cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rcrowe
Journeyman III

ryzen 5 3600 pbo crashing

So ever since i built this pc back in april of 2019 whenever i enable pbo my system will randomly restart its self with no error message, not even a bsod just black and restart. my temps are always good 60 or so degrees in a game, so it shouldn't be that. any ideas on what might be going on? I really don't need it but it's bothering me that it doesn't work properly. my specs as follows and all drivers are up to date
psu: Seasonic Focus Plus Series SSR-550FX 550W 80+ Gold
cpu: Ryzen 5 3600
mobo: asus strix b450 gamiing f
ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB CMK16GX4M2D3000C16
gfx: sapphire nitro+ rx580 4gb
1 Reply

PBO is by AMD's definition considered an overclock but IMHO really is not. PBO only makes the boost algorithm already built into Ryzen more aggressive. It doesn't increase the speed you can boost to. 

What you may have is a cpu that barely made the validation to be a 3600 chip and turning on PBO makes it unstable. It can also be that turning on PBO brings out flaws in other components like memory chips that are not at correct timings, are bad or are not on the boards QVL list. 

PBO will actually make the CPU use a little bit more power. In your case your GPU is already using a Power Supply that is minimum spec for that card. So a little more power may be pushing that over the systems stability edge. 

You could RMA that chip with AMD, just don't tell them you used PBO as it does void your warranty. 

Before doing that try a few things.

Reset the bios to defaults.

Run one stick of memory at a time and see if one is more stable vs the other. Also make sure the timings are being applied correctly. If your memory is not validated for your board then it may not be setting the timing right requiring you to do this manually.

Test your Power Supply with OCCT from ocbase_com. See if that finds any physical problems with the CPU. You do have a quality power supply so likely it isn't a power supply issue but always worth checking. 

0 Likes