cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

M3lon
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3600x idles at 70c in BIOS and skyrockets when under stress

So I bought the pc parts in a tech store and had them all assembled there. My gpu is a zotac 3060ti (factory oc) and CPU is 3600x. Mobo is Asus TUF B450 PRO

When it was first put together and powered on the CPU was idling at 70c but the guy who assembled it assured me that it was a BIOS problem and it'd show me the true result when updated.

I updated the BIOS firmware to see if it was true but nope. It was still sitting at 70c. I installed CP2077 to play and I would go around 90-95c, sometimes even above those. I knew something was wrong when it shuts itself down when I was playing it.

I downloaded COD MW2019 to see if it could handle it but before I even get through the activision logo the temps skyrocket from 60 to 110 and the computer shuts itself down. 

I removed the tempered glass to see if I could reduce the temps but that didn't work. I also checked the stock AMD cooler to see if it's tight to the CPU and even applied some pressure to see if my temps would go down but nothing happened.

My only theory is that the tech guy applied too little thermal, I don't know what else could cause this. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Forgot to post updates on this thread.

So I disconnected the CPU Cooler to take a look at the thermal paste and there was simply next to none. The thermal past was only touching the edges of the CPU and it didn't spread at all. I re-applied a new thermal paste and that solved all of my issues. I assumed that the pre-applied thermal paste went bad, couldn't come up with any other explanation.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
sailorx
Adept II

Start off with turn off turbo.  3.8 base more enough power for gaming.  This should help your heat problem.  And did the guy use paste came with CPU or did clean off and use his own. 

I would suggest you replace that cooler big time with a different one.   I don't know your case and air flow.  But a AIO may be a good option.  I suggest a case/fan/rad config as it can make cleaning easy with it blowing out.   You temps should be like 30-50 idle    hyper 212 evo be a major upgrade only 35 also have thing of grease just in case.

0 Likes

I suggest  ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Paste, Carbon Based High Performance Thermal Compound for All Coolers  Corsair Hydro Series, H60 2018 (CW-9060036-WW), 120mm Radiator, Single 120mm PWM Fan, Liquid CPU Cooler  

As a min 

I run a 3800x and 1800x with a AIO's idle temp is 35.  "I do not have turbo" on do it peaking out my coolers pointlessly.

Meaning my 3800x is limited 3.8 base clock and my 1800x is limited 3.6 base clock heat not a issue.

0 Likes
Thanny
Miniboss

There's zero chance the cooler is installed correctly with those temperatures.  You're going to have to remove and re-install it, with fresh thermal paste.

0 Likes

Are you using the Bundled AMD CPU Cooler SPIRE or a 3rd Party CPU Cooler?

Either way, if your CPU is idling at 70C , your CPU Cooler is not correctly installed. The AMD Spire is adequate for most computing without overheating including playing games.

Check to make sure the Spire is properly latched down to the CPU and it isn't loose. Also that the CPU Cooler is making a good, tight, and even connection to the CPU surface.

If you use too little or too much Thermal paste it will cut down on the heat transfer efficiency of the CPU Cooler heat sink.

Also check to make sure your CPU Cooler Air flow is not being blocked or interrupted by cables or wires.

Remove the side panel to your Computer case and see if the temp lowers. If it does lower down that indicates poor Air flow in your computer case if it doesn't then it is your CPU Cooler.

0 Likes

Forgot to post updates on this thread.

So I disconnected the CPU Cooler to take a look at the thermal paste and there was simply next to none. The thermal past was only touching the edges of the CPU and it didn't spread at all. I re-applied a new thermal paste and that solved all of my issues. I assumed that the pre-applied thermal paste went bad, couldn't come up with any other explanation.