Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Hatch33
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3600, core speed spikes when idle

Hello everyone, 

I have a ryzen 5 3600 with msi b450 and I have just put the system into the new case. When I started the system in the new PC case, I started hearing weird noise from it and thought it was the PC case fan. Only to realize it was cpu fan, and when I inspected temperature of the cpu I noticed it was well above 80 degrees celsius (176 F) with spikes in cpu speed from 3.2 to 4GHz.

I checked the BIOS to make sure it's not overclocked, but I don't overclock the system since it's plenty fast for what I need. I'll try to set the speed manually in the BIOS and see what happens.

I have seen people sharing similar issues they had, but nothing works for me.

Hope someone knows what's going on,
Cheers!

EDIT: Ok so I updated BIOS. I have been tampering with all BIOS  cpu features (ended up disabling PBO though I think it doesn't do anything, and enabled AMD cool'n'quiet). Installed new amd chipset and then temperature spike and stayed at 80-85deg when idle. I went into power plan->change plan settings->advanced->processor power management and set minimum to 50% maximum to 90% held it there some time, while he was constantly at 90%(3.2MHz) speed and finally he dropped to 700MHz when idle and 1.0V with 35-40, so I turned back maximum to 100% and I hope it will stay like this...

Task Manager 12_14_2020 11_33_10 AM.pngCore Temp 1.16 12_14_2020 11_46_19 AM.png

0 Likes
1 Reply