cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

angeh
Adept I

ryzen 5600x high temps?

cpuz motherboard.PNGhi guys i recently build my first amd pc, and i got the ryzen 5600x, but i noticed while gaming that the cpu gets a bit if not very hot which is concerning me, and perhaps i shouldnt i dont know AMD in terms of heat so im here wondering.

i have tested on games like apex legends, star wars battlefront 2 ea and the load temps are around 60ish to 70c , with spikes of 79c which i got today .

during iddle is fine usually on 40ish if im really doing nothing with nothing open.

i have not oced, i tried to undervolt my cpu to 1.25 and put the core on 4.5 but i didnt liked it because it was setting all the cores right away on that speed, all the time and i just wanted to lower the temps, so i went back to bios and put on default options.

so im currently running "on stock"

my system is:

ryzen 5600x

cpu cooler, cooler master hyper 212 black edition

motherboard gigabyte aorus elite b550m

ram xpg 2x8 3200

gtx 980non ti

evga 500w 80white plus

1 ssd 500gb

1 HDD 1tb

case cooler master elite 430 black

maybe someone can put an ease to my concern.

13 Replies
Hannibal0098
Journeyman III

Have a similar cooler: Hyper 212 ARGB. I'm getting the same temps as you are on default stocks. Should be fine. I've made several profiles and undervolted my CPU.

0 Likes

Hello thanks for the reply, now I have another situation with a similar but a little different system.

My PC brother has the same component minus the GPU and the PSU those are different, and I noticed how during idle his temps never lowered from 45c and I'm not sure if this has to do with the recent bios that is installed in his system which is the f13 for the aorus elite b550m.

I tested for 30 min on cinebench 23 and the max temp reached was 72 but the average during the test was 70/71.

He has a Rx 570 4g gaming from gigabyte and a xpg pylon 750w bronze PSU.

And what I found odd from this is that my system is cooler than his during idle I can reach to have 38c while his is always on 45 pretty much.

Both systems are using pbo curve optimizer -25 on all cores and even in stock the story is the same.

Coule it be a bad contact on the cooler ? Or perhaps his PSU is doing something different from mine ?

0 Likes
darkrabbit
Adept I

You should try this: https://www.arctic.de/en/Liquid-Freezer-II-420/ACFRE00092A

I did for my 5900x. From like 83c - to 60c while playing Warzone @ 1440p.

37-39c while doing nothing but serching internet and listen to music.

0 Likes

Should that be the solution to this though ? Just saying we both have similar systems but I'm getting better cooling during idle than he does for some odd reason.

0 Likes

Spoiler
It could be the GPU blowing hot air into the CPU cooler (you mentioned you have different GPU right?). This currently happens to my system. As long as it doesn't reach high 90's all the time (like a laptop), it should be fine. Mid 80's are still considered normal temps. Don't underestimate the build quality of the chips.

0 Likes

You are correct my system has a GTX 980 which is the blower type so instead of throwing the hot air into the cpu it goes to the rear of the gpu, good point there.

While his Rx 570 has two fans instead, so I'm guessing the air goes up instead.

So I shouldn't worry that his idle temps are 45c or so ? I event reseated the cooler today btw but man this cooler is so scaring to handle because when Ur trying to fit the screws they move a bit such an annoying cooler tbh.

0 Likes

Look, Here is the easy and direct method.

First understand that AMD allows these things to run like wild horses, as long as it stays under temp, under power, and under its current settings.

Temp is the easy one:   They let it run up to 90C.    

Power (PPT) : They set at 140W.

Then you have Current:   Which I like to think of as a package of goods that can be dished out to the various cores.

EDC (XXXA):  is the amount of current they will dish out as long as you are under the specified temp.

However, if you are running Hot(over the specified limit),  then they will only dish out TDC(XXXA) amount of current.

========

I have found that if you turn off Core Performance Boost your system will run a lot cooler (like maybe 30C cooler).  However that comes with a big performance hit.   So don't turn it off, and leave PBO on as well.

Here is what I suggest.

1.  Bring up Ryzen Master and note the Max Temp, PPT, TDC, and EDC.   (I don't know if my CPU has the same values as U)

2. Set everything to Auto

3.  Keep Core Performance Boost as Enabled

4.  Set PBO as Advanced

5.  Set PBO Limits to Manual

6.  Type in the PPT, TDC, and EDC values you recorded  ( I liked to reduce my PPT by 10 watts, but you do you)

7. For Thermal Throttle Limit type in Manual

8.  For the Next entry that now also says "Thermal Throttle Limit"   Type in the Temp you don't want the cpu to exceed.

I found that the CPU does a tremendous job of regulating,  Multiplier Frequency, # cores dispatched,  Hyperthreading, and even the voltage to keep within the prescribed temperature limits.  And you don't lose much performance at all (maybe 1%). It is really that easy and it works that well.  Try it.

So I use Ryzen master just to take note of the values if ppt, EDC and TDC then I go to the bios and set those in as the pbo manual limits , and on the thermal throttling manual say 75c.

But if I do this should I leave on auto pbo curve optimizer as default?

Edit: I ask this because I did set the pbo curve optimizer on all cores with a -30

0 Likes

You can use PBO curve optimizer, if you like or not.

But using the Throttle Temp Limit was to keep temps under control.

Using almost any other BIOS tuning parameter can be used in conjunction with the Temp throttle.

Once I got the temp under control, I just kept an eye on VCore.

I trimmed a few Watts from my PPT setting because VCore was spiking into uncomfortable levels.

(I am currently evaluating if trimming PPT was the right thing to do to pull back VCore)

(or maybe I should have done a slight negative offset)

But I am running very stable, and Cool right now.

I will come to a conclusion with a little more time.

sounds good, yeah i did the curve optimizer -20.

i also did thee thermal throtle to 75c, should be fine when its under load now, im still not okay with these temps under idle though, having 45c or so on his system, while mine is around 38 to 40 almost all the time on idle its just so weird, not to mention im not spiking that much as he does.

could it be also that he has 4 rgb case fans ? that shouldnt have to do anything wiht it though right?

also the cpu power cable molex 4+4 or 8 idk how to call it, its using the secondary one instead of the primary as source, why ? because he wanted to use the one that has better reach so it looks better on his pc i guess, could this also be a motive ? doubtful though.

https://imgur.com/a/YTEhTFz 

edit 2: im gonna add pictures of his system and mine also bios config just incase, im doing this because it just makes no sense for it to have this kind of difference in temps even on bios, i mean 6 to 7c difference should say something dont you agree?

i can only think that either the cpu cooler has too much thermal paste , not doing good contact (which i made sure to do this right but i just dont know anymore) but on load the temps never go beyond 73 if anything average around 71/70c on cinebench23 30 min run.

my pc and my brother with bios included 

0 Likes

Or this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tii1sNcfQ0

From 1min 13sek the configurations start.

Yeah I think is what the other person meant, no? The only difference is that he didn't set the pbo limits to manual instead he set it to his motherboard and also what I said about curve optimizer, he didn't touched it at all so it's default.

Also one more thing I'll like to know: is using curve optimizer a bad choice in general ? Mainly for undervolting.

0 Likes

these are the readings during a cinebench 30 min ran multi not single

and the readings after cinebench and on idle, let me know if everything seems okay to you

cinebench30min.PNG

tempsduringidle.PNG

https://valid.x86.fr/80a0y3

0 Likes