Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

natefox815
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3600 Idle Voltage Still Won't Settle

MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi

Ryzen 5 3600

I've been fighting temps and idle voltages for a while now. The only thing I can do to make the idle voltage settle at anything lower than 1.38V is to set the max processor state to 99% in power plan settings, but surely that's throttling performance. I have the most recent chipset drivers from AMD and most recent BIOS from MSI. I'm running the Ryzen Balanced power plan (which defaulted at 99% min state and 100% max state). Voltage control is set to auto in BIOS. I'm watching it with CPU-Z, and all other monitoring programs are closed (NZXT CAM, iCUE, Ryzen Master, Dragon Center, and HWMonitor). 

My max temps are 85C while gaming, but only under a 30-40% load. I realize this is acceptable for this chip, but I'm more concerned with the idle voltage never dropping. What else can I do?

0 Likes
2 Replies
papoulka
Adept I

Having 1.4V at idle seems fine.  That's what my 3900X does, dropping to about 1.2V under load.

I'm wondering why you're seeing 85C when gaming, which would only make sense if you're using the stock Wraith Prism cooler and also have relatively poor case ventilation.  If you want to address that, look at "Load Line Calibration" (in the BIOS DigitALL power menu).  It defaults to 'Auto' which is about the same as its 'Mode 3'.  Setting it to 'Mode 8' will cause this useless "feature" to do the least possible harm.

BTW, while I have no personal experience with them, just based on web comments seen I would completely remove NZXT Cam, ICUE, and Dragon Center.  Especially if I suspected anything wrong.  Revo Uninstaller freeware is great for that.

0 Likes

Yes your voltage is fine.  

85C for gaming is too hot though as your CPU will be thermal throttling and losing some peak performance.  

Try re-seating your cooler and apply new thermal paste as it sounds like it either isn't seated properly  or making proper contact.  

I have a Ryzen 3700X with the stock Wraith Prism

cooler and gaming temperatures are between 63-70C. 

Andy

0 Likes