cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

leovinous
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 5600x dropping to 0.5 GHz

Starting last week I have noticed that my CPU will drop to 546.54 Mhz with a multiplier of 5.47. This is my current set up.

MB- MEG X570 Unify
CPU- Ryzen 5 5600x
Memory- Crucial Ballistics Max 4000 Mhz 32 GB (4x8GB)
GPU- AMD Radion RX 6800

There is one update to the BIOS for the unify, I am going to try that. Mainly i have noticed that it is happening in the division 2 and some other programs. I have already reseeded everything and there are not heat issues looking for a second option to see if there is anything that i missed.

0 Likes
2 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Yes and I'm working on it. I have the 5600X and it will drop or fail to boost certain cores under heavy loads causing problems. I'm running the 2.1.0.0 BIOS on an AsRock board. I'm going to try flashing back to the 1.0.8.0, the first stable 5000 supporting BIOS. You may want to do the same. "Curve Optimizer" is not working as intended, nor is PBO 2. So if you're thinking about the 2.1.0.0 version, don't. It's a Beta and can cause other issues like USB ports to stop working. Agesa with 1.0.8.0 was the first stable 5000 BIOS, possibly 1.1.0.0 D is another but many complain, it's a 50/50 thing there.

Also I see your running 4000 RAM, try to clock it down to 3800-3600 and in BIOS if you have the IF set to 2000, that's a no go. It might have worked but it doesn't stay that way. Max stability is 1900 IF and 3800 RAM, best stability is 3600 RAM and 1800 IF.

CPU-Z can probably list the RAM timings for either 3600 or 3800 as a JDEC spec.

DRAM Calc is a good program as well that can help find the timings to run that 4000 at a lower speed.

When you go to 4000 RAM the CPU IF tries to match half that speed or 2000. It can't so it decouples itself and runs much slower. You wind up running the RAM/IF at 1:2 vs. 1:1 resulting in a significant single core performance hit.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

After the BIOS update to the 1/25/2021 update running it with no auto OC on with the programs that have been having the issue, it doesn't happen. I went back and applied the Auto OC, issue doesn't happen. Applying XMP-1 to the memory, issue doesn't happen. the updated BIOS seems to have fixed the issue.

Description
- Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.0
- Support S.A.M technology (Re-size BAR function) to enhance GPU performance for AMD Radeon RX 6000 series.
that what was listed for the update with my motherboard, As to you comments with the memory, I have not had any issue with that, I did notice that the 0.5 issue was in some older CPU's so i will have to wait and find out if this "fix" is what the issue was.
0 Likes