cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

GordonFHL3
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 5600X not reaching max boost

My new Ryzen 5600X is not reaching max boost, only reaching 4.2GHz, is this normal behaviour?

My system:
Ryzen 5600X
16GB 3200MHz
EVGA 650 G5 Gold
Asus TUF Gaming B550-PLUS with 1202 BIOS (lastest stable)
Windows 10

24 Replies
SnakeEyes861
Journeyman III

I have the same issue, and the same motherboard. The only thing that disables the limit of 4.2GHz is enabling PBO in Ryzen Master but you have to do that with every boot. Enabling PBO in BIOS for some reason does nothing and the motherboard seems to be limiting the clock speed to 4.2 for some reason

What GPU are you running? 
What temps is the CPU hitting? 
Correct mounting pressure for heatsink?
Redo thermal paste? 
Try getting a better CPU cooler? 

0 Likes
RangerRobAZ
Adept II

Same problem for me with a gigabyte B550I aorus pro ax. Temperatures stay around 65C during cinebench single core runs. HWInfo shows clock speed never going above 4260MHz. I tried with various BIOS versions. The beta versions were maybe 50MHz faster than non beta (so I get 4260 instead of 4200). Multicore is even worse, I average just under 4000MHz.

I've seen a few other posts similar to this, likely we got defective CPUs. This assumes your CPU cooling is setup correctly.

What are your bios settings, my 5600x (not oc'd yet) getting 4650 all cores peak, 4599 usual gen. use max.

Max temp so far 71C.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I think the problem is with either AMD drivers or motherboard bios, rather than the CPU itself, since when I enable PBO in RM it does boost to 4.45GHz (PBO in BIOS doesnt work at all). The other problem is that my motherboard overclocks the CPU when I enable DOCP to 4.2 and it doesnt go above that number. I already wrote to ASUS asking for assistance with this problem and I'm waiting for a reply

I'm still on F11e (second bios for new Ryzen), they are now up to F11n (Betas ?) for my mobo.

While i'm stable i will keep reading various 'Overclockers' forums before i  update bios and venture into OC'ing myself.

Haven't unlocked OC in bios yet. Just a couple usual basic tweaks.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

I tried using default optimized settings with XMP enabled. I also have tried:

• PBO enabled, max settings (no change at all in performance)
  • Auto OC enabled
  • XMP disabled
  • 3 different Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX BIOS versions (F10,F11j,F11k, F11n-won't even boot. This one is odd because other people report F11n working well for them. I noticed the voltage on CPU in BIOS seems to be reading lower than other versions. I wonder if my defective CPU is causing this bios version to fail.)
  • reinstalling windows 10
  • installing latest B550 chipset drivers from AMD website
  • installing and using Ryzen master to 'max' OC/boost settings (no change)
  • Verifying cooling is fine (max around 65C during cinebench single core)
  • Manually setting CPU to 4300MHz and higher voltage (1.3-1.4v) in BIOS.. computer will not boot

I appreciate that you might assume this is a motherboard/BIOS/driver issue, which was my first thought of the 8 or so hours I tried to 'fix' the problem. However, in looking through various forum posts and seeing results from userbenchmark.com, this is not specific to any one motherboard. My CPU speed results are at extreme "minimum" end on userbenchmark.com for the 5600x. My average CPU speed of 4GHz is also bottom of the list of around 11,000 amd 5600x benchmarks reported). I've seen many having speeds of 4.6 or 4.5. Some are at 4.3. But I've looked through and seen other people with the exact same motherboard as I have posting solid scores with 4.6GHz. I also have seen people with different motherboard brands complaining of low max boost clock speed.

I can expect some variance in top boost speed based on cooling, bios version/settings, acceptable silicon quality differences, etc. However, My maximum boost being 340MHz below 4600MHz advertised value is much too extreme to be explained by normal reasons. I wouldn't care if my max boost was 45xx something, but max single core boost of 4260 is in the range of defective/far below advertised values. My 3dmark (time spy cpu: 7642, tomshardware got 8681) and cinebench R23 (single core: 1393.. should be around 1550) numbers are terrible compared to others with similar CPU. GPU numbers in 3dmark, however, are spot on. 

