Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

larcklorn
Adept I

Ryzen 5 3600 not booting with ASRock b450m Pro4

I purchased the following new for my HTPC:
* Ryzen 5 3600 100-000000031
* Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G32C16U4B
* Gigabyte 1650 Super GPU
* ASRock b450m Pro4

The CPU hangs at the boot screen with the ASRock logo and BIOS commands. No keyboard interaction at all and will not boot to Win10 64bit.

I had a Ryzen 5 2400g CPU in another PC and swapped them out - boots just fine - so I validated the BIOS version (p3.90) and upgraded the appropriate software to support all of the new hardware.

Then did the following:
* Reset BIOS by pulling the battery
* Tested RAM in different slots (A2/B2 is current placement)
* Returned and replaced the b450m board with amazon
* Repeated above steps and still hung at the boot screen
* Returned the CPU for a new Ryzen 5 3600 - still same issue
* Downloaded and installed the 3.90 bios again

All updates, changes, and fixes I have done lead to the same thing. The 3600 chip hangs at the boot screen and my other CPU allows the system to boot with no issues. I cannot believe that I was sent 2 bad CPUs in a row. Is there anything I am missing to try?

Update and Fix: Thank you to everone for the comments. Based on your feedback and other forums I took this way back to basics and unplugged everything down to only the motherboard/GPU/1 stick of RAM (no SATA - nothing) and reset the BIOS with the battery, unplugged the power cable and discharged the system by pressing the power button for 30 seconds. This allowed me to get into the BIOS and start working through each element 1 by 1. I worked through the items and was able to successfully install both sticks of RAM, the 2nd hard drive, all usb elements and then came across a tv capture card in PCIe slot and the HD Autio connection cable. I think the culprit is the PCIe card, but no idea why. With the 3600 just hangs, but with the 2400g it would still boot to windows. At any rate I have removed that element and now able to report that I am all good.

11 Replies
larcklorn
Adept I

Just tried to do the AMD chipset driver installs and no luck there either.

I was looking at your B450M pro4 motherboard QVL list and I couldn't find the RAM number you posted: ASRock > B450M Pro4 

Try using only one RAM Stick on each of the motherboard's Memory slots and see if it boots in any of the 4 slots.

Crucial on its website says your RAM is 100% compatible with your motherboard but it may not be compatible with Matisse Processors. At least with 2 RAM Sticks installed: Crucial Ballistix 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Desktop Gaming Memory (Black) | BL2K8G32C16U4B | Cruc... https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asrock/b450m-pro4

Another User here at AMD Forum had something similar. His computer wouldn't boot up with a 3rd generation Matisse but did with a 2nd generation Summit Ridge processor installed.

The RAM he was using was listed for the 2nd generation Ryzen but not for the 3rd Generation Ryzen under the Pinnacle RAM QVL List. ASRock doesn't have a Matisse QVL List but told the User to use the Pinnacle RAM List for Matisse.

Found out that it would boot up with only one stick of RAM but not with two after trying more than one Memory slot on the Motherboard. He tried first on A2 Slot and it didn't boot up but it did boot up on B2 Memory Slot.

Yes the issue sound similar. However when AMD claims your board is compatible with new Processor you should not have to get new ram. In general the memory companies do a better job validating boards than the board makers do in validating memory sticks. More like you either have a bad stick of ram or AMD needs to fix their bios. 

Either way a bad situation for the end user. 

The idea of a memory issue is sound however, but before deciding it is bad, absolutely boot one stick at a time and see. In addition to that contact Crucial and ask them exactly what timing should be used. If they are not being set automatically, you can set the timings manually. 

Don't start assuming stuff is bad or not compatible without a bit more homework. 

Talked with Crucial chat support and the timings are 16-18-18 - my motherboard is set to auto - should I change anything?

0 Likes

You need to see what timings auto is setting by using a utility that will report the settings, like cpuz. Or just go ahead and set the timings manually and see if it helps. 

It certainly is possible you just got a bad CPU. 

0 Likes

Ok - any thoughts on CPU (for the 3600) and DRAM voltages. Currently on auto with the 2400g its the following:

CPU: MHz (3600), Voltage VID (1.45000), SOC Voltage (Auto)

DDR4 - Set XMP to the 3200 16-18-18-36 1.35V which updates the setting from 20-19-19-19-43 and changes voltage from 1.20 to 1.35

Any other changes I should consider in the BIOS?

0 Likes

FYI - any changes I make to the timings with XMP or without just seem to fail and reset the bios - its so weird.

0 Likes

Tried it in the A2 and B2 positions and same result. Just sits at the ASRock screen - no keyboard commands - nothing. Cant even get a USB boot drive to work. I have a set of GeIL EVO SPEAR 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model GSB416GB3000C16ADC - but they are not on the pinaccle list either. Its just so odd that one CPU will work fine and the other will not with everything else the same.

I will send an email to crucial and ask them their thoughts, but honestly just assumed it couldnt be the RAM because the other CPU worked - that of course is probably ignorance on my part.

Any other next steps I should try?

0 Likes
mccharle
Elite

Hello larcklorn,

did you try with DRAM manual settings on BIOS ?

A-XMP enabled and forcing speed to 2133MHz aka default standard speed ?

0 Likes

I set xmp and then 16-18-18-36 at 3200. Should I do something different?

0 Likes

Try with A-XMP enable and DRAM freq manual forced to 2133MHz and the same without A-XMP enabled, sometimes A-XMP and auto configuration DRAM on bios don't find the good timings for the CPU. In my case, bios with AGESA 1.0.0.4 can't recognize my DRAM 3600MHz but manually I did to start at 3533MHz. With my latest bios AGESA 1.0.0.5, all works fine with auto and A-XMP.

All DDR4 should be compliant with 2133MHz standard. If you can boot at this frequencies, you can use your computer and wait for the new bios or try to up step by step the frequency.

Good luck

0 Likes