Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

wamah
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3600's fan shutting off

Hi there guys,

recently I decided to upgrade my GPU and CPU, a friend of mine saw my current setup and recommended me new ones, I've had no problems with the new GPU, but something funky is going on with the new CPU.

He told me to upgrade from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 5 3600, so I did; two days ago I got the package and so that night I installed my new CPU, but when I tried booting my PC it didn't boot, and the MB's led debug was telling me it was the CPU, I asked my friend what could be going on and he told me AMD had rolled out a new BIOS update for the 3000 series' support, so the next day I upgraded the bios and then the PC worked correctly.

I decided to give it a test run playing some League of Legends games. First game was working fine, graphics in very high and it was running very smoothly. Finished one game then started a new one, and after 2 or 3 minutes FPS started sinking (from 200+ to 20 - 30) and there was a lot of staggering; I alt-tabbed out to check the task manager (which took a lot of effort) and see CPU is working around 40% load, I decided to check for drivers and windows updates and such and installed all of them, but then it was late so I turned the PC off and went to sleep. First thing in the morning I run a stress test and monitor the temperature and such, again, no problem at all, 100% load with a maximum of 86ºC. I stop the test and proceed to tell my friend about it, while I'm talking to him I realize temperature is going up until it reached 103ºC but the PC wasn't working on anything, it was iddle, checked the CPU's fan and it wasn't working. I turn my PC off, tell my friend what is happening and after giving it time to cool down, I decide to boot again, and the same thing happens again, starts working fine (same results on the stress test) and a short time later fan goes away and the CPU starts overheating.

Notice I'm using the fan that comes with the CPU, and I've tried using the fan from the previous chip and it does the same thing, so the fan is not the problem I guess. I've also changed the thermal paste a couple of times after wiping both fan and chip. Currently I've switched back to the previous CPU and everything is working as intended. So that's about it, we don't know what could be going on but I'd say the chip is defective. If anyone could help me figure out what is going on, if I'm missing something or I need to configure something, I'd highly appreciate it.

Thank you and sorry for the wall of text!

0 Likes
0 Replies