Ryzen 5600x, Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX (BIOS F10,F11j,F11k), EVGA 3060Ti FTW3, Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600, Corsair RM750x

I did a bit more testing with my setup from above. Ryzen Master had no effect when enabling PBO and/or AutoOC.

When I used Ryzen Master to manually set one core to 4600Mhz, I was able to run a cinebench test through with expected results. However, this wasn't stable, as even when I set all the other cores as low as 3900MHz, running cinebench multicore test resulted in a WHEA almost immediately.

I did some more fiddling with manual speed/voltage settings. Using manual overclock settings, either in Ryzen Master software or in my motherboard bios the Advanced->Settings->AMD Overclocking->Manual Overclocking (not the more generic cpu clock speed settings on the main tweaking screen).

Every core clock speed: 4525MHz. Trying 4550 on even a single core and rest 3700) resulted in WHEA even up to 1.5V

Voltage: 1.3V. This seems pretty stable, I've run multiple cinebench multicore tests. It may have rebooted at one point when I wasn't in the room. If so, I imagine a few more ticks up would take care of it. Any lower and I got WHEA during a cinebench run.

Temperature never gets above 75C when running cinebench multicore test, so that is acceptable enough.

So I have 4525 and 1.3V set in the BIOS. Seems to be running ok. Without this, my multicore test runs the CPU cores at around 3950MHz. Single core only gets up to 4292. I still feel like something is wrong with this CPU, since it seems like I am pushing it to the edge of its overclocking capability just to get it to 75MHz under what it should do without any hassle. The latest release non-beta bios for my motherboard (F11) still prevents me from booting into windows as well. Others seem to work fine with it or have great performance improvements from it. 

EDIT: I did need to bump voltage up to 1.31V

0 Likes
mspoller
Journeyman III

Did you ever truly fix this?  I'm having the same problem and posted about it.  My CPU never hits 4.6 in single or multi core tests.

0 Likes

Same exact issue on my ASUS x570 Mobo and 5600x, currently stuck at 4.2

0 Likes

On my B450 Gigabyte, Bios F60e, max 4641 Mhz in AIDA64 stress test, but not in all core (max 2-3 core simultaneously and rarely). In cinebench 23 single core max 4640 Mhz (in 2-3 core constantly). In cinebench 23 multi core 3941Mhz in all core.

0 Likes

Bro dont worry about much mhz just set your voltage to 13 then set manually your mhz to 4400 believe it you will get 30 fps boost

0 Likes
xesap58662
Adept II

gigabyte x570 pro r1.1 5600x
I hit 4.850 all day every day

0 Likes

I tried multiple BIOS versions for my Gigabyte B550I motherboard, all of the newer ones would not boot. Although if I adjusted the PBO curve to +20 all cores it would boot (although still WHEA after awhile) and the single core boost hit around 4600. Multicore still stuck at under 4000 though.

I also tried this on an MSI B550 Mortar board, and had exactly the same results. Low boost on older BIOS, latest BIOS (1.1.9.0 agesa based) would not boot. Clearly something wrong with CPU. Took AMD awhile, but I got an RMA authorization after nearly 4 weeks from my initial contact with them.

0 Likes

Try a negative PBO. I try  -18 on all cores with no PBO limit and my CPU boost up to 4.4 all cores on a B550i pro AX (voltage auto was around  1.138-1.15V on Cinebench R23) 

0 Likes

Some (older) info for cinebench testing,

rm resource use.PNG

Try a lone cpu-z stress test to see if clocks reach 4.6 ? 

0 Likes
AcidxBurn
Adept I

Turn on PBO in amd overclocking and set it to "motherboard". As long as you have a half decent airflow case you will get spikes to 4.6 iv even had 4.65 on few benches. (Depends what benchmark you use, as they might claim to be using 100% but some don't fully stress it so u will get 4.6+ others it will top out at 4.56 at 1.35v "auto")  I'm using noctua d15 so the best a man can get lol and never hit more than 74.

3800mhz on the ram and infinity fabric at 1900 running 1 to 1, gives a nice bump to latency and everything just pops that bit faster. 

