Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ipegoraro
Adept I

Ryzen 5 3600 system crashing when idle

Hello,

I recently purchase a Ryzen 5 3600 along with a Asus Prime B450 Plus and a G.SKILL Aegis 16 GB (2x8) f4-3000c16d and the power supply is a Crosair CX450M. I have installed both Windows 10 and Fedora 30, and in both OSes the system is unstable, meaning after a phew minutes of usage (browsing or even staying idle) the system would crash with a Blue Screen of Death or Kernel Panic.
BIOS is up to date to the latest version for the motherboard (1820 released 2019/09/24), already tried with another motherboard (Asus Prime X370 Pro) and same problem.

I've also tried removing one ram DIMM and system is still unstable.

No overclock has been done everything is set to the default values.

Any advice? or should i return the processor?

Thanks in advance

200 Replies
zukimo
Adept I

Ryzen 5 3600 users who experiences system crashing during idle or low system load with agesa 1.0.0.3abba and above. What power plan are you using? Did you try 'Ryzen high performance' power plan with agesa 1.0.0.4 bios?

0 Likes
joefuss75
Adept II

Just wanted to give an update to this thread, about my own problems with my 3600x blue screens with any bios after 1.0.0.3ab. I noticed a funny thing about my board bios (Gigabyte B450 Aorus M), the latest version with 1.0.0.4b got pulled, then re-posted and updated, apparently with some kind of fix for video cards or something.   So decided to give it a try, and been rock stable now for almost a week.   Also, this time around after i updated from 1.0.0.3ab bios, instead of using XMP for the ram, i just decided to go in and to play with timings manually and leave XMP off, so who knows but now i get slightly better performance from the ram and no blue screens.    Another thing is about the same time was a new Nvidia driver 441.41 which i updated to.   And running the very latest chipset driver from AMD, but without the ryzen power plans, i'm using the balanced from windows.   My windows 10 version is now the latest 18363.476 (1909)  

Been well over 5 days now, keeping my fingers crossed but things are looking pretty good now.

0 Likes

on my board, asus tuf b450m gaming plus,  agesa 1.0.0.4b which is their bios version 2006, is unstable

0 Likes

Ok, so i decided to give 1.0.0.4b a try again, with my 3600, but before upgrading the BIOS I installed the latest version of nvidia driver as per joefuss75...  i have 441.66 at the time of this writing...

It's been 24 hours on idle and no crashes... which is really good seeing as it used to be within 5 minutes of upgrading the bios.

Now my question is, does everyone who has these problems have an nvidia graphics card??   i'm running an RTX 2070

Thanks joefuss75 for the tip.  Will reply if i get some BSODs in the near future

0 Likes

For me idle bsods & crashes happened both on Nvidia and AMD GPU's, and they stopped immediately after I swapped CPU to a different one (3700x). 

0 Likes

just got a bsod this morning... damn...    reverting back to 1.0.0.3ab

before ABBA bioses most stable, after ABBA too much stability problem on ryzen r5 3600

Its been two weeks since I got back to 1.0.0.3ab... it works without any issues.....

0 Likes
madkaldaroth
Adept I

Hi, created an account today to share my experience. First I have to thank  everyone, I had the same issues and reverted to 1.0.0.3ab after I found this post. No more BSOD.

However, when my computer started to crash, I tried everything else to bring it back, unplugged and tested every single component, uninstalled and reinstall drivers and windows, lost about 30hours to fix it.

I could have broke anything while doing this and make it worst.

I dont understand AMD; We trust them to provide better value for money than Intel and we always have to tinker with BIOS, RAM, Motherboard, drivers...

Did someone succeed in RMA procedure? I want the last Agesa and I wont keep this 3600 if it cant run with it,

You took my money AMD and gave me a bad one, so replace it !

I would also be interested to know if others have had this exact issue (can't upgrade beyond 1.0.0.3abb) and decided to RMA the 3600, and now have it working on 1.0.0.4b or later.

