Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cesarmen
Adept I

Ryzen 5 3600x Hight temps

Hello,

I just bought a PC build with a Ryzen 5 3600x (stock cooler) on a Rog Strix B450-f motherboard.

GPU msi RTX 2060, 2x8 corsair 3200Mhz.
Is my first time with AMD and I see temperatures between 45 to 60 C on idle. 

Playing games it could reach 80 C (depending of the game). 

Motherboard Bios is updated

During the installation, thermal compund was applied properly 

Is this normal? Should I worry? Should I change the cooler? 

Regards

Cesar

16 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

The CPU temperature you read is very normal for the package value. Depending on the air circulation inside the PC case, the package temperature of your processor may rise up to 80 degrees. Restart the computer and go to the BIOS screen by re-pressing DEL. What is the CPU temperature you see? Probably this temperature is close to 40 degrees. If you have the value close to 60 degrees, there may be a issue.

Hello,

Thank you for your comment

The temperature in the BIOS mode is between 57-60 C. What could be the issue? Where should I check?
See the Photo.

Thank you!

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-01 at 05.05.40.jpeg

0 Likes

There is a issue. The actual CPU temperature of 57 degrees is not normal in the BIOS. You should definitely solve the heating problem.

+The Ryzen CPU coolers provide cooling with hot air inside the PC case. How is the air circulation inside the PC case?

+Have you tried thermal paste replacement?

+Is there the CPU cooler fan speeding up problem?

+Is the CPU cooler installed properly?

Hello,

+ I only have the CPU Stock cooler and the back side cooler which is exhausting to the outside the air. 

+ I already replaced the thermal paste yesterday
+ How do I know? I see that there is not vibration on it. Normally increase or decrease the RPM from 2500 (iddle) to 3500 (gaming)

+ I think yes.

I tried opening the case and the temperature was 55 C. The temperature in the ambient is 25-26 C

Thank you!

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-01 at 13.37.12.jpeg

0 Likes

Buy TWO 120mm fans for the top of the PC case. Position them to let the outside cold air in. If that's not enough, you can purchase a CPU fan. I can offer you different suggestions according to your preference, if you want.

I got 3 120mm Fans Cooler Master that works up to 2000 rpm. 
How you suggest to install them?
I have read that the most common is bottom and front for air IN. Up and back for OUT.

What do you think?

In any case, I want to know if this is normal that for these CPU you have to buy also a cooler. Or should I claim somebody?

Thank you all for your help!

You're welcome.

You can install two case fans on the top of the case. When you look at the fans from the top of the case, you will see the front faces of the fans. Before screwing the fans into the case, make sure the fans are spinning properly.

0 Likes

Capture.PNG

You can install PC case fans on the top of the case to cool the processor and under the case to cool the graphics card. I tried to indicate the aspects that the fans should have. 

But does your PC case provide fan support for the GPU?

0 Likes

No, my case does not provide fan support to install in the upper part of the PSU

Only 2 in the top and 3 in the front

0 Likes

What is your CPU temperature GAIN after installing the PC case fans?

0 Likes

Ok I had to made a change in you recomendation because of cable lenghts and connectors of the Motherboard.
I installed 1 additional in the top and 2 in the front

Test 1, Top IN: it looks like in iddle is the same between 45-55 C doing nothing. In the bios screen I got 54-55 C. However playing CoD WZ the maximun was 76 C

Test 2, Top OUT: in iddle I got lower values, minimun was 39 C. In the BIOS screen i got 52-53 C. But playing I got 79 C Max 

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-02 at 17.37.58.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-02 at 17.44.33.jpeg

0 Likes

The fan direction you took your picture is the same as I said.

file_132_18.jpg

You need a similar cable in this picture for your PC case fans. You also need to use a thermal paste that thermal connectivity value is equal to 4watt/k or better. Also your CPU core voltage appears to be 1.46. This value is too high. You need to undervolting for the CPU. The CPU voltage you see on the BIOS screen should be slightly above 1.3. Otherwise, it may be very difficult to cool it.

0 Likes

Edit:

If your game temperature does not drop below 70 degrees despite the conditions I specified, a new CPU cooler is required. Your PC case did not have good air circulation, this problem would affect not only the CPU but also the GPU.

If you buy a new CPU cooler, you should change the direction of the upper PC case fans according to the type of CPU cooler you purchased.

So if you prefer a liquid cooler, you can connect the radiator to the front of the case and it will be better to change the direction of the upper fans. Modification will be unnecessary for the upper case fans if you buy an air cooling CPU fan.

Goodluck...

0 Likes

This is your first share.

001.PNG

This is second.

002.PNG

So your temperature gain should have been more than 2 degrees. I suggest you reset the BIOS settings. Your current CPU cooler does not support the high voltages. Your CPU cooler probably has a capacity of 60-70watt for the case with good airflow.

0 Likes

You likely just have a CPU that runs a bit to the hot side. Changing coolers would likely help a lot. Especially on the idle temps. Something like a cooler master 212 evo would probably bring those temps down considerably. You could spend more but and get even better results. Unfortunately the stock AMD coolers other than their top Prism Cooler are not great but will usually keep you in thermal limits but that does not mean cool. The prism is way overpriced so look for a good aftermarket replacement if that it the route you chose. Most of us feel more comfortable with a bit better cooling. If you used the thermal compound that came on the stock cooler it isn't the best but likely isn't accounting for the temps you are seeing. Maybe at most a few degrees. Make sure to pay attention to the height of the cooler if you buy one and that your case can fit it. 

You case setup looks fine to me. The issue is that the CPU stock cooler is just pretty bad and some 3600 & 3600x processors just run hotter than others. 
You would be much better off to just replace the stock cooler with something better. 

A Cooler Master 212 evo would likely do very well for you and run about 35  bucks.

I would not undervolt the cpu. In fact making any such changes voids the CPU warranty. 

You should run at bios defaults. If you are hot then you need to upgrade to a better cooler. 

Your complaint is about one of hundreds in these forums. A simple search for 3600 hot, and you will see how common the complaint is. Almost all of them fix the issue with better CPU cooling. Unfortunately other than AMD top end Prism cooler the others are not that good. 

0 Likes