cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

irenenancy
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 with Radeon graphics; video cycles through blank green screen, noise/static and distorted colors.

This is a new build. The graphics work fine for an hour or two before going haywire. The messed up screen cycle repeats every 3 seconds or so. A reboot doesn't help, but the graphics are normal for awhile after being turned off over night. I don't know whether to blame this on the processor or the mother board. ROG STRIX B450 MB.

3 Replies
gnoll
Adept II

Hi irenenancy‌,

Could you add some more information about your build? you can find a list of useful information you could add here: INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION 

Some more specific questions about your situation:

1. When the computer goes into a reboot cycle, can you try to turn it off, unplug it from power, wait 10 seconds and plug it on again? after this, does the computer boots normally or does it show the issue straight away?
  2. Are you able to access the BIOS of your computer? if so, does the issue happen as well when you are in the bios?
  3. On your motherboard you should have a LED that lights up on boot, can you write which is the last light you see after the reboot? 

In the meantime, I would suggest doing this:

1. Make sure that your ram and CPU are seated correctly, try to reseat them.
  2. If you have more than one bank of ram, try to remove all but one bank of ram and try to use the computer. If the issue persists, replace the single bank with another bank of ram (As you are using integrated graphics, it will use part of your RAM as video memory).
  3. If you have access to another computer with an AM4 motherboard you could try to test the CPU on another computer and see if this happens there.

Good luck,

Emanuele

irenenancy
Journeyman III

Thank you, Emanuele, for your reply. I also contacted ASUS, and they assured me my problem was not with the processor, but their motherboard. They gave me an RMA to return it. I'll know in the future how to present my questions.  Irene

Hi Irene,

You are very welcome, I am glad you confirmed the issue with ASUS.

I wish you a quick and easy RMA

Emanuele

0 Likes