Processors

redteam6
Elite

Re: Ryzen 5 3600 Random BSODs and Resets

oh yeah good catch

doctorshepard
Adept I

Thanks guys for all the help. After wanting to take a break from troubleshooting this, I connected up my old HP prebuilt with some proprietary HP intel motherboard and a GTX 660 in it to game a little. Out of curiosity, I ran driver verifier on that machine as well and again only selected the nvlddmkm.sys driver to see if it would have the same behavior as my custom built machine. And wouldn't you know it, the prebuilt also crashes around 8 minutes in. Completely different machine has the same driver verifier crashes with the nvidia driver. So at this point I was stunned and asked my brother, who has his own Intel machine with a GTX 1060, to run the same verifier test, and once again his system also crashes around 8 minutes in. So it seems like this verifier test that I have been using to see if my random resets and BSODs are gone wouldn't have worked no matter what I did, it must just be some weird thing with Windows and this driver that don't like each other? For anyone else who wants to try the same test, I ran driver verifier with all settings selected except the DDI compliance checking and only selected the nvlddmkm.sys driver. I guess I will just have to actually use my machine normally for a few weeks to see if the random BSODs are gone now. I will let you know if anything pops up guys, thanks so much again for the help.

And yeah I had tried running the PCIe slot in Gen 3 mode, disabled all the non-Microsoft services and all the startups through the Clean Windows Desktop, and set the whole BIOs to default. None of those helped, although as per above, I don't think anything would have fixed this verifier crash.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Good troubleshooting.

Sounds like a bug either in Windows or Nvidia Driver causing it to crash in Driver verifier.

Unfortunately, it mislead me completely in giving you troubleshooting suggestions.

Maybe if you have time you might want to notify both Microsoft Support and Nvidia Support about what you have found out.

I don't know if what you found can be replicated by Microsoft or Nvidia, but if it is a common bug than any Users with Nvidia drivers using Driver Verifier will be fooled into thinking the same thing you did.

Have a nice day and take care.

0 Likes
betogaro
Journeyman III

Hi, man. ¿Have you resolve it? I've the same problem as you. Please contact me. 

0 Likes
liberumanimum
Adept I

I got the same problem as well, i'm about to sell my cpu.
Idk what else to do at this point...

0 Likes
betogaro
Journeyman III

I gave it to warranty and they changed the cpu for a new one. "Factory error". (sorry for my english). If you have chance, use the warranty...

liberumanimum
Adept I

I sill do, but i have to wait 30-40 days, that's why i will sell it.
Thanks for info and advice.

0 Likes
Mikkhntl
Journeyman III

This is sounding depressingly similar to what I was suffering with the MSI x470 gaming plus and Ryzen 5 3600 combo PC I recently built.  It seems to be definitely graphics card related and I was on the verge of an RMA or two when I tried a last desperate move of putting an old Radeon HD 5770 (1 GB) in it.

No more random crashes/shutdowns just a working PC at last after it refused to behave with a GTX 660 TI, a GTX 760 and another lesser Nvidia card I had in my spares.  I'm not a gamer and had no reason to build such a powerful PC, apart from wanting to and having a bit of spare cash for once.  So while i'm waiting for the current crazy prices and availabilty of graphic cards to settle down, this is an acceptable limbo situation for me at the moment. 

Obviously using an old card won't suit gamers and I envisage a whole lot of new pain when I do get round to buying a more modern one. My best option is to swap the CPU for a Ryzen 5 3400G, which is what I was going to do till Curry's (and other dealers) slapped a £40 increase on the G CPU's.

I should also mention I'm an IT tech and have built dozens, possibly hundreds of PC's over the last 30 years, so I've checked the obvious and not so obvious things many times. I'm also a long term Linux user but decided to put Windows 10 on first just out of curiosity more than anything, but quickly discarded it when the problems started happening. Currently running MX Linux with no problems. I can't even sell it with a clear conscience, so I'm looking for a long term fix too, but I'm hoping the 3400G will do that and I can sell it as a light gamer.

0 Likes
lexazan
Journeyman III

Struggling with the same issues myself. Random BSODs occur every few hours. That is my wife PC, but she wasn't using it much as still has all her stuff on an old machine, never had time to move to the new one completely, but it was connected to the same monitors via secondary input and used mostly to run some VMs. The most annoying thing is those BSODs can't be replicated, I just have to turn it on and wait for them to happen. The system was running fine for few month, at least she hasn't noticed any issues, and probably all started after another windows update (But could be that those BSODs were happening before that, just rarely so none notices as PC was barely used ). So far tried: Memtest - all good; BIOS update to the latest version; GPU swap from 7970 to 00% working 7950; PSU swap, tried different GPU/chipset/other stuff drivers, disabled VMware virtual network adapters. Tried booting from Ubuntu live CD - had some kernel crashes with 7970 for some reason but after swapping to 7950 it was working just fine, at least for few hours. But, when booted back to windows got BSOD again overnight, so probably not related.

Will try clean windows install on spare SSD and will also check the PCI-e bios setting. 

0 Likes
lexazan
Journeyman III

Ok, just got BSOD 5 mins after clean windows install on a new SSD. Haven't even managed to download AMD chipset and GPU drivers. The hunt continues... 

Current specs btw:

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI X570-A PRO (Bios: 7C37cHE)

2x 16GB Corsar CMK16GX4M1A2666C16 RAM sticks

Radeon 7950 

Windows 10 Pro (Build 19042)

ADATA SX8200 PRO 1TB SSD

Toshiba HDWE140 4TB HDD

0 Likes