cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Gjallahornie
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 5600 vs. 3100 overheating

So during Black Friday I bought a Ryzen 5 5600 to replace my 3100 after the semester ended. I just switched the CPU out, tightened enough to be in place and updated bios and each time I’d start my pc it would immediately spin the fans like it’s been over loading the entire time. The temperatures don’t even start low, the cpu immediately jumps to the 90°’s and I don’t even have to open any programs for that to happen.

After my most recent trial of this after having updated the BIOS to the most recent one I let it sit and touched the surrounding parts, they were warmer than they’ve ever been with my 3100. I do not feel comfortable having my system run that temp from the start let alone when I’m playing games or doing renders. I’ve seen others buy other coolers but it’s literally a slap in the face to give us a cooler that does all of nothing to then inform the “only fix” is to buy a better one. Are there any fixes for this overheating issue? I’ve seen that these CPU’s can run at those temps but I genuinely do not feel comfortable going from stable quiet and relatively cool temperatures to loud airplane propeller high heat vibes.

mother board is an asrock B550m Pro4, GPU EVGA GTX 1660, Corsair  Vengeance ram (32), and PSU is Corsair 550.

0 Likes
3 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Gjallahornie, sounds like the cooler is not mounted properly but then you did tell us what cooler you are using. You moved from a TDP of 65  Watts to 105 Watts, so hope you have an upgraded your cooler. Post much more about your system. Thanks and enjoy.

the cooler I think is mounted as good as it could be. From what I can tell all 4 screws are in enough to hold it firmly without being too tight like a dead bolt. I tried making sure it’s evenly leveled and I’m positive it’s as level as can be, but I do see others saying the cooler is a potential cause of this. i just hate the fact that if that’s the case that AMD essentially said screw you to anyone buying this series of cpu with the free cooler that comes with it.

im currently on the latest BIOS for asrock, the VCore voltage is 1.088 and Dram is 1.192. I was going to bring in the cpu to micro center and exchange as per what the chat assistant suggested. It’s a shame that an upgrade is doing worse in some fronts than what I had previously tbh

0 Likes

Your not using the old Ryzen power plan, they are not required for the 5000 series. Windows balanced power plan is recommended.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes