cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

otcompa
Adept I

Ryzen 5 5600X instability during high sustained CPU load with core performance boost on

Hi, I recently upgraded my CPU+motherboard to a Ryzen 5 5600X and a Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO over the weekend. Since then my computer has been shutting off/crashing (power straight up cut, not BSoD, can turn PC back on immediately after) during high sustained CPU loads. (high fps games, cinebench, etc)

I have been troubleshooting since then and in the process, I have ruled out a couple of potential issues. I initially suspected it was overheating, so I bought a new CPU cooler and now my temperatures under max load is 75 degrees Celsius. Then I did a fresh reinstall of Windows. Finally, I tried updating my BIOS to F11g and still no dice. 

Eventually, I found out that turning off core performance boost in the BIOS has allowed my system to be stable at high sustained CPU loads. However, this disables the turbo frequency and therefore the all cores are permanently stuck at 3.7 GHz or below, never to go higher. 

I am unsure what to do now and help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550M AORUS PRO

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x8 3200MHz CL16

GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2070 SUPER WINDFORCE OC 3X

PSU: Corsair CX-M 650w (had this in my previous build and was working fine, don't think it's the PSU)

BIOS version: F11g

1 Solution
otcompa
Adept I

I looked into it more and found someone with the same CPU+mobo combo that had a similar issue but with XMP instead. Apparently, having both CPB and XMP on will cause instability, and either one of them off will allow the system to be stable. I feel pretty dumb for not checking that first. So now it seems more of a motherboard issue since I've had XMP enabled with my previous mobo+cpu without issues. Hopefully there's a BIOS update that allows it to be stable at max speed. Time to cancel the order of my 5800x...

View solution in original post

20 Replies