I have a 3600x and after updating to last bios, several BSOD idle, two friends of mine have the same configuration as mine, MB ram processor, and do not suffer with the problem, I will revert to bios now and see if these errors stop, if someone made the RMA and stopped the error would like to know if the error stopped.

0 Likes

This is a long shot but, maybe ask one of your friends to export the bios config to a usb stick (the bios settings profile) and see if you can import it and use it.  Doubt it will change anything, but it could be worth a shot.

As for myself i will RMA my 3600 after the holidays. I want to have it around for now to play some games 

0 Likes
jdmpower
Adept II

AMD silent no any answer this issue.Why i cant use latest bioses on X570 

fotoamg
Adept I

Dear Community!

I bought my new config as a Ryzen 5  3600 CPU, MSI Tomahawk MAX,

2x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 DDR4 Predator RAMs, GPU is Sapphire Radeon RX580 8Gb, PSU is Thermaltake Berlin 630W.

PSU and Videocard ans SDD/HDD checked was running fin in my older system (I changed from FM2 A10-5800K system which had much greater TDP so PSU should be fine for this Ryzen).

During last 2 weeks I followed ALL troubleshooting tips, from forums like the guy here:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=327343.0
He ended up with this:
"Just a quick update, I RMA'd my CPU and now all is well. No shutdowns, no xmp issues. Newest Bios installed fine, running smooth and sweet."

... disable PBO etc, using one memory channel, using JEDEC profile, reinstalling latest win 10 64bit OS to clean drive, updating all drivers to latest from MSI and AMD site.

Also BIOS flashing to latest MSI 3.50 version 3 times now.

And many many more driver troubleshooting options,

using windows verifyer looking for old drivers, checkdisk etc...

NOTHING HELPED!

All benchmarks, Intel Burn Test, Cinebench, some 3D Benchmarks, Ryzen master stress test, HWinfo64 test and even bootable memtest86+ full day test resulted no error, but when system is idle it produce random BSOD:

- just browsing

- downloading things

- copiing stuff

- insalling game

- udateing game

- doing "office like" work

- try to develop (I am a fullstack dev also)

I get random BSOD, sometimes after some minutes after logging in and all kind of variety of BSODs.

I made screenshots of the last happened in a row in some minutes, but sometimes it took half hour without any BSOD...

Please advice what should I do, should I RMA my processor now or it is a motherboard problem?

According to this thread the CPU could come from a bad batch or maybe bios...

DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER.jpgDPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.jpgKERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.jpgWDF_VIOLATION.jpg
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.jpgIRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.jpg

ITB_Result.jpgcinebench.jpgmemtest86p.jpgITB_run.jpg

0 Likes

If you have the B450 Tomahawk Max,  try using bios version 7C02v32

Sounds like you have the same problem that we do here, and if that bios version stabilizes your system.... well then you can decide to keep it that way and never upgrade your BIOS or RMA the cpu.   I'm opting to RMA my cpu.

0 Likes

Just revert to the MB bios from July 22nd.... I had the same issue and I since I reverted back (3 weeks ago) I have no problem what so ever

0 Likes
nordvargr
Adept III

It would be nice to hear from AMD regarding this very serious issue, i.e. why so so many of us, 3600 owners, are forced to use BIOS revision from July (1.0.0.3ab). Why every BIOS above that revision is causing endless stream of idle-state BSODS for so many people?

0 Likes

Yes AMD Tecnical Support  says if use r5 3600 dont update bios .Hoe 1.0.0.3ab, too funny respond

i can use 1.0.0.4 but  reach stability only MB Bios Tweak settings

Gigabyte X570 Ultra

Vrm Phase Extreme performance

Vcore Line Turbo

Soc  Line Turbo

Voltage Protection High

Could you please copy here response of  AMD Tecnical Support or give the link to it?

0 Likes

Thank you for your Email:

Please be informed while using AGESA 1.0.0.3AB BIOS on your motherboard the processor was working perfectly without any issue. please continue to use

There may any issue with latest BIOS provided by the motherboard manufacturer. I suggest you please wait up to latest bios provided by motherboard manufacturer. for further queries please contact motherboard manufacturer.