0 Likes

5600X single and multicore adventures

i have 5600x on msi tomahawk with 2 x [2 x 8 Gskill Ripjaws V  F4-3600C16-8gvk]  4x8 in total at 1900 1:1:1 @1.4V keeping 16 16 16 36  with no errors using linpack and also HWinfo64 and p95. done lots of gaming benchmarks too mainly for RAM SPEED INCREASE AND FPS INCREASE.

CM Hyper 212 Black RGB Win10Pro 2004 build,  Asus Dual 2070 Super,  with Samsung 970 Evo 512mb M.2 and 870 QVO 2TB

faster ram made no diff for R20 but it  helps for games, some a lot, and some a little at 1920 x 1080 Ultra settings!

played around with pbo firstly with only using the level 1  2  3 and 4 settings  which seemed to boost the single core speed only to a point with out changing multi core speeds! level 3 was fastest usable with single running at 4800mhz and level 2 was more mild but cooler at 4750mhz. it uses more voltage to do it and it runs hotter

i tried out Game Boost and it totally stuffed the putey, had to reset bios to get it to reboot! 

R20 single core is around 598  [ 4650mhz]    and multi is around 4150  [4200mhz]  at  53C

just installed newest chipset drivers 2.11.26.106 re run R20  single 600   multi 4320 

i have used 3 diff bios, currently on latest agesa 1200 also running  curve optimiser all core at -20 no errors

def ppt = 76W TDC = 48A EDC = 85A    @  53C  [ but games dont run any slower]

just run R23 doing the 10 mins test and it maxed out at 54C score was 10921 with a few programs open!

single core score was 1533   @ 44C

later tried it with pbo enabled set with motherboard control. it runs hotter and score goes upto what you see in review  4500 at 77C.

with pbo enabled it sucks down  PPT 124W  TDC  74A  EDC 110A   @77C

cpu is not limited by power constraints and multi core tests runs faster and run hotter !

as for whether its the motherboard or cpu it is hard to tell ? starting to thinks its the cpu....

maybe some motherboard manufacturers cheat and allow more power than the default?

also found each bios update changes stuff with regards to curve optimiser and also ram stuff as well which is a pain to have to redo it all each time!

i have kinda given up and accept my multicore is a little lower but   IT SHOULD NOT BE !

i seemt to be better off than most in this thread 

i can boost it using pbo but to get higher Multi scores but my games dont run any faster and its hotter so i prefer to loose a little on multi to make it run cooler for gaming and everything else !

i have looked at heaps of diff 5600x reviews for R20 and gaming scores, and they are all with diff with ram setups!  cooling setups vary too ! 

another thing too is that they always use a very high end motherboard  ie Godlike or similar for reviews which most of us cant afford  so in real world , it is not very representative! 

0 Likes

are you having performance problems or is it just a psychological matter with figures ? speaking about cinebench but not seeing any scores here lol

i read "motherboard overclocks the CPU when I enable DOCP to 4.2 "

maybe try to set timings on manual ?

0 Likes
Stao
Journeyman III

I was having the same problem... then i repaste and tight the srews of my cooler just a bit more and now hits 4.6Ghz on all cores without changing anything else. I hope that helps you.

0 Likes

Just enable "Asus Performance Enhancement" Section in  your BIOS settings. Your problem shall be solved.. 

0 Likes
HannibalBarca
Journeyman III

In your motherboard settings  Disable "Auto OC" if enabled, and enable "Asus Performance Enhancement"  it will go up to 4650 mhz .. When "Asus Performance Enhancement" is disabled, cpu is become limited and goes up to 4.4 Ghz depending on temperature level (Sometimes 4.2 ghz.).  And I strongly recommend to make a PBO curve adjustment, start with negative 18 for all cores and proceed further (i.e. 20 - 22 etc.) Lower curve reduces heat and raises cpu frequency. I am using mine with negative 24 for first three cores (per core ajustment) and 26  for others. I have "2004" Cinebench R15 point without any overclock at 4650 mhz.  (no PBO Enhancement either). 

0 Likes
Ryzenbaby
Journeyman III

Hey guys do you know if I can apply my 4.8 all core in the bios if ryzen master has set it to 4.8 but I'n bios it's saying auto on the frequency. Also it was a auto oc 

0 Likes