cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bobrazowski2
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3600 : High load voltages, is it normal ?

Hi,

With my stock MB (Gigabyte B450 X Gaming) settings (and PBO off), I see some high voltages using HWinfo64, when the processor is under full load (cinebench, occt stress tests).

I know that high voltages at idle are normal.

When all the cores hit 100% usage, I see the Vcore running from 1.34v to 1.38v. (max temp : 69°C, 4100 Mhz)

I've heard that exceeding 1.325v under full load can be dangerous, so my question is :

Should I worry about those voltages ? 

I should precise that all my drivers are up to date, MB bios version is f50.

Thanks for your help !

0 Likes
4 Replies

Thats normal, would also recomend using Ryzen Master instead for monitoring temps and voltages on zen 2 CPUs as its more accurate.

If you think its still too high for comfort for you then you should definitely check out the new clock tuner that 1usmus is planing to release next month specifically for zen 2 CPUs.

0 Likes
twerkthatboot
Adept II

Hi,

If your processor is fetching for those voltages automatically(i.e. on stock settings) then it's completely normal and safe.

Regardless, I made a post earlier regarding thermals and performance which I feel could help you solve the fear of cooking your processor. Have a read and let me know. I still strongly believe that your processor falls under the safe voltage category.

After months of endless research, testing and trials on multiple Ryzen 3000 series processors, I've arrived at a "solution" of sorts at least, for battling high temps on average coolers. 

Undervolting. 

Hang on, I know it sounds ridiculous but trust me, I've scoured the web and tried many things to make my own processor run cooler on a budget and the best solution is to undervolt it.

Now there are cons to undervolting but I believe them to be outweighed by the overall slight gain in performance while maintaining non hellish temps.

For explanation sake let's say you own a Ryzen 3xxx with a base clock 4.4Ghz and a base clock of 3.8Ghz.

I'll start with the cons of undervolting

-After undervolting your processor will NOT be able to hit the boost clock of 4.4Ghz! The processor will see a slight decline in the max boost clock. It might just come down to 4.35Ghz or 4.3Ghz but it will see a decline surely. In all honesty, 3000 series processors only hit the "boost clocks" for literally milliseconds on ONE or TWO cores and only when the PC is idling which renders them useless when it comes to workloads.

**that's all of them**

Pros

-Undervolting will allow your processor to fetch lower voltage for bursty idle workloads which in turn would make it run cooler, significantly

-Undervolting helps keep the overall temps of your processor down allowing you to have a higher all core speed during gaming or workloads.

**my own undervolt** 

I've simply chosen to go for a 0.1v offset that has helped me boost to 4.1Ghz all core at a max temperature of 63C. Idle temps are also significantly lower(42-51C with a room temp of 27C). I've run several benchmarks and undervolting always, significantly has gains until it comes to single core tests where it seems to falter. I've also noticed that setting an offset has now rendered my processor to not be able to boost above 4570Mhz. So I guess that's a drawback but all in all, it's running cooler and quieter with slightly more "real" world performance. 

Hope this helps.

could you describe in detail all the actions performed in the BIOS, as well as in the system (if any)

0 Likes
bobrazowski2
Journeyman III

Thanks for your help !

I guess new generation Cpus need higher voltages to run correctly..

Concerning the undervolt, I've tried to put a negative 0.072v offset once, but the result was the opposite of what I expected : Voltages were even higher at full load (1.39v - 1.4v Cinebench). But the temps were lowered. I don't know what to think about it...

I found that fixing a PPT limit to 75W was a good solution, as the voltage was around 1.26v and my boost clock at 4.1Ghz under full load. With that setting, I was able to hit a 3650 cinebench r20 score.

0 Likes