Thank you for contacting AMD.

In order to update this service request, please respond without deleting or modifying the service request reference number in the email subject or in the email correspondence below.

Please Note: This service request will automatically close if we do not receive a response within 10 days and cannot be reopened.

If it is not feasible to respond within 10 days, feel free to open a new service request and reference this ticket for continued support.

Best regards,

XXXXX

AMD Global Customer Care

Gigabyte says wait AMD
0 Likes

Great, thanks!

0 Likes

Dear X,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[XXXXXXXXXX]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Please be informed the problem in updating BIOS is motherboard issue not the cpu's. So I request you to get in touch with motherboard manufacturer for any further quieries.

Thanks for contacting AMD. 

In order to update this service request, please respond without deleting or modifying the service request reference number in the email subject or in the email correspondence below.

Please Note: This service request will automatically close if we do not receive a response within 10 days and cannot be reopened.

If it is not feasible to respond within 10 days, feel free to open a new service request and reference this ticket for continued support.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

0 Likes

Not clear respond for AGESA effect.
I dont understand before abba all is ok for r5 3600.
After abba problems.

I reach the stability problems,

PWM Phase Control :  Extreme performance

Cpu Vcore Line : Turbo

Vcore Soc  Line : Turbo

Voltage Protection : High

if i can PBO enable ramdom BSOD. >1.0.0.3ABBA,1.0.0.4

0 Likes

If you identified the exact problem then please alert AMD and motherboard manufacturer like MSI,Asus by email

0 Likes

!!!!!! As I wrote above, I had BSOD and problems in MEMTEST on AGESA 1.0.0.4abba. I installed BIOS from AGESA 1.0.0.3ab and the problems with MEMTEST disappeared. I decided to try installing again BIOS from AGESA 1.0.0.4abba and the settings in the BIOS of the motherboard in CPU/VRM SETTINGS:

CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration - Turbo

Vcore SOC Loadline Calibration - Turbo

CPU Vcore Current Protection - High

PWM Phase Control - eXm Perf

With these settings, errors in MEMTEST disappeared. The frequencies of the FSB and NORTH BRIDGE were stabilized. Performance in tests increased by 5%. So far, everything is working fine. Most likely the problems are connected with the calibration of the processor power of the first lots and with the fact that in AGESA 1.0.0.4abba some settings were changed so that the processors reached the declared frequencies. And some processors began to work poorly. But this can be corrected by the settings in the BIOS of the motherboard. I think this is a good solution, but time will tell.

0 Likes
seyhan3535
Journeyman III

Anyone on b450 asrock mini itx having similar issues?

0 Likes
al_sami96
Adept I

Having the same problem with abba and latest BIOS.But no bsod before abba bios.I think it's not the issue with processor but with the motherboard's BIOS.Hopefully a stable bios will come soon.

0 Likes

I have tested my 3600 on two separate motherboards: asus tuf gaming x570-plus and MSI B450 Tomahawk Max.

Results were exactly the same for both motherboards, i.e. whenever I used 1.0.0.3ABBA BIOS (or higher) I experienced constant idle BSODS.

After I replaced my 3600 with 3700x three weeks ago, I haven't had a single BSOD since then, and I'm using the latest BIOS version: Agesa 1.0.0.4 Patch B.

I have RMA'd my 3600 and this was probably my last "adventure" with AMD.

