cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

papahomer
Adept I

Ryzen 5 3600 won't POST in existing mobo.

Starting configuration:

AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Desktop Processor
ASRock AB350 PRO4 ATX Motherboard
G.SKILL FORTIS Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 SDRAM (PC4 19200)  Model F4-2400C15D-16GFT

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 128 Bit PCI-E Graphic Card (GV-N1050OC-2GD)

Replaced Ryzen 3 with AMD Ryzen 5 3600.

Power & lights.  All fans (including CPU) spin.  No POST.  No beep.  Does not get to BIOS.  No display.  Keyboard lights do not light.  Power cycles every 25 seconds.

I re-installed the Ryzen 3.  Updated BIOS to 5.80

Re-installed Ryzen 5.  Same result:  No POST... does not get to BIOS ...Power cycles every 25 seconds.

Unplugged and removed CMOS battery.

Same result:  No POST... does not get to BIOS ...Power cycles every 25 seconds.

I'm at a loss.  Any ideas appreciated.

22 Replies

If you have the correct BIOS Version for your new Ryzen 5 and the RAM Memory is listed as being compatible in the Motherboard's QVL List with the the new Ryzen processor, then I would open a Warranty Ticket with the Retailer you purchased it from or open a AMD Warranty ticket and see if they believe it needs to be RMAed from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form 

Note: AMD Warranty starts once the Retailer's Warranty expires.

Can you install that processor on a different compatible Motherboard and see if it does the same thing?  If it does then that is a good indication the Processor is defective.

Also check to make sure the new processor isn't physically damaged like bent or broken CPU Pins or has some abnormal discoloration due to overheating.

Also remove all the RAM sticks EXCEPT one and see if it boots up. Also remove all hardware connected to the motherboard EXCEPT:

1-Monitor

2-GPU Card

3-PSU

4-Processor

5-Keyboard and Mouse

6-One RAM Stick

See if it boots up. Also makes it easier to find out which hardware is causing the issue.

Does the Motherboard have any Trouble LED's or Digital codes indicators when it doesn't boot up?

0 Likes

Many thanks elstaci .   Let me try to disconnect HDs and try one stick of RAM tonight.

0 Likes

One more thing about updating the BIOS on ASRock Motherboards. YOU MUST FIRST UPDATE THE MOTHERBOARD'S CHIPSET BEFORE UPDATING THE BIOS VERSION.

Go to your ASROCK Support for your motherboard and read the Notes or Comments in the far right column in the BIOS Download section.  There it instructs you on how to update the BIOS.

But since you mentioned that the Ryzen 3 worked correctly with the new BIOS then it does seem to indicate it was installed correctly.

If you still get the same results with one Stick of RAM then I would open a AMD Warranty Request and see if they believe your processor needs to be RMAed to be check or replaced.

I would update to the latest BIOS but since it is doing it on a supported BIOS Version I have a feeling that it will not make much of a difference. It should at least boot up with BIOS Version 5.80 installed.

Is your RAM listed on ASRock Support Motherboard QVL list for Matisse Processor for RAM MEMORY?

EDIT: In my previous reply I forgot to mention to keep connected your Windows 10 HDD/SSD.

0 Likes

Okay went to ASRock Support for your Motherboard. The minimum BIOS version you needed for the Motherboard to recognize and boot up is version 5.80 for the Ryzen 5 3600 Processor: ASRock > AB350 Pro4 

The QVL list for RAM MEMORY for Pinnacle Processors, there isn't any for Matisse, shows some RAM close to what you have installed. The two closest are only supported on two RAM Memory slots on your motherboard: ASRock > AB350 Pro4 

mccharle
Elite

Hello papahomer,

on asrock website, updating bios require attention to avoid problems.

before upgrading to bios version 5.80 can you remember the old version ?

Latest bios is 6.30 for Matisse CPU.

Also try only one stick of DRAM on A2 slot.

Thanks mccharle  I Will try one stick tonight.

I had 5.0....following Asrock instructions... I updated to 5.40 (rebooted just fine with Ryzen 3).  Then I updated to 5.80 (rebooted just fine with Ryzen 3).

I'd like to try one stick. That seems very logical.

Just wondering if 5.80 is good..or if I should go further.

BTW, after the updates I had a friend supervise (another set of eyes) as I reinstalled the R5.

