150i AIO cooler on their test setup so I'd say just get an AIO man. 

0 Likes

@goosethesecond 

Just one fan on the cooler (+ 5 case fans).

Idle temps. 28-31, max temps 64-71.

'Cool & Quiet' disabled in bios.

Still waiting on OP to post his stress test speeds, if they're not hitting the mark on those then somethings wrong.  

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

@goodplay wrote:

@goosethesecond 

Just one fan on the cooler (+ 5 case fans).

Idle temps. 28-31, max temps 64-71.

'Cool & Quiet' disabled in bios.

Still waiting on OP to post his stress test speeds, if they're not hitting the mark on those then somethings wrong.  

I just realized that your system specs are part of your signature. I got you confused for OP for a second haha. So I still need to know what cooling solution OP is using. 

I'm positive he just needs to get a nice AIO. My 3600 usually reaches the max boost clock easily but once it gets over 70-75 C it can only hover between 3.9-4.1 with 3950 being the average "consistent" clock.

Sounds good to me buddy. Send me a pm !

0 Likes
xesap58662
Adept II

I hit 4850mhz

gigabyte x570 pro v1.1 with 5600x

low tier air cooler thats 15 years old and rusted

0 Likes
marko_kruz
Journeyman III

I have more less the same issue with my Ryzen 5 5600x. Testing with Ryzen Master application it shows 4460 MHz in the highest peak and 4400 MHz average in Default Control Mode.  In Auto OC mode it only shows 4550 in the highest peak when in maximum clock speed is 4700 MHz. The temperature never rises the 57 C in Default control mode.

I'm using the Noctua NHD15 with only one fan connected and I am connecting the 8-pin power plug only.

The rest of my PC specs are:

MOBO: Rog strix X570-e, RAM: 16 GB RAM, Storag: 1 TB SSD NVMe, GPU: RX 6900 XT, PSU: P850GM.

As far as I know, I dont have any overclocking settings.

Any guidance in what to check?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes

I just built my pc with 5600X and x570 chipset (asus x570 e gaming) and want to know how to get the clock to fluctate?

says max freqency in EUFI is 4000mhz.

tried PBO but still stays at 4000 all the time.

havent tried any games yet as havent had a chance to DL any as just finished build yesterday!

also I have DOCP on so ram is running at 3600mhz CL18.

Thanks for your help. ( sorry to hijack thread!)

0 Likes