cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ryzen 5 3600 Crashing during low loads

Hi all,

So about 7 weeks ago I built my first gaming PC. It ran fine for about 4 weeks but would crash randomly every 2-3 days. It would turn off, restart, and run fine for another few days. After about 4 weeks, it died 2x in a row, and got stuck in a boot loop. In the weeks following since then, I've tried literally everything to get it sorted. I've replaced all parts apart from MOBO/PSU, I've clean installed windows/all drivers etc. Nothing seems to have fixed it. 

Here's my IMGUR with a few videos of the different types of errors/screens/crashes I was getting during the boot loop period: https://imgur.com/user/davidsmoth42 

After rebuilding the PC last Friday, the boot looping has stopped and I can now get into my desktop. It seems to only run smoothly when gaming. If I stop gaming, my PC crashes and reboots itself. Currently, I can use the computer for hours when gaming, but if I stop gaming and browse the internet for a short while the PC crashes showing Kernel Power 41 in the event viewer, but with no blue screens. It just turns off and comes straight back on again with no BSoD.

Can anyone advise what the issue might be/how to fix this? I’ve tried calling repair people and no one has been able to help me. I’ve spent about 12,107 hours searching online, YouTube, forums etc, with about 20 Reddit posts and I’m still yet to find any solutions. 

Specs:

• Ryzen 5 3600

• Gigabyte 5700XT OC 8GB

• 2x8 GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance C16

• Corsair TX650M

• B450 Tomahawk Max

• 1TB M.2 SSD.

Things I’ve tried

• Complete rebuild

• Different GPU

• Clean restore Windows

• Remove/Reinstall all drivers

• Different RAM/1 stick/different slots

• Check all connections

• Hard drive health checker

Nothing seems to have fixed it. I thought the motherboard/PSU might have been at fault - but I can play games for many hours with 0 issues at all. The issues only happen when I stop gaming and start doing things that are low load.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
18 Replies

Try setting in UEFI Setting:

Power supply idle control is a motherboard setting for older (or cheaper) power supplies. ... So Idle control is used

when your computer actually powers off instead of going to sleep on idle - it sets the threshold of low power draw at idle to like 7.5w so it won't trigger the PSU to turn off.

change a configuration that should be in [Advanced CPU Settings] called [Power Supply Idle Control] and change the value to [Typical Current Idle]?

This is a new UEFI Setting that prevents Ryzen processors from crashing while in the idle state.

If the above UEFI Setting doesn't fix your crashes you might consider opening a AMD Warranty Request and see what they suggest from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form 

Hi.

In my B450 Tomahawk Max BIOS, I don't seem to have that setting.

Under overclocking > Advanced CPU configuration, my options are:

Precision boost overdrive [Auto]

LN2 Mode 1 [Auto]

LN2 Mode 2 [Auto]

CPU VDD_SoC Current optimisation [Auto]

Core Performance Boost [Auto]

CPU CCD Control [Auto]

CPU Core Control [Auto]

SMT Control [Auto]

cTDP limit control [Auto]

Package Power Limit [Auto]

Are any of these the settings I need to change?

0 Likes

Any idea how to change this on a B450 Tomahawk Max?

0 Likes

Seems like not all Ryzen Motherboards that uses 3rd Generation AMD processors has that option or setting in UEFI/BIOS.

Many times MSI has BETA UEFI/BIOS versions that they may recommend in certain situations.

I see MSI does have a BETA BIOS to update from just two days ago: Support For B450 TOMAHAWK MAX | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global :

(Check to see if that BIOS settings is included in this new UEFI/BIOS version):

Also update your MSI AMD CHIPSET first before updating to the latest MSI UEFI/BIOS verison:

For now just leave those UEFI Settings that you posted in "Auto" unless another User with a similar Motheroboard suggests how to configure those settings for a more stable Ryzen.

I suggest that you open a MSI Support ticket and AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and see what they recommend: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form  if after updating your UEFI and CHIPSET doesn't resolve your problem.

0 Likes

I tried speaking to AMD support and they told me it sounded like a faulty CPU and to RMA it. I RMA'd it and the problem persists.

I'm worried about doing a BIOS update incase the crash happens when updating and completely destroys the board by crashing mid update!  

I don't blame you about your concern about updating the BIOS on the Motherboard if you believe it might lose power during the process.

Has the computer ever crashed while you were in UEFI/BIOS? 

According to your manual you can update the BIOS using a USB Flash drive while in BIOS:

I have attached your Motherboard's Manual in case you are interested in looking at it.

0 Likes

Seems problem.. doesnt go away after change parameter to Typical

Only flash to agesa 1.0.0.5.