0 Likes
papahomer
Adept I

@elstaci and @mccharle  ...You were both on the right track !
In the words of that famous musician "Great googly moogly".
In summary: 
One stick in A2:  No joy.
Different stick in B2:  After one power cycle, it got to BIOS.
Shows DRAM voltage 1.21 (from Auto setting).
Temp was showing as 47° C...which seemed a bit high coming from R3 1200, but that's not terrible.
The only really troubling part was when it left BIOS it didn't give me the "No Boot Device Found.  Press __ to reboot"
So what would you suggest now?  Should I put in the second stick?  Try increasing the voltage then put in the second stick?  Get new RAM? 
Not sure which list to use for R5-3600.
Looks like R5-3600 is looking for DDR4 3200 memory
Thanks!
0 Likes

I believe you mentioned you were going to disconnect the other HDDs connected to your motherboard. if you disconnected all your other HDD/SSDs, reconnect them again. See if it recognizes your C: drive.

I have 5 HDDs in my computer. When I disconnected all but the Windows drive, my computer wouldn't boot up until I reconnect at least 2 other drives. It is a mystery why that occurred. It should have booted up with just the Windows HDD installed, but in my case it didn't.

I wouldn't install the second RAM stick yet until you are able to boot into Windows.  8 gbyte RAM is enough to run Windows x64 in a computer. Once you are able to enter Windows then you can try and add the second RAM Stick and see if it boots up.

Try running a Windows Installation DVD or USB, not to reinstall Windows, but to enter the Troubleshoot Menu. I would first click on repair Startup in Windows and see if that fixes the problem.

But if an error message comes up saying there was no Windows OS installed then you can also use Windows Installation to enter Command Prompt and run DISKPART and see if it shows your Windows Drive and Windows Partition.

In DISKPART, the lettering will be completely different then in Windows.

If you are unfamiliar with DISKPART you can look it up in the internet to get some basic commands to check to see if it sees your Windows HDD/SSD.

EDIT: Before using Windows Installation, Since you are able to enter BIOS once again, check to see if you see your Windows HDD connected in BIOS Settings. Make sure you have all your other HDD/SSDs connected first.

Make sure the cable to the Windows drive is connected firmly. You could have accidentally loosen the cable to the Windows HDD when you were working in the computer case.

0 Likes

It definitely does not like the second stick of ram.  With one stick it will boot into Windows just fine.  Once in Windows things look normal....processor is recognized.

Booting is slow

I'm thinking there is a compatibility issue with the memory that I have and the R5 3600 (Matisse ?).

I don't see a QPL for AB350 Pro 4 for Matisse/Zen 2.  I could go by specs and try to pick something.  I'm OK with that, but would feel better if there was something more official. 

Got any thoughts there?

Thanks again for the help elstaci

0 Likes

best to open a ASRock Support ticket and ask them directly which RAM MEMORY is compatible with Matisse processors (3rd generation processors like yours).

Also you might want to open a G-SKILL Support ticket and ask them the same question mentioning the ASRock motherboard you have.

Good luck!

EDIT: Went to G-SKILL RAM CONFIGURATOR and inputted your Motherboard and this is the RAM that it says it is compatible: RAM Configurator-G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd. 

0 Likes
papahomer
Adept I

Here's what I got back from Asrock:

Please check the link below and select from Pinnacle memory support list
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/index.asp#MemoryPR

ASRock America Support

Same QVL List I posted in my previous reply.

Maybe you can compare it to G-Skill RAM Memory I posted the link to.

elstaci‌, yes thank you.   I thought you'd like to see/know that.  

So my RAM (F4-2400C15D-16GFT) which did appear in the Summit Ridge list, is not in the Pinnacle Ridge list and doesn't work in dual channel with my R5-3600.  So it's probably not quite the timing that is needed by the new R5-3600 ?

I'm trying to reassure myself about getting new RAM.

0 Likes

I don't blame you and really do sympathize with you.

High Quality RAM MEMORY are not cheap. You can purchase cheap RAM but in the end it will cost you with many headaches.

The thing I learned here at AMD Forums is that Ryzens are fairly sensitive to the type of RAM installed. That is why I always suggest to pick RAM from the Motherboard's QVL list because those RAM has be tested and found to be compatible.