Question is... What should we tell to AMD to be sure they accept RMA procedure!

alex8523
Adept I

Hello! My computer: Aorus x570 pro rev 1.0 motherboard, Bios F11, Ryzen 5 3600, memory 2 x 16 GB G Skill SniperX F4-3600C19-16GSXWB, power supply FSP QDion 700w, NVme ssd ADATA Gammix S11 pro 256 GB, video Radeon R7 240 2GB, Windows 10 64 bit 1909. I get BSOD 1 or 2 times a day, the computer restarts. Moreover, during the minimum load, most often when Windows is locked (exit). I looked at dumps, errors are always different, related to the error of kernel modules. Stress testing of the system passes without errors. I checked the memory in MEMTEST86 V8.3 and found out the following. Tests conducted with disabled overclocking the processor and memory. Errors occur only in test No. 8 (Random number sequence), while I tried the memory from different manufacturers. But if you disable the SMT option in the BIOS, the errors disappear. There are also no errors if you select a mode in the BIOS of 2x2 cores (4 cores, SMT on, 8 threads). And I also noticed that in MEMTEST you can check the kernels individually or sequentially. So individually and sequentially, the kernels work without errors! Problems arise precisely in parallel mode, which is the default. And again, specifically in test No. 8. I changed the power supply and video card to an old ATI 4670 PCI 2.0, there has been no BSOD for a day.

al_sami96
Adept I

We should ask AMD & Motherboard manufacturer that what's the actual problem and the solution of this problem.

alex8523
Adept I

!!!!!! As I wrote above, I had BSOD and problems in MEMTEST on AGESA 1.0.0.4abba. I installed BIOS from AGESA 1.0.0.3ab and the problems with MEMTEST disappeared. I decided to try installing again BIOS from AGESA 1.0.0.4abba and the settings in the BIOS of the motherboard in CPU/VRM SETTINGS:

CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration - Turbo

Vcore SOC Loadline Calibration - Turbo

CPU Vcore Current Protection - High

PWM Phase Control - eXm Perf

With these settings, errors in MEMTEST disappeared. The frequencies of the FSB and NORTH BRIDGE were stabilized. Performance in tests increased by 5%. So far, everything is working fine. Most likely the problems are connected with the calibration of the processor power of the first lots and with the fact that in AGESA 1.0.0.4abba some settings were changed so that the processors reached the declared frequencies. And some processors began to work poorly. But this can be corrected by the settings in the BIOS of the motherboard. I think this is a good solution, but time will tell.

0 Likes
urawazu
Journeyman III

is there a fix for msi b450 motherboards? i have bsods on agesa 1.0.0.4 patch b too

0 Likes
kanu
Journeyman III

Hello I've bought the ryzen 3600 with the asus strix b450 motherboard and i've been getting bsod's since then with multiple stop codes.

I couldn't install windows first and then when it installed it's instable,tried multiple rams(because i had an orange light indicator which's for ram) , updated winndows, the bios, the chipset and even bought the new ryzen "compatible" rams which it seems helped a bit with stability to be honest.

I usually get  the bsod's when installing windows, browsing or on idel.

I've been reading here that it can be a bios issue so if someone here have the same cpu+mb combo can tell me if it's working with the old bios that would be helpful.

It's dissapointing that we buy a new hardware and the first thing you get is bsod's and you have to find the problem, hopefully AMD gives us an answer.

0 Likes

You can download and flash older bios with AGESA AM4 Combo PI 1.0.0.3 Patch AB for your mobo model from ASUS website. But before flashing older bios could you try to change CPU Vcore voltage with positive offset +0.0125V?

0 Likes

I'll try to change the Vcore voltage and report back.

0 Likes

it helped you?

0 Likes

Yes it helped. The thing is even undervolting works. Now we need to konw if it's a cpu issue or the bios is just bad.

I haven't tried the new bios but i've seen that it didnt fixe the problem.

0 Likes

kanu wrote:

Yes it helped. The thing is even undervolting works. Now we need to konw if it's a cpu issue or the bios is just bad.

I haven't tried the new bios but i've seen that it didnt fixe the problem.

The BIOS is known to have issues and eventually an update will be seen.

Check memory and try  a lower speed and see if that is more stable

0 Likes

zukimo wrote:

You can download and flash older bios with AGESA AM4 Combo PI 1.0.0.3 Patch AB for your mobo model from ASUS website. But before flashing older bios could you try to change CPU Vcore voltage with positive offset +0.0125V?

that will not work as 1.0.0.4 is needed for the Ryzen 3000 processors

0 Likes