PCI-e powersaving disabling in windows powerplan maybe change that effect (reboot + kernel 41 error in the journal)

On our motherboards, this parameter on this place.

MSI_SnapShot_07.jpg

0 Likes
seblg
Adept I

Hi, I 've just build my pc and have exactly the same problem! can play games for an hour and then restart same as if trigger the power button and have the vga led stay on during the restart. I've find the solution above and set it in my bios , hope it 'll solve the issue. Please let me know if it fix yours

andyb13
Journeyman III

Hi

I have been getting this issue for about a month

I have a MSI MB with a Ryzen 3600 and 16GB memory

I have now got a stable system by using the MSI Dragon software and setting to extreme performance

this also sets windows power plan to Ultimate performance

this has stopped my PC from crashing every 10/20 mins when idle

The other way I stopped my PC from crashing was to use CPUID CPU-Z and run the CPU stress on 2 cores

while this run the system did not crash

I think this is a compatibility issue between windows and AMD in the power plan

I've tried this but it seems to skyrocket my CPU fans to a consistent 100%. I'm using cool master 212 black edition with freshly applied thermal paste. Is this sustainable? To be running at this level at ALL times?

0 Likes
conradiscool
Journeyman III

Registered to share that I've been experiencing the same trials as you, macdaddy. I have scoured the internet for solutions, finding that so many others are having issues with Ryzen + new motherboards.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600x and a ASUS X570-PLUS (WIFI) motherboard that I'm having identical issues with. I'm having the motherboard RMA'd, but I'm starting to think that the issue could be compatibility with the processor as well.

I've jumped through all the hoops with no solution as well. I've been in the BIOS so much I know it like the back of my hand.

To add: I'm experiencing crashes even in my BIOS. It's driving me crazy.

0 Likes

Still having the same issues, nothing has been fixed even with the latest driver update. Unfortunately I have no idea what to do anymore. The merchant is refusing a RMA, AMD have said they can't help, Gigabyte are not replying to my emails. 

I spent £400 on a GPU that is literally unusable! 

0 Likes
conradiscool
Journeyman III

Replying to this thread again with an update.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600x and a ASUS X570-PLUS (WIFI) motherboard.

I purchased a new motherboard (MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI) and have had all my crashed disappear. My build has never been more stable.

My guess is that motherboard manufacturers were racing to support Ryzen chips, but their first line of mobos had an imperfect chipset that was causing issues.

0 Likes

Had same problem Ryzen 3600x MSI tomahawk Max, constant crashes and boot loops, only way I could get it to run stable was to change vcore voltage from auto and set voltage to 1.25v 

0 Likes

What other hardware do you have? I have the same msi b550 board with a Ryzen 3600 + gigabyte 5600 xt, and 2x8 GB GSKILL 3200. I'm getting these reboots/, kernel events on low load, and occasionally flashing black screens either while playing a game or just after closing it. So it's not only the motherboard I think.

0 Likes

Here are my current specs (after replacing my mobo):

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600
Storage: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND
Power Supply: Corsair RM Series™ RM750 — 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI AM4

And still, since replacing my mobo, I still haven't encountered any issues — which is weird if we have the same mobo.

mvh what is the exact model of your G.Skill RAM? And is there any chance you have a spare mobo lying around that you could maybe switch out with?

0 Likes
mvh
Journeyman III

G.Skill DDR4 Aegis 2x8GB 3200MHz [F4-3200C16D-16GIS]

I found out that this particular type is not listed in the motherboard compatibility lost, so I've ordered a new pair of compatible DDR (due tomorrow) and will return this.

I will update after I receive the new modules.

I don't have a spare motherboard, my old setup is an am3+ with ddr3 so that's not going to work. I tested my old GPU as well as PSU though, besides testing both gskill individually. The problem persisted, so it's down to CPU, motherboard, or ram so I'm starting with the easiest component

Edit: received ram but it's 4.32 not 4.31 however I find reports that this would be stable with xmp. Problem for persists but now I also got a POST beep for VGA. Guess I'm returning the motherboard, as I have now tested pretty much all peripherals.

0 Likes
demon000
Journeyman III

Hi there,

I had a similar problem when I built my system, using an MSI Tomahawk Max B450, a Ryzen 3600 and G.Skill Ripjaws V memory. My system would randomly reboot on idle or very low loads. I tried many things, but the fix for me was to manually set the memory voltage to 1.35v in BIOS, XMP was enabled already, but for some reason it seemed like the motherbard wasn't giving it enough juice.

Just created the account to comment this in case it might be of help.