Processors

Fly1
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3600 rebooting randomly

0 Likes
6 Replies
Meshuggoh
Journeyman III

I'm not an expert... but I think anybody would ask you if you have monitored any temperature and, since you have cleared CMOS, i'm assuming you did tried rams at stock speed at least for troubleshooting?

Try keeping ram sticks where the user manual tells you, usually slot 2 and 4, but trying different modules in different slots was a good call, 1 stick at once in first slot (check user manual again) did the problem persist?

And maybe... I had a faulty reset button many years ago, but reboots were happening in bios as well for me, sooo... it's a maybe... but did you tried booting the system without the front panel plugged in? 

The best you can narrow down where the problem is, the better... Hope something shows up

0 Likes

Yes, I have monitored the temps and they're fine. I have tried with XMP on and off. I considered the possibility of the restart button but it seems very unlikely. I will try it just in case though.

I just ran several passes of memtest86 and passed with 0 errors. It ran for several hours and did not reboot there once.

0 Likes

try lower ram to 3200 , 3600 is overclocking ... if ok with 3200 try raising a little voltage of ram maybe if you want absolutely to have 3600

memtest won't always detect error if ram is not faulty and causing reboot only on certain conditions (for exemple pc at idle or just browsing etc)

whatever , i find it better when i run my ram 3200 vs 3600 , some games seems smoother to me (even if fps are the same in benchmarks)...in fact i have 4x4400 ram running 3200 cl14 ram , even if i can set stable at 3600cl16 , i made some tests and prefere where they are 3200

0 Likes

if he tried xmp off and still had the issue that ram kit is running lower than 3000mhz, 2333mhz if i'm correct, so i wouldn't bother about stability at that low frequency... i would bother if my ram is faulty and can't keep my system stable with xmp off and default speed, but it's more likely that memtest would catch something at that point... so sure, if you can borrow from somebody another kit of ram and want to be sure.... :)

I'm thinking about the power supply instead, but i don't know how to test it if not with the method up above...

0 Likes

right , i read too fast sometime , got to buy glasses lol

but whatever , until problem solved , i would not try to use ram at > 3200 to avoid adding problems to the research (i know depending on bios > 3200 can cause random crash at idle even after 1 day without crash for example )

so then , maybe psu , but 600w should be sufficent (?) except if too old ? or faulty ?
except that i don't know , will have to test some part separately maybe

starting from older parts i would say if you have some aging ... even the power plug can be the cause , or electrical power off from electrical plug , do you have a inverter ?

0 Likes
Fly1
Journeyman III

In result of my testing, I think the PSU is bad. It's pretty old and never was high end. 600W definitely is enough though. I bought a new PSU and I will let you know if this solved it.

0 Likes