But unfortunately most QVL list are fairly Out-Dated. You can open Tickets with various RAM manufacturers to find out which of the latest RAM modules they have are compatible with your processor & Motherboard.

black_zion‌ recommends RAM that runs at least 3200 Mhz for Ryzen Processors due to the way the processors are manufactured. Maybe he can give some input into which RAM he believes is best to install. Many Users have mentioned that G-Skill is one of the best manufacturers of RAM for Ryzen processors.

Whatever RAM you choose, you might want to be sure it is verified for OC in case you want to use XMP in BIOS to Automatically Overclock the RAM. If you see a "V" at the far left column that means it has been verified to be Overclocked.

0 Likes

Actually high quality DDR4 is now cheap. G.Skill Flare DDR4-3200 CL14 has all the performance you could ask for for $125. However, without you using the latest BIOS version, which is 6.30, which has 3 AGESA updates since 5.80, I won't advise you further.

Just thought I'd try everything possible, so I updated to 6.30 and no change. Just FYI.

I cannot run two sticks.  I'm wondering if one is wonky.

Install each stick separately. If both boots up then most likely your RAM stick is not defective. I have read several Users that had perfectly good RAM sticks. But when they installed 2 or more sticks the computer wouldn't boot up. It would only boot up with one RAM stick due to not being 100% compatible with the motherboard and processor.

If any of your RAM Sticks were defective then it would do the same with your previous older processor. According to you, with all your RAM installed your computer booted up and worked normally with your old Ryzen processor. That seems to indicate that you have good RAM memory modules.

The advantage to updating the BIOS to the latest version is that BIOS makes the hardware and drivers connected to the Motherboard more compatible and stable. Especially the RAM and CPU. But I didn't mention about updating to the latest BIOS until you were able to boot into Windows and your computer was working.  BIOS version 5.80 should work with any compatible RAM you have installed.

Also it is interesting that your RAM was listed in the QVL list for Summit Ridge processors but not in Pinnacle Ridge Processor list. I am pretty sure that ASRock tested your RAM on both Summit and Pinnacle processors before creating the QVL List and found that your RAM was not totally compatible with Pinnacle Processors.

So not all Ryzen RAM Memories are compatible with all Ryzen processors. The Motherboard also has a lot to do with whether RAM will be compatible with the processor and motherboard.

Just tuning in after reading all this. The ram kit you had is even specifically made for AMD Ryzen. Usually when ram is not on the qvl for a mother board it does not mean it won't work it just means it won't be able to set the correct timings automatically. GSkill can give what timings to verify and if it is not setting it right you can force it manually. 

It should not be an issue with Ryzen 3xxx. If only one of two sticks is an issue then likely the stick just went bad. It happens all the time. RMA the stick of ram, if you have a receipt it is usually lifetime warranted. 

I would do that before buying new ram. Worth a try. 

I use 4x8GB G.Skill Flare X memory on my X570 fine. My R5 3600 loves it.

I have DDR4-2400 on my X470 and my R5 2400G cannot handle my G.Skill memory properly. No new BIOS either to fix the bugs.

Back when the flare x came out it was too rich for my blood. I am using the G.Skill AEGIS DDR 4 3000 4x8.  I have had no issues with this very inexpensive ram and it even clocks at 3200 with the same timings with complete stability on both my R5 3600 and my i7-7700k. Great value ram. I get it at Micro Center. Is 67 bucks at the moment as it has gone up since the pandemic. I paid 58 per 16gb back in August. Now when I got the Intel processor that ram was over a hundred bucks but was still way cheaper than most other ram of the same speed. It has no rgb or heat spreaders to jack the price up. It works great though. 

0 Likes

I agree the Flare X was a premium but it has settled down to fair value about 9 months ago so I grabbed 4 sticks of 8GB DDR4-3200 and I have been very happy with 32GB of memory as my box now has excellent performance when it works right

papahomer
Adept I

My system is up!   Many thanks to all!

I bought G.SKILL Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) F4-3200C16D-16GFX

I bought it based on the specs (for processor), the fact that it said it was for B350 boards, and because hardcoregames™‌ recommended it.  Interestingly, it wasn't on AsRock's QVL.

Very pleased...and even more relieved.

I had a bit of a scare.  It didn't boot after I installed.  So I took it out...and noticed that the one stick didn't seem fully seated.  So there's a lesson right there....make sure they are fully seated.  ( I don't think that was the problem with the 2400 memory.)

Now I have to work on my car and get it started

T H A N K   Y O U   A L L  ! ! !

0 Likes