cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Czaja
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 5600X High temperatures with excellent cooler and airflow / Problems with overclocking

Hi guys, 

I've got some problems with my ryzen - hight temperatures and overclocking problems to be specific. Processor temperature is very high even in idle (sometimes it's even around 50°). I ran OCCT and Cinebench and temperaturest went up to around 90° extremly quickly on auto voltage and no overclocking done(100% fans speed on cooler and pc case). Overall I have tried to overclock this cpu but even now clocks are not stable at 1.3V and 4.7GHz. I tried to change thermal paste but it brought no result - everything was already fine previously. The weirdest part of all of this is the fact that my cpu cooler is a little bit warm on the bottom and absolutely COLD on the top - it seems like processor cant conduct thermals by himself, maybe it's because processor's IHS isn't soldered fine. What do you guys think? I hope you got some tips for me. Should I send my cpu on warranty?

PC: 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro

MB: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI

GPU: GTX 960 4GB  (waiting for the MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio 8GB)

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 16GB 2x8 4400MHz CL19  - right now default 2133MHz CL15(isn't set correctly-I will try 3800MHz CL14/15)

PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W 80 Plus Gold

CASE: be quiet! Silent Base 802 Window Black

SSD 1: ADATA 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe XPG SX8200 Pro

SSD 2: ADATA 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro

0 Likes
3 Replies
trek
Elite

Your CPU cooler is advertised for 250W, therefore it should have no problems with cooling of 5600x.

Notice installation video for you cooler - TIM applicatoin

trek_0-1611396888275.png

This is a lot of paste, it is because almost all coolers have convex coldplate and you must put a lot of paste to make sure there is contact. Since gamers nexus video thermal paste methods comparison I personally put a lot of paste, excess is squeezed out, I do not have problem with that. But anyway try to follow insctructions from manufacturer of your cooler, maybe it will help.

0 Likes
Czaja
Journeyman III

I used A LOT OF thermal paste, so thats not the problem.

0 Likes

Using too much TIM will hamper thermal performance, all you need is a thin layer. Also I assume you are measuring temperatures with Ryzen Master? Post a screenshot of Ryzen Master under Cinebench R23 load, like the one below.

image.png

0 Likes