cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

thludwig
Adept I

Ryzen 5 3600 & HTC Vive Wireless...does it work in your setup and what combination do you have?

Hi everybody.

When I started with a PC 1992 I had an Intel 486, then a Pentium. Don't know exactly when I turned towards AMD processors but it didn't take very long.

Right now I have a FX-8320 and I bought a wireless adapter for my HTC Vive (the original one, no Pro or even larger). I found out that the 8320 is too weak to run it. Smaller games are OK but Paranormal Activity isn't good to play already.

I decided to buy a new CPU and leaned towards Ryzen 5-3600. But I found that there are problems with Ryxzen processors and the wireless adapter (esp. the PCIe-card from Intel, you have to install in your PC). This was stated in 2018. You will find lots of articles about that in the net.

Then I read that the new 3xxx Ryzens didn't have that problem. The support people at HTC say that the problems still exist due to 'some' chipsets for AM4-sockets and the recommend to buy a Intel CPU instead.

I don't want to spend more money for less performance.

So...is anybody here using a Ryzen CPU with the HTC Vive wireless adapter and is satisfied? If so, may I ask your combination? :-)

Thanks, I hope somebody can point me to a working mainboard. I really don't want to go back to Intel processors

Thorsten

0 Likes
5 Replies

Supposingly, HTC, AMD, & Intel came out with a work around Hot Fix to help the Intel Adapter be more compatible with Ryzen processors as per this Tom's Hardware article: Vive Investigating Wireless Adapter Issues with Ryzen Processors | Tom's Hardware 

The first step towards solving the problem was made on April 25 when HTC released a hotfix for the issue to version 1.20190410.0 of the Vive Wireless Adapter Connection Utility. (Which can be installed by hitting the "Update now" button within the Connection Utility itself.) We suspect a more permanent solution will arrive eventually, but at least now AMD users who bore with the adapter's issues should have a better experience.

But I read some Users weren't very happy with the performance even with the Hot fix - Mixed reviews by Users.

thludwig
Adept I

Thanks for your reply! 

I also found this article on Tom's Hardware, and it's already almost 1 year old, nothing new since then.

Here is the said article about the 3xxx processors working with Vive Wireless:

We've spoken specifically with HTC Vive representatives on the matter and have been given full assurance of compatibility with AMD's latest fantastic CPUs.

PSA: Yes, AMD's Ryzen 3000 Series Works Perfectly With VR Headsets 

And this is the answer I received from HTC when I asked them about the problems:

I want you to know that the compatibility issue with the wireless adapter and AMD processor is mainly related to the AMD AM4/TR4 socket based motherboards. The Wireless Adapter might work with some AMD chipsets but we cannot assure you exactly which one of them will work and it's possible you still face some issues. That's why we recommend you get an Intel processor if you are want to use the Vive Wireless Adapter without any issues. 

So, what HTC Vive representatives did they speak to??

So I think the problem is not the CPU but the chipset on the mainboard with AM4 socket.

Might be a good idea to ask a mainboard manufacturer if they can tell a working mainboard??

What do you think?

It's really difficult these days, with millions of different CPU/GPU/Mainboard-types and variations 

Try downloading AMD's latest CHIPSET drivers from AMD Download page and see if if makes your HTC Vive work better from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support 

Right now I don't have such a mainboard. I want to buy a new one and want to find out if there is a mainboard with AM4 socket that is supposed to work with Vive Wireless :-)

But I will keep your link in mind. I guess not all mainboards have the newest bios version when they are sold.

I decided to write to Gigabyte, if they have knowledge of a working mainboard. I will tell here when I get news.

Cheers

Thorsten

LexDK
Adept I

Hi,

I had the same problem when i tried it.

I discovered that i could make it work if i used a pci lane from the cpu directly.

but the only ones that i had that had direct to the cpu var the x16 (for gpu) and a m.2..

so got a m.2 convertor and connected it to that and it worked.

sadly most pci goes trough chipset and they game me the problems.

0 Likes