Hello,

I need some help please.

I've got an Alienware pc build with:

Ryzen 5 5600x 

Nvidia RTX 3070

16 GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3466Mhz

Alienware 0CPDXD Motherboard

256GB Hynix SSD

Now I got a 1x 16GB DDR4 RAM stick clocked at 3466Mhz. Prior to this I had a 8GB DDR4 RAM stick clocked at 3200Mhz (I've got rid of this now). In task manager the RAM speed was always stuck at 2667Mhz. I was wondering why I was never able to get the clock speed at 3200Mhz considering the CPU can support it. On the AMD website, the CPU has memory upto 3200Mhz. In this forum I read that someone was able to get higher speeds than what the CPU was capable of doing so I'm not sure how reliable that information is. 

Earlier on today I tried tweaking with the BIOS, Enabled XMP and set the memory to 3200Mhz. My PC refused to boot and I had to remove the cell and reset the BIOS. I tried this again at 3000Mhz and it failed to boot. Would anyone be kind enough to let me know what I am doing wrong or what I can do to get the speeds at least to 3200Mhz. 

I also have another 16 GB Kingston Fury @3466Mhz RAM stick coming in a few days time. I'm not sure if two RAM sticks would allow me to get the minimum 3200Mhz Speed.

Many Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
ThreeDee
Paragon

for XMP/DOCP to work, you need 2 sticks of matching RAM installed in slots A2/B2 IF you are running a motherboard with 4 memory slots (2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU socket)

ThreeDee PC specs

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

for XMP/DOCP to work, you need 2 sticks of matching RAM installed in slots A2/B2 IF you are running a motherboard with 4 memory slots (2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU socket)

ThreeDee PC specs

I'm sorry but I could use 3200 (DOCP) on a single corsair stick.

The Englishman
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

You are not doing anything wrong but pre-builts are messy to upgrade, I'm pretty sure that computer has a Dell proprietary board and if I have to bet, no QVL listing is available. 

It means: You just don't know which memory sticks have been validated /tested or if they work at advertised speed.

All you have left is try to tweak them by yourself, if your board BIOS allows it.

FIRST OF ALL
Check if the board has a manual of how to insert the memory sticks, normally, you should start on the farthest away from the CPU. Since you only have one, use that.

Then, do not use the XMP profile.

Set manually the speed to 3200 and check if you have something like, DRAM voltage or VDD voltage or VDDQ voltage. Set them at 1.35v

Continue looking, you should have a set of 4 timings.

DRAM CAS#Latency 
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 
DRAM RAS# PRE Time 
DRAM RAS# ACT Time 

Now, get the memory box and the timings should be there, or browse the internet for the exact model.
Add +1 for the first 3 timings and +4 to the last.
EG: if it is: 16-18-18-36 do something like 17-19-19-40

This is called, loosening the timings just to check if they can provide stability to the system while maintaining the speed setting.

You don't need (normally) to remove the battery, the computer will or should loop after several boot attempts, back to BIOS.

If it fails, then reduce the speed to 3000.

If it keeps failing, then I would ask for Dell Support on this.

LASTLY
XMP is considered overclocking and that voids the warranty, do this at your own risk ; - )

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes
CreeD27
Journeyman III

Hello can i ask what is the best timing and frequency for 5600x, b550 tomahawk and 4 stick for fury beast ddr4 8gb 3200mhz, part number "KF432C16BB/8. all of this ram stick bought in single but identical

0 Likes