cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Icedragon05
Journeyman III

ryzen 5 3600xt revving up and down

The 3600xt is revving up and down, the fan speeds vary and the voltages also, this happens randomly at idle or with load
Idle temps @36c but reaches 70C+ and the fan souns like its trying to break free.

Most of the guts of this pc have been replaced, Motherboard, Ram, CPU, Cooler, SSD.

I appeared to have this problem sorted via

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NcZCMu5kCw&t=3s
but when I installed a StandardNVM Express Controller as suggested via Driver Reviver on reboot got BSOD with inaccessible boot device message. Only way I could get back was to reinstall windows from USB (didnt have any restore points).

However the pc is back to previous revving behaviour, even though to me the settings are as when problem sorted. anyone have any ideas?

0 Likes
9 Replies
kurdtnz
Adept III

Ryzen's are known for continuously ramping up and down,it's just the way they work and if you are using their stock cooler, you're definitely going to hear it! Best thing I ever did was buy an after market cooler, the Ryzen still jumps up and down all over the place but it's now barely audible. 

I just watched this guys video but the problem is, when he suggests to change the max power to 99%, you will limit your CPU to it's base speed, it will not boost to its turbo speed.

0 Likes

Hello,

My 3600XT must be doing very well as it will boost to 4.625Ghz though the base rated speed is 3.8Ghz which was recorded by HWiFO64 while using various benchmarks varying from Cinebench R23.200, CPU-Z stress testing and benchmark-launcher (Blender).  I just watch that video content and never seen it previously, yet I've always set my Ryzen setting to max throughout them for "high performance", though my Ryzen Balanced is more "relaxed". For bmw in blender benchmark my 3600XT finishes fairly consistent at 3 minutes and 54 seconds without any overclocks and the DDR4 set to 3200 (non-XMP). This is just for reference. Yet I am curious as to how yours is performing?

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G
0 Likes

Hi Folks

I think it's sorted now, using Ryzen High Performance power plan with the Min processor set at 20% and max at 99% I'm typically getting temps between 34c and 40, cpu fan running from @ 1700 up to 2300RPM and there doesn't appear to be any of that revving behaviour. I don't do anything particularly taxing with pc and not had a temp over 43C since I entered those settings.

0 Likes

As I said earlier, just bear in mind that since you changed max processer state to 99%, your cpu will only run at it's base speed of 3.8GHz and not boost to 4.5GHz, which is fine but will hinder performance, especially paying the extra for the 'xt' version of the chip.

0 Likes

Hello,

Good to hear you got it sorted out. Simple and short form is that cooler the better.

"Precision Boost takes into account three numbers in deciding how many cores can boost and when, and those numbers are PPT, TDC, and EDC, as well as temperature and the chip’s max boost clock."

Patrick Lathan at Gamers Nexus has great coverage on AMD Ryzen PBO, Auto-OC and some benchmarks which you can read @ https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc 

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G
0 Likes

Hi as an addendum to that, after updating to Win 11 temps have now increased to 40-50c cpu fan speed 2400.

All the settings remain the same so I am assuming this is a product of Win 11.

I haven't been able to find any remedies for that.

0 Likes

Hello icedragon,

What's you cpu cooling solution? Are you using the one that came in the box? I'm going to assume that you are as I don't even think my Cooler Master 212 EVO would ramp up that much at those temperatures. I'm idling 650 rpm's at 33.8C, though I'm not sure what my current ambient is in my office. Your 50C or less is nice, except that I'm going to assume fan noise has to be driving you nuts. Yet I like to keep my components below 60C as much as I can, though the GPU will max at 70C with load.

0 Likes

Hi yes it's stock wraith spire, the fan noise was annoying me before I used those power settings, even with the increase in temps it's not a problem now. it's at 36c and 2136rpm cpu and 700rpm case fans at the mo...

0 Likes

Hello Icedragon05,

As a 3600XT owner I never even removed the cooling solution that came in the box with my unit. I had already had a Cooler Master EVO 212 Air Cooler which I initially used on my 2600. Currently I chose to get a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.black just in case I ever chose to upgrade later. I also changed up from a ASRock B450M Steel Legend to the X570 Taichi to which I never had any major fluctuations that you are describing.

Thus I am wondering if you are using the cooling solution that your 3600XT shipped with in the box? And if you have attempted to remount it as it might not be seated flush?

As I am writing this my 3600XT is idling from 32C to 33C while my current ambient is about 16C in my office. Generally it won't hit 60C in my few games. At this moment I decided to run Cinebench R23.200 which I just hit 70C in the multi-core test as I write this with a previous multi-core score of 9836. No overclock and 32G DDR4 @1600 fclk & mclk aka 3200. SMART enabled. Win 10 Pro 21H1. For your reference, though you might get slightly different results.

0 Likes