cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

movista
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3600 high temperature with stock cooler and stock settings

Hello, i just upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600 and I had very high temps with the stock settings that the mb came with (b450m mortar max). I updated to the latest bios version, i also did what everyone said that it will help with the high temps. Still nothing. I remounted the cooler and added thermal paste, so this can't be the issue. I tested it in cinebench r20 and got 95+ degrees with PBO dissabled. Now i run it with core performance boost off and the temps are in 60-70 range but i am stuck at 3.6 ghz (i attached a picture). I just want to ask what could i do to go past 4.0 ghz and my temps to remain stable. I also got very high idle temps with Core Performance Boost on (50-70 degrees).

0 Likes
14 Replies
twerkthatboot
Adept II

Hi movista,

Ryzen 3000 series processors run a little hotter than expected and you will see a temperature spike anywhere from 40-60 degrees on even idle but reaching temps above 95 degrees is a lot.

Please do not disable the core performance boost. Core performance boost allows your processor to boost to it's rated box speeds(4.2Ghz), disabling it would only allow it to boost to it's base clock i.e. 3.6Ghz.

Open Ryzen Master and select the "Creator Profile" on the left panel. Enable and run Cinebench R20 and post results with temps, clockspeed and voltages.

For temps and voltages HWinfo64 is a good monitoring software but Ryzen Master would work too. 

0 Likes
movista
Journeyman III

Thank you for your reply twerk, i will try that and i will add a picture, let me know what you think.

0 Likes

It indeed is running a little hotter than expected. Is PBO/Auto-overclocking(Should be at the top set to default) turned on in the Creator Mode profile? Are you also using the stock cooler? 

I need you to find these settings in the BIOS and change them.

(Please perform a benchmark noting the temps and clock speeds at least twice to get a good baseline to see if this affects your performance at all)

• Global C-state control = Enabled
  • Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
  • CPPC = Enabled
  • CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
  • AMD Cool'n'quiet = Enabled
  • PPC Adjustment = PState 0

Can you confirm if this is your BIOS version? - 7B89v26

0 Likes
movista
Journeyman III

Hello again, i activated Core Performance Boost now, again, temps of 95 degrees in cinebench r20. I also activated xmp from bios. (ram is corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 mhz CL16) (I attached a picture of Ryzen Master).

I don't know if it something wrong with the cooler or if a new cooler will improve the temps. Currently the idle temps are alright at about 40-60 degrees with spikes as high as 70, but not very often. The high temps in load is what i think is the problem.

cinebench.jpgThank you in advance.

0 Likes

based on the problem, i suggest checking for a BIOS update for your motherboard 

chances are there is an update that will solve some if not all of your problems

0 Likes
dontcrybehappy
Journeyman III

have you found a solution to this because I'm having similar problems on 2 separate computers

0 Likes
samsagaz
Journeyman III

I have the same issue

CPU - Ryzen 3600
MB - Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite

Idle are like 50c

Reach 95c in Ryzen Master.

What can i do? Im a little scared about the life of the cpu at so high temps!

ryzen.jpg

0 Likes

bro there's really no "fix" apart from ... buying a new, better, cooler  
you can do this *pic* however that's just a temporary fix until u get a cooler cuz at this point u're no longer getting the 4200 u paid for... ofc u can try different values and figure out what works best for u... with these settings I never really got above 65C while gaming and usually around 40 while idle which ofc isn't the best thing ever but it's certainly better than hitting 90+  as I said I only used this for a little bit, I've since that got a new cooler and it's running at pretty low temps even while using that precision boost while I'm gamingpastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

Oh, i asked because see some post where people say that no improvement are noticed after change for another cooler :/

i dont want to spend 50-60USD in purchase another cooler, im not happy with this CPU :/

Maybe will try to sell it and purchase an intel one.

0 Likes

get some mx-4 which is better quality and makes any cooler more effective

0 Likes

Purchased MX-4 and still reaching the 95max degree after just one run of cinebench!

I dont want to use my CPU at Max temp, im a little scared.

Is possible to send it to RMA or get some refund to purchase an Intel or another AMD?

0 Likes

most put way too much TIM on the CPU, use a very tiny amount about 1/2 of a BB worth

0 Likes

Please read the post I made below and try undervolting to see what results it yields you. Get back with before and after results to further provide you with a better solution. 

samsagaz

Cheers

0 Likes
twerkthatboot
Adept II

Alright boys,

After months of endless research, testing and trials on multiple Ryzen 3000 series processors, I've arrived at a "solution" of sorts at least, for battling high temps on average coolers. 

Undervolting. 

Hang on, I know it sounds ridiculous but trust me, I've scoured the web and tried many things to make my own processor run cooler on a budget and the best solution is to undervolt it.

Now there are cons to undervolting but I believe them to be outweighed by the overall slight gain in performance while maintaining non hellish temps.

For explanation sake let's say you own a Ryzen 3xxx with a base clock 4.4Ghz and a base clock of 3.8Ghz.

I'll start with the cons of undervolting

-After undervolting your processor will NOT be able to hit the boost clock of 4.4Ghz! The processor will see a slight decline in the max boost clock. It might just come down to 4.35Ghz or 4.3Ghz but it will see a decline surely. In all honesty, 3000 series processors only hit the "boost clocks" for literally milliseconds on ONE or TWO cores and only when the PC is idling which renders them useless when it comes to workloads.

**that's all of them**

Pros

-Undervolting will allow your processor to fetch lower voltage for bursty idle workloads which in turn would make it run cooler, significantly

-Undervolting helps keep the overall temps of your processor down allowing you to have a higher all core speed during gaming or workloads.

**my own undervolt** 

I've simply chosen to go for a 0.1v offset that has helped me boost to 4.1Ghz all core at a max temperature of 63C. Idle temps are also significantly lower(42-51C with a room temp of 27C). I've run several benchmarks and undervolting always, significantly has gains until it comes to single core tests where it seems to falter. I've also noticed that setting an offset has now rendered my processor to not be able to boost above 4570Mhz. So I guess that's a drawback but all in all, it's running cooler and quieter with slightly more "real" world performance. 

Hope this helps.

0 Likes