cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

highbpm
Journeyman III

(Ryzen 5 3600) Where to watch CPU temps?

Well, Ryzen is a new experience for me. I don't know what temps to trust. The problem is: 3 progs report different temps for my CPU. MSI Afterburner and HWInfo64 show massive (7 to 12C) temperature spikes with temp slowly going down after them whereas Ryzen Master shows the minimal temps inbetween those spikes (e.g. MSI AB reports spikes from 55 to 65 while Ryzen Master draws an almost straight 55C line).

What is more interesting, in stress tests there are no temp spikes, a stable 75C line (probably, because it's around the same core clock and voltage), but in games (when there is always a micro autoboost of cores to 4200) Ryzen Master reports smth like 57-65C almost straight lines with rare (once 3-5 minutes when a new location is loading) spikes to 70C while soft like MSI Ab shows the spikes like in idle that happen every 2-3 seconds or so (e.g. from 57C to 67-70C, from 65C to 75-80C, even things like Cinebench or Prime95 didnt show temps that high).

Well the real question is "What program to trust?" and "What numbers should I use if I consider tuning my cooling system even more: AB/HWInfo's peak numbers or Ryzen Master's peak numbers?"

0 Likes
2 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Ryzen Master and MSI AB may report different temperature values. This is because the sensors are different.

MSI AB probably displays CPU packet temperature. This temperature is reported by the processor sensor and its maximum value is usually 100 degrees celsius. As soon as this temperature approaches 100 degrees, your processor slows down and tries to prevent high temperatures.

And Ryzen Master probably displays real CPU temperature. This temperature is reported by the mobo sensor and its maximum value is usually 85 degrees celsius. As soon as this temperature exceeds 85 degrees, your motherboard may momentarily turn itself off to protect itself.

Note: I'm not sure which program is using which sensor.

0 Likes
twerkthatboot
Adept II

Hi,

I know the issue you're facing and have a better way to understand the same.

We all have established that Ryzen 3000 series processor have a tendency to incur 8-10C temp jumps on idle which you would be able to spot with MSI afterburner or HWinfo or even with just your motherboard debug led panel(displaying temps obviously). But Ryzen Master would show a constant cool 40C or so with no jumping around.

So the things is, that these new processors do jump to the temps you're seeing in all of these programs! NONE of them are wrong.

These programs just have a different method of displaying the information to the user.

Ryzen 3000 processors hit these high temps that these programs show but they do it for milliseconds on ONE or TWO cores at a given time. Now the issue comes in the displaying of the said information back to the user in all of these programs. These programs tend to update the information every 1 second (1000ms) or so. So essentially, by the time the user receives the information by the program, it's invalid. You can however use HWinfo and go to the settings tab and reduce the latency of the information updated on the screen to 50ms which in turn would update the temps much quicker but still not to the real-time point. You will then be able to take notice of how quickly a single core heats up, consumes voltage and cools off

Hope this helps.

0 Likes