cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

yekcimickey
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3600 cores at 4080 all the time, even at idle.

Hi. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 processor with a Scythe Fuma 2 mounted on top. 

The issue I am experiencing, is that all six cores of the processor are clocking at 4080 MHz at idle

Things I have tried:

• Setting Power Plan to Balanced, to High Performance, to Ultimate Performance, to AMD Ryzen Balanced and to AMD Ryzen High Performance.
  • Resetting BIOS settings.
  • Clean Windows 10 Education install.

The constant clock speeds of 4050, 4075, 4080 and 4100 are confirmed by Ryzen Master, CPU-Z and HWInfo.

PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

Ryzen Master screenshot - Album on Imgur 

0 Likes
10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

yekcimickey, first quit running HWinfo!  Also uninstall it and any other other strange applications you find on your system.  Your image is all cut off and it is not necessary to use external links.  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the complete image into your reply.  Here is a little truth:  Processor do not do things on their own.  The OS schedules/dispatches work to the processor and the processor executes it.  Your system is running at speed because it has work to do.  Stop sending it work and it will slow down - way down!  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

pastedImage_1.png

Is this better?

I've uninstalled HWInfo and CPU-Z, Battle.net and Chrome shouldn't be interfering, as this issue was present even directly after a Reset of Windows 10.

0 Likes

Do you have any advice, misterj? I would appreciate a second look.

0 Likes

yekcimickey, something is running, really running!  What is it?  Please close all applications including Chrome.  What Power Plan are you running?  Sorry this is my first look at your RM shot, must have missed it when you posted.  Please post another RM shot after closing all applications and doing a Clear CMOS.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

scan you box for malware

check for a BIOS update too

0 Likes

I have scanned my PC with Malwarebytes. No vulnerabilities or anything found. 

I have updated my BIOS, but without result. My BIOS version is 35, which is the most updated BIOS version.

0 Likes

yekcimickey, it is not impossible, I guess, for the chip to go crazy.  I have seen none of this.  Please open an AMD Online Support.  And see if they have seen it.  Please completely disconnect your system from the Internet.  Open the MS Task Manager and click on the top of the CPU column until the task with the highest CPU % comes to the top.  I assume you have closed all known applications like Chrome and run CB.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Misterj, thank you for your time! The issue was fixed by deleting the current Windows and throwing a different Windows on the PC through a bootable USB. Resetting Windows through its own "Reset your PC" was not enough. 

So for anyone reading and searching for a solution, the solution is installing a new Windows copy through a bootable USB. The option "Reset your PC" inside the Recovery settings aren't enough.

0 Likes

Thanks, yekcimickey.  hardcoregames™ may well have been correct - malware.  The USB installation had nothing to do with it, just the fresh install.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

yekcimickey wrote:

Misterj, thank you for your time! The issue was fixed by deleting the current Windows and throwing a different Windows on the PC through a bootable USB. Resetting Windows through its own "Reset your PC" was not enough. 

So for anyone reading and searching for a solution, the solution is installing a new Windows copy through a bootable USB. The option "Reset your PC" inside the Recovery settings aren't enough.

if you reset does not work, but the USB stick does suggests the recovery was badly damaged 

so the fresh install has removed whatever was causing your CPU to run hard.

0 Likes