Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

larcklorn
Adept I

Ryzen 5 3600 not booting with ASRock b450m Pro4

I purchased the following new for my HTPC:
* Ryzen 5 3600 100-000000031
* Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G32C16U4B
* Gigabyte 1650 Super GPU
* ASRock b450m Pro4

The CPU hangs at the boot screen with the ASRock logo and BIOS commands. No keyboard interaction at all and will not boot to Win10 64bit.

I had a Ryzen 5 2400g CPU in another PC and swapped them out - boots just fine - so I validated the BIOS version (p3.90) and upgraded the appropriate software to support all of the new hardware.

Then did the following:
* Reset BIOS by pulling the battery
* Tested RAM in different slots (A2/B2 is current placement)
* Returned and replaced the b450m board with amazon
* Repeated above steps and still hung at the boot screen
* Returned the CPU for a new Ryzen 5 3600 - still same issue
* Downloaded and installed the 3.90 bios again

All updates, changes, and fixes I have done lead to the same thing. The 3600 chip hangs at the boot screen and my other CPU allows the system to boot with no issues. I cannot believe that I was sent 2 bad CPUs in a row. Is there anything I am missing to try?

Update and Fix: Thank you to everone for the comments. Based on your feedback and other forums I took this way back to basics and unplugged everything down to only the motherboard/GPU/1 stick of RAM (no SATA - nothing) and reset the BIOS with the battery, unplugged the power cable and discharged the system by pressing the power button for 30 seconds. This allowed me to get into the BIOS and start working through each element 1 by 1. I worked through the items and was able to successfully install both sticks of RAM, the 2nd hard drive, all usb elements and then came across a tv capture card in PCIe slot and the HD Autio connection cable. I think the culprit is the PCIe card, but no idea why. With the 3600 just hangs, but with the 2400g it would still boot to windows. At any rate I have removed that element and now able to report that I am all good.

11 Replies