cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rikaki__
Adept I

Ryzen 5 3600 Constant 90+ temps when gaming

My recent build is not going well. My R5 3600 idle temps is around 50c-ish. When playing e.g Apex Legends, it spikes up to 90 and remains in the 90+ range throughout unless I alt tab. I am not sure where to go about with this. Not a great person with every knowledge on pc but I tried some things. E.g Remounting the heatsink and reapplying the thermal paste, tried different power cables (idk why) , tried a different gpu (GTX 960) which was better temp wise. Case fans I have 2 intakes and 1 exhaust. I've read that the stock cooler is decent till you decide to oc and in some other case, it's just straight up junk. Also when I brought to some computer shop, temps were perfectly fine running games. Either the a/c in the store was strong or his monitor since the only difference in the setup when I tested in that store was his 60hz monior

Current Rig :

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Stock cooler)

GPU : ASRock Radeon 5700XT Challenger

Case : Gigabyte C200 Glass

Ram : T-Force Za 8x2 3600

Mobo : B450 Aorus Pro Wifi

PSU : FSP Hexa+ 550W

5 Replies

To rule out poor air circulation in your computer case, Remove the side panel where your CPU and Cooler are located and put a fan to blow inside the computer case. See if your Temps continue to go at or above 90C. If you don't have a fan then just see if your temperatures are lower with just the side panel removed.

Stock Cooler should maintain the CPU within it operating temperatures which is why it might be poor air circulation inside the computer case.

Your CPU Maximum Operating Temperature is 95C so you are getting close to the Maximum Temperature. Normally at heavy loads your Processor Temps should be in the low 80's C with a good CPU Cooler installed.

If temps are still high you might want to upgrade the Wraith with a more powerful CPU Cooler and see if it maintains your processor cooler during heavy loads.

Also is your computer in a very warm room by any chance?

0 Likes

Ok I tried the removal of the side panel and have a fan blowing into it. Temps did drop. Tried gaming with the open panel and the fan and that resulted in better temps around 75c max while gaming if I recalled correctly and around an avg of 45c idle. Then I proceeded to try with no fans and just an open panel. Higher temps for sure. 86c max while gaming. It does have this consistent pattern when it comes to temp spikes. Does this mean I need to get better case fans or something? My computer is under my desk. There's still room around it I suppose.

0 Likes

It does indicate you need better air circulation in your computer case since 86C is a reasonable temperature for heavy loads using a stock cooler.

The Temps with the fan blowing in your computer case are pretty consistent with a more powerful CPU Cooler than with a Stock CPU Cooler.

My wife doesn't have a computer case made for good Air flow. It has one large fan in the rear of the computer case plus the usual fans from the CPU Cooler and GPU.  One day I notice the CPU was overheating more than usual. Found out the rear Computer case fan became defective. I ordered a stronger Case fan and now the CPU never overheats anymore.

I was amazed how one case fan affected both my CPU and GPU temperatures.

EDIT: Of course your Ambient Temperature (Room Temperature) is also a big factor in temperatures in your computer case. If your in Air conditioned room your temps will probably much lower than in a warm room temperature without Air Conditioning.

0 Likes

Well went to change some case fans today. Still getting those high temps. I'm trying not to resort to getting another cpu cooler. I've seen vids and threads were their stock cooler works just fine. 

0 Likes

Stock CPU Cooler are fine for regular computer uses like surfing or watching videos or playing games.  As long as the stock cooler can maintain your CPU temperatures below 90C regularly under heavy loads or stress then you should have no problems. 

But the CPU Cooler effectiveness is affected by several factors, like good air circulation inside the computer case, ambient temperature where computer is located at, good contact with CPU surface, etc.

can you upload a photo of your computer case where it is located at under your desk?

My computer is also under my computer desk on my right side. But I have a Cooler Master HAF X Computer case that maximizes air flow inside the computer case. The computer case has 5 - 200MM case fans plus my GPU card that has large 2 fans and my Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO  ($~35.00) which has installed 2 - 120MM fans. all which contributes to maximize air flow inside the computer case.

normally what is the temperature of your room where the computer is located at? Above or around 85F?

Even if you upgrade your CPU Cooler if the air entering the computer case is hot, the CPU will run hot no matter what you do.

Just keep the computer side panel off then if that doesn't bother you. As long as it maintains the CPU temperatures at 85C or below during heavy loads or stress it is worth the trouble.

Make sure your computer is clean and dust free as much as possible especially around the computer case's intake vents or exhausts.

